• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Super Street Fighter IV A.E.

Started by acewingz, December 22, 2010, 10:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

massi4h

OK then we'll leave it at that.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Recieved PM. Yea, massive amounts of miscommunication. Basically, everyone is right and we all agree. But none of us can read.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Nick4now

Quote from: Lennysaurus on April 19, 2011, 12:08:22 AM
I think you are confusing scrubs with someone who is new to the game, or just isn't competitive.

A scrub is someone that learns nothing, and generally plays the same way regardless of the situation presented to them, and has no interest in improving the way they play. I generally wouldn't consider a flowcharter a scrub, just someone who is new or having some lols online.

A big trend I notice a lot lately with NZism, is when someone thinks that a character being hard to execute makes them a difficult character, or a character being easy to execute making them an easy character.  I think everyone needs to remember that regardless of how hard it is to "use" the character, that people should be evaluating them by their moveset and it's effectiveness as if played to it's full potential.

The other thing is that Street Fighter IV in general is pretty linear, and anyone who imagines it to be some massively deep Street Fighter game is pretty much tripping.  This doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game from time to time, but I definitely accept it for what it is.  So my opinion is that except for maybe 2 characters, anyone could pick up any character in Street Fighter IV, and put a few weeks in and be able to access the metagame in very little time.  And TBH even the 2 characters that I see as having big execution barriers (Viper and Elf) aren't that bad at all.

It's weird though.  I think as Street Fighter IV has evolved through the 3 iterations now, that I prefer Vanilla to the rest.  As mentioned above, I feel that in the current state of the games, that people are encouraged to play a very risky style, and that it can be a frustrating game to play when you are actually trying to play the game at a deeper psychological level.  The low damage that has carried over to super, coupled with the easy input system has skewed the risk/reward ratio in an odd way.  Furthermore, Rush characters that are effective tend to have a "get in for free card", and almost every character has some form of reversal for very little meter, or with little or no risk.

I generally feel that you have a far greater chance of losing a game against an opponent that isn't as mentally strong as you in Street Fighter IV than in most other Street Fighter games.  And this has generally compounded itself with each iteration of the game.

Wasn't singling you out Nick, Just an observation I have made over the last few months.

Ahhh I see, thanks for clearing that up. Also that was a really good read  :D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

staffid

played A.E for the first time yesterday at yifans.
not sure whats going on my moves wouldnot come out it looked like it was lagging more than online and just generally frustrated me.
is the timing for A.E totally diffrent than ssf4 or have the idiots at yifans linked there screens wrong because i swear id press a button or do a move and it would come out late hell i couldnt even do 2 frame links it was enough to make me not want to play again. im not the best player but im not a newbie either having over 4500pp on ssf4 means i should be able to do the basics lol.
but going on yesterday the only word i can think of to describe the experience is FAIL.
thoughts anyone

Lennysaurus

Quote from: staffid on April 21, 2011, 07:57:48 AM
played A.E for the first time yesterday at yifans.
not sure whats going on my moves wouldnot come out it looked like it was lagging more than online and just generally frustrated me.
is the timing for A.E totally diffrent than ssf4 or have the idiots at yifans linked there screens wrong because i swear id press a button or do a move and it would come out late hell i couldnt even do 2 frame links it was enough to make me not want to play again. im not the best player but im not a newbie either having over 4500pp on ssf4 means i should be able to do the basics lol.
but going on yesterday the only word i can think of to describe the experience is FAIL.
thoughts anyone

The monitors at Yiffans were really laggy the last time I was in there.

Head down to Timezone (the one in the Burger King).  No lag, and generally cheaper anyway.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Rorooze

Yifans is really laggy. Hit up TZ imo.

massi4h

Yeah it's sad how yifans have lost all the good ssf4 players. I wish they could just sort it out and we could go back there (no offense to TZ). I haven't tried it since they got all 4 monitors but I'm assuming it's gonna be the same. Also double dollars all easter at TZ btw.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Has anyone tried talking to the technicians at yifans?? I think they will be more than happy to sort out this issue for everybody.
And they probably don't know about the existence of the lag.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on April 21, 2011, 11:46:09 AM
Has anyone tried talking to the technicians at yifans?? I think they will be more than happy to sort out this issue for everybody.
And they probably don't know about the existence of the lag.

yeah someone told them, but I can't remember who.

It is more to do with the monitors they use for it than anything else Hue.  They are basically just Sony 32 inch TV's strapped to a cabinet.

electric

Quote from: Lennysaurus on April 21, 2011, 12:18:11 PM
yeah someone told them, but I can't remember who.

It is more to do with the monitors they use for it than anything else Hue.  They are basically just Sony 32 inch TV's strapped to a cabinet.

Anyone asked them to turn on Game Mode ? lol
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

zos'la

yeah, Im just going to be at TZ until they fix it...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

i see..... I will talk to the technicians about this issue when I'm back and see if they are keen to fix it. No offense to TZ but I like yifans more. Yifans seem to have more nice girls walking around and it's nice to check them out while playing, that's the best part. ^_^

So all they have to do is changing their monitors or switch it to game mode, right??

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on April 21, 2011, 06:16:20 PM
i see..... I will talk to the technicians about this issue when I'm back and see if they are keen to fix it. No offense to TZ but I like yifans more. Yifans seem to have more nice girls walking around and it's nice to check them out while playing, that's the best part. ^_^

So all they have to do is changing their monitors or switch it to game mode, right??

Nah itll have to be new monitors.  Even game mode won't bring the lag down to acceptable limits.

massi4h

TZ have 32" monitors as well, though. I don't know the difference between the 2, but it could just be the settings on one.

Rorooze

the ones at TZ are digital signage or something which don't have post processing on them. probably similar to the screens they use in japan.