• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Question for the NZism masses

Started by Lennysaurus, December 21, 2010, 01:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

So heres the thing guys.

Our tournaments are always great events.  We all have loads of fun, and people go home and rave.  One aspect that we would like to improve on is the sponsorship.

An idea that Rory had was for us to appeal to certain stores by way of guaranteeing them X amount of pre-orders for games.  (e.g.: MVC3 coming out in february).

How keen would the community be at supporting this if it were the case?  Would we be too presumptuous to guarantee 15 copies?  More?  Less?

Speak people!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

electric

Well considering the mass success the PS360 order thread was, the majority of us don't mind pre-ordering if it's going to:

a) be cheaper for everyone (our ourselves)
b) be beneficial for some reason or another

If it helps, I'll be pre order #1.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

samurai black

geneterror

I think it's a good idea. I usually buy from Mightyape, what sort of store were you thinking?

Also like a few other PS3 people I tend to get the U.S copy of any games that don't have an international simultaneous release. ie MvC3 is coming out everywhere at the same time so I would comment to whatever store you guys chose but I'm guessing with KOFXIII the U.S version will be out 3 months before the PAL version so I would grab it from an import store, probably first games or maybe mightyape.
KOW 2011

geneterror

By the way any chance we could approach Mightyape. Just because I would prefer to support a NZ store and given their smaller size they are more likely to want the advertising. Which leads to another advantage of not having to deal with a big chain store and all their politics/red tape.
Plus they do imports, so it kind of covers what I said above about imports.
KOW 2011

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Also, even if we bulk ordered like 15-20 copies and people DIDNT want them, we can always whack that shit on trademe to recoup some of our losses.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

scribble

Keen if it helps the tourney organisers. +1 pre order for me

"I hope the Yama Kings have mercy upon your soul, for I shall not" - Hsien-Ko

IR U IM B IL E

"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

originaljulz

I'm keen. It'd have to be somewhat beneficial to us, like the other guys said. Price is the number one factor when choosing where I'll buy a game. Maybe not beneficial, but just as long as its not more expensive than what I would have bought the game for after searching around like I would have otherwise. Get my meaning?

If it's something like, EB with gay prices then lame. (I went to the midnight launch for Black Ops, and they told me they weren't price matching to JB's price which was like $17 cheaper, and I was like fuck that I'll pick it up tomorrow.) I agree with Graeme, on approaching Mighty Ape and stuff. It'd also probably be easier, since EB does have all those issues with being a chain etc, and being owned by that bigger company (forget the name.)
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

massi4h

Yeah definitely keen but wouldn't be if it was more than like $10 to $15 more than the cheapest in NZ

Skullator

Sounds pretty win\win. Would be cool if we could make it work for both parties.

And yeah we always seem to end up buying the same games anyway, let's be honest who here ISN'T going to end up owning a copy of a major release game like MvC3 or SF v Tekken lol.
If there's any benefit to be had by streamlining our purchases to a potential sponsor, we might as well try make it happen.

CrazyMobius

jpb123

"An idea that Rory had was for us to appeal to certain stores by way of guaranteeing them X amount of pre-orders for games.  (e.g.: MVC3 coming out in february)."

Am not being mean or trolling or w/e but that idea is EVER 50/50!

If you want a sponsorship its best way is to promote X sponsor at the event with a deal that makes you want to go to they store / website etc.

E.g. 10% off this item for only this X amount of time at X store X website etc etc.

Also you need to show that a lot of people will go to the event.

What I seen work really well is streams with promotes. I didnt if NZ stream they events but that deffo get you a crowd.

I have abit of xp with this with Counter strikes tounrys back in the UK. We got some gear ( mouses,mousemat, keyboards etc ) because there normally collected editions items that never sell and are locked in the back and normally you get them for free if you promote or on the cheap. The items are normally old games like Guild wars etc that had custom made mouses, mousemats had for release but didnt sell.

Also if any of work for a IT firm or a company or a retail store that will work. If you get a someone who works there on your side there a 90% your get something.

Maybe contact some clothing lines.

http://www.brokentier.com/products < mite be a good start. I got afew of they items top stuff!

Also arcade sticks seem to be a good prize.

CptMunta

Jade at gamestation in chch has been very good to us. They gave us 10 bucks off ssf4 for our release party and they sold pretty well. He might be able to hook you up since they ship all over. Only issue would be the time it takes to send to you guys. For me I want the game on release and waiting a day for 10 bucks ain't worth it.

I'm going to be away for marvel's release otherwise I'd be trying to hustle some mech like last tourney out of Monaco. I'm goin to try and hustle some pavement art before I go and see what I can score. If you guys contact monaco and hook up with a retailer for a release party/tourney maybe that'll help.

They don't care so much about the core audience who are already probably buying the game. It's pulling in the random curious buyers with hype which makes them interested sadly.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta