• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

GGPO online Alpha 2, MvC, KoF98, Vampire Saviour... pc software no lag!

Started by fluxcore, June 25, 2007, 03:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Yeah man, Mexican Hat is a beast. Is Sakura hurts alot.

A reminder and an eye opener to people new to GGPO

AUSSIE KIWI TOURNEY!!!!

http://www.ozhadou.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39255#39255

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

fluxcore

I've been out for the past week, but expect me to be on GGPO the next few nights in anticipation :) Foolishly I've been practicing Super Turbo for no real good reason, when I guess I should have been practicing A2 :)

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Build 18 is out, haven't had a game on it yet, but it requires the new directx runtime if anyone has probs.

Edit: Had a few games with CptMunta, new version seems pretty sweet to me. Couple of niggles, but even just the in-game chat feature is pretty nifty. Also, since it uses a new Final Burn Alpha, I can have all the nice dot blitters and triple buffering hoo-wah!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Build 19 out, big new feature is a spectator mode...
As always, http://ggpo.net

--flux

fluxcore

Spoke too soon, almost instantly build 20 is released, which now also supports Marvel Vs Capcom! Which is a ridiculous game, personally I like X-Men vs SF more, but hey, can't complain...

--flux

Biggles

Playing this recently has pretty much been my introduction to playing fighting games against other people. (Have been playing a little for around a week now.) Most of my other experience in fighting games has been limited to trying out a little it of SF/Soul Calibur vs the CPU and playing ssbm with my mates (I'm somewhat proficient at smash technically but have little experience vs decent humans). It's been really awesome fun so far and I think that I've improved a little. Awesome app, this is. Good games to all you guys who have destroyed me at it so far.  ;D

fluxcore

Quote from: Biggles on November 03, 2007, 08:56:16 PM
Playing this recently has pretty much been my introduction to playing fighting games against other people. (Have been playing a little for around a week now.) Most of my other experience in fighting games has been limited to trying out a little it of SF/Soul Calibur vs the CPU and playing ssbm with my mates (I'm somewhat proficient at smash technically but have little experience vs decent humans). It's been really awesome fun so far and I think that I've improved a little. Awesome app, this is. Good games to all you guys who have destroyed me at it so far.  ;D

Always good to see new faces (both on NZism and on GGPO) - Not too many players from NZ, but matches to AU and sometimes even west coast US are good. Welcome to the site, anyway :)

One thing is for sure that playing against people is very different from playing the CPU - luckily you live in AKL so you actually have some people that you can play against (Yifan's is in all likelihood the best arcade in NZ). Laymen tend to think fighting games are all about pulling off the biggest combos, but in fact it's about making the openings by fooling the opponent, which really doesn't work against the computer. Best thing to do is just keep playing against people of similar skill, and have people you can ask for tips so that you can get the upper hand :)

So yeah, if you ever want to organise some matches or want some gameplay advice or whatever, just give us a shout here on the boards, or you can ask me over IM as well.

Cheers,
--flux

Biggles

Quote from: fluxcore on November 03, 2007, 09:54:49 PM
Quote from: Biggles on November 03, 2007, 08:56:16 PM

Always good to see new faces (both on NZism and on GGPO) - Not too many players from NZ, but matches to AU and sometimes even west coast US are good. Welcome to the site, anyway :)

One thing is for sure that playing against people is very different from playing the CPU - luckily you live in AKL so you actually have some people that you can play against (Yifan's is in all likelihood the best arcade in NZ). Laymen tend to think fighting games are all about pulling off the biggest combos, but in fact it's about making the openings by fooling the opponent, which really doesn't work against the computer. Best thing to do is just keep playing against people of similar skill, and have people you can ask for tips so that you can get the upper hand :)

So yeah, if you ever want to organise some matches or want some gameplay advice or whatever, just give us a shout here on the boards, or you can ask me over IM as well.

Cheers,
--flux
Thanks. :]

I've been previously aware of the importance of mind-games in fighting games because of reading, especially about ssbm but also sirlin's playing to win, that I've done on the subject. This is my first time actually learning to use prediction in fighting games though, which not surprisingly is quite different to reading about its importance. It's been interesting seeing the different types of mins games people have been using on ggpo, etc. I'll definitely be asking for advice on the forums when  get stuck and continuing to practise.

EDIT: Holy shit. Build 022 out with match replays uploaded online for viewing at http://ggpo.net/dojo/ once you have the build. I'm grabbing it now and am about to give it a shot. The ability to watch your own matches and take note of your mistakes should be fairly incredible.

fluxcore

I *JUST* signed onto GGPO and see the same... the 'dojo' feature is LUDICROUSLY good. Basically they've been recording all the matches from build 21, and now have a website which allows you to search and view all the matches (and download them) - so you can see your mistakes & also watch the best people and steal their tricks :)))

GGPO just gets better and better - ridiculously awesome feature.

--flux

fluxcore

New games added, The King of Fighters 98, Vampire Saviour, and D&D:SOM (which ain't really a fighting game?!)

Gino has even been getting in on the GGPO action and loving the Dojo, not loving my Sakura however :DDD

--flux

Gino

sakura makes me angry. Kof98 is sweet though, although the entire population of Korea play it.

Orochi

Gino