• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Just Started Playing Fighting Games!

Started by theINFAMOUSkiwi, February 02, 2011, 11:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theINFAMOUSkiwi

Hey guys, I am not new to gaming but I am new to fighting games.

I just brought SSF4 the other day and I am really enjoying it but I suck real bad it, I have 2 Wins and 12 Losses.

I started out using Gouken and Ryu but discovered a love for Dhalsim, Fei Long and Seth. my first question is who should I main out of those guys?

I do the best with Dhalsim
Seth suits my playing style
Fei Long is my Favourite

Who out of those should I mainly use?

Also I would really like to find some people to play with and practice with me, a training partner if you want. I am no good so don't expect a pro but I am eager to get much better at the game.

If you guys want to play me or help me out add me on: theINFAMOUSkiwi

It would be VERY appreciated. Anyway.

Cheers, Corey.

CrazyMobius

Hey Corey,
Welcome. I would recommend Dhalsim as you can get wins pretty easy by doing some pretty easy tricks. Fei Long and even moreso Seth require a lot of skill to be successful.

As you have probably found, fighting games are a bit different than other games and the more you play them the more you will discover. It's like peeling layers of of an onion.

Hope to see you online.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Hey Bro,

Welcome to the site. Good to see new people getting into things!

All the characters you've chosen have really high skill caps. By that I mean, their top level stuff takes a fair bit of effort to pull off properly.

Seth probably isnt a character I would recommend for a new person. He has really low health, so he dies really really fast.

Either of the other 2 are good choices. If Fei Long is your favourite, I would personally go with him. He has some awesome combos, and his normal attacks are really really good. He has a really strong offensive AND defensive game. Probably a really good option to learn the fundamental elements of the game, particularly compared to the other two.

Dhalsim basically has one of the best defensive games in SSF4. Smashing people from half the screen away is pretty awesome. Unfortunately he is probably the character im the worst with out of the entire cast, so im not the best guy to be giving you advice.

But yea, either of those will be fine for a beginner. Probably more Fei than Sim though. Theyre not as easy to start with as say, Ryu or Ken, but if you like them, use them imo.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Flash

Hey bro do you have a mic? be keen to teach you what i know if you have a mic.

****Up or i'll scratch yo face with my stubby little arms!

IR U IM B IL E

Seth is so much fun but I reckon you need to have a good idea of the basics of SSF4 be able to be good with him. You just have to keep your mistakes to a minimum cos he has the lowest health. I've been playing Seth for about 6 months now but been at SF4 since it came out and going by my last ranbats I still make a hell of alot of mistakes with him.
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

Rorooze

Hey dude, are you based in Auckland or Christchurch? If so you should try come along to one of the meet ups and someone would probably be able to show you the basics and give you some good pointers. Check the relevant forums for details.

As for your character, I'd go with Fei Long, he's pretty good in super and when the arcade edition DLC drops on console he'll be even better!

Lennysaurus

G'day bro.  Where abouts do you live btw?  If you are in Auckland we run regular events that are definitely the best way to level up quickly.

With regard your choice of character, I think that sim is more of a character for people that have played alot of Street Fighter in the past and have decent understanding of spacing and control.  If you haven't got that stuff down yet, you'll get blown up alot and get frustrated I think.

Seth is a similar situation.  He would be one of the hardest, if not the hardest character in a street fighter game to start learning.  Too many options, and not enough room for error.

I think your choice of Fei Long is a good one.  He has solid offensive and defensive options.  Good pressure.  And he is pretty safe most of the time.  His combos are slightly execution heavy, but a few hours in training mode will sort you out.  His zoning and poking options are decent, which I think is really important for new players learning street fighter to get the hang of.

You definitely haven't chosen the easiest characters to learn, but you'll get there with effort.  If anything get your defense down pat first.  Learn to block alot to understand your opponents motives within a match, and learn how to OS crouch tech (plenty of vids around).  Get into the habit of blocking your way out of pressure without relying on gimmicky stuff to get you out and you'll be golden in time to come.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

theINFAMOUSkiwi

Thanks for the reply's guys, I live in West Auckland.

I think I am just gonna mess around with all 3 of those characters and see which I do the best with but I think I might not try Seth just yet because you mentioned he is hard to master and he has low health.

Like I said I live in Auckland and these get togethers sound fun, do you have to be a certain age to come?

Quote from: Flash on February 03, 2011, 12:17:43 AM
Hey bro do you have a mic? be keen to teach you what i know if you have a mic.

I have a mic, add me tonight if you can if not I will add you when I can.

Cheers, Corey.

geneterror

Anyone any age is welcome to Ranbats. Come along, first time is free ;D

I'm on PSN add  me geneterror666, I have a mic as well but don't get to use it that much except for late at night  and weekends because my TV is in  the same as the TV that my wife uses to watch TV so I can't be talking over her TV while she is trying to watch something ;)

I have a USB keyboard though so I can use chat.
KOW 2011

Lennysaurus

Quote from: theINFAMOUSkiwi on February 03, 2011, 10:40:50 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys, I live in West Auckland.

WWEEESSSTTTT SSSYYYYDDDEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming you are playing on pad?

theINFAMOUSkiwi

Quote from: Ngati Kahungunu Champ on February 03, 2011, 11:00:17 AM
WWEEESSSTTTT SSSYYYYDDDEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm assuming you are playing on pad?

aahhhh.... Whats a pad? lol

Lennysaurus

Like a regular PS3 controller, as opposed to an arcade stick.

theINFAMOUSkiwi

Oh, yea I do.

I'm not gonna get a arcade stick untill I am actually some what good at the game lol

Pjai

Nice to see new players :D and more batmans on the PSN crew.

Just go with the char/style you enjoy playing the most. Wins will come after a while, no1 wins from Day 1.

Add me on PSN: Pjai   

Quote from: geneterror on February 03, 2011, 10:56:07 AM
Anyone any age is welcome to Ranbats. Come along, first time is free ;D

I'm on PSN add  me geneterror666, I have a mic as well but don't get to use it that much except for late at night  and weekends because my TV is in  the same as the TV that my wife uses to watch TV so I can't be talking over her TV while she is trying to watch something ;)

I have a USB keyboard though so I can use chat.

Thought u nvr play SSF4 now, just all BB, GT and DC Universe Online haha, hows DC Universe btw?

geneterror

I don't really play SSF4 much anymore but I'm happy to help out new players.

DC Universe is awesome!
KOW 2011