• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

2011 Hyper Fighting Tourney

Started by Nick4now, February 01, 2011, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LN

Don't care. My point still stands.
There is no knowledge that is not power

Rorooze

What, that you're not even interested in a tournament for a game that you think is probably one of, if not, the best fighting game ever? With more entrants than we had at Christmas Damager? Struggling to see your point TBH.

Single elimination just means you gotta be sharp, I know HF has some random shit (dizzys) but with best of 3 you should be fine. The fact it was single elimination was well known before the tournament and with a prize of $760 meant the $20 risk you take is pretty low if you are a good player.

LN

The fact it was single elim was well known before the tournament, yes, and it was also well known before the tournament that I wasn't interested.

Single elim works in Japan because their tournaments have NO entry fees and also NO prizes. Replacing that with high entry fee and only #1 getting cash is in my opinion, ridiculous.  And only getting any payoff for getting first in single elim is NOT a low risk. You have to be fucking joking.

It's not like I'm saying no-one should have entered, just that I had 0 interest due to the format. Also it being on a weekday and me having to drive for 2 hrs at considerable expense didn't help.

Rorooze

Well there is no need to come into this thread and rain on everyones parade if you're not interested in participating.

Assuming you are actually serious about the prize money and good at the game, roughly even in skill to everyone else at the tournament, then you could say your odds of winning is approximately 3.125%. If your paying $20 dollars to enter a $760 prize pot then the percentage of the pot you are paying is 2.63%, so yeah, statistically speaking it's a worthwhile risk.

If you know people at the tournament can beast you then it's probably not worth entering :p

LN

So you don't think I should agree with people when they say that they would prefer double elimination? Especially if it was the main reason I didn't want to go in the first place? The whole reason of posting something like that is to say if the format was different I WOULD have been interested in participating. I'm staggered that you as a tournament 'admin' don't think feedback like that is useful.

Rorooze

No, I think it is fine that you agree with other people that the tournament should be double elimination; but surely as someone who has run a tournament before you would understand that when you only have finite resources you can only do so much before the resources you have are exhausted.

LN

As a player I don't particularly care how they do it. If they want a more attractive tournament structure then they can do some thinking, now that they know some people would like dbl elim.

As someone who has run tournaments I have a pretty good idea that with the resources they gained/had available they COULD have had some options that may have made it possible, had they desired. It's not my prerogative to tell them how to run shit, only to say that I would prefer other things. And if they act upon some of these requests, if they want ideas then they can ask some of us folk who DO have a bit of experience running tourneys. Most likely in allcaps.

CoMa

IMHO, single elimination was the most practical format in this instance. Given the six months between now and the proposed Nationals, I am hopeful that a double elimination format can be implemented for it. It is reasonable to expect that this will require a greater time commitment from both officials and players . However, it will be better for players as opposed to  'one & done'.

I am quite sure that with the right planning and promotion, this will be a very successful and enjoyable event for all involved. This is especially applicable for all the people who for one reason or another weren't able to compete this time around.

BLADE

Single elim was the only way, double elim wouldve went for 5hrs... too long
was a mint turn out & the 38 contests knew the rules & was happy to enter.
SF2 Hyper NZ Nationals August... lock it in boyz

LN

Too long with only one setup, maybe.

CoMa

Quote from: LN on February 18, 2011, 12:09:34 PM
Too long with only one setup, maybe.

There were two arcade cabinets going.

BLADE

SF2 Hyper NZ Nationals will be open entry & the top 4 from the auckland champs will automatically go through to round 2.
this will be bigger than the last comp, more players more money.
alot of dudes will be travelling out of town for this, go hard boyz.
will be trying my best to get some sponsors on board as Im running this out of my own time & money.
thanks heaps for the support everyone, awesome to meet new faces.

CrazyMobius

Actually I kinda liked the single elim. It meant that if someone got beat you didn't have to worry about them anymore.  ;D

Nick4now

Oh so that was only Auckland Champs? Hmmm there's pretty much no point in doing one here in Christchurch so I'd like to dub myself the HF Champ of Christchurch by default.

Do I automatically get through to Round 2 at Nats?  ;D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

CoMa

Quote from: Nick4now on February 18, 2011, 02:11:56 PM
Oh so that was only Auckland Champs? Hmmm there's pretty much no point in doing one here in Christchurch so I'd like to dub myself the HF Champ of Christchurch by default.

Do I automatically get through to Round 2 at Nats?  ;D

LMAO ok I come down then me, you and Redtie can have the 3-man Chch HF Champs at your house so I can come 3rd and skip the first round of nationals bahaha