• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Anyone noticing a lul?

Started by Lennysaurus, March 23, 2011, 05:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Just been tossing this around in my head lately.

Anyone else noticing a bit of a lul at the moment?

For example, last couple of Ranbats, and even "First Blood" seemed to have smaller numbers.  I would have thought that MVC3 would have exploded our turnouts, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

In saying that though, I am super busy at the moment and am having trouble making time for anything let alone fighting games.  SO this has meant that I can't even make the next two ranbats!

So what's the haps with everyone else?  Not feeling it?

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Dafid

Ive never been to a ranbats or entered a tourney but if i had a job and money i would definitely come for some matches haha. i cant use a stick tho so i might feel stink or out of place having to switch controllers :P

electric

Personally, I just haven't been able to find the amount of time I'd love to be able to dedicate to MVC3. Real life commitments tend to limit that somewhat.

As for the bigger picture thing, it makes sense that if our community remains the same size post MVC3 (no new players) then the player base gets split - MVC3 has killed the SSF4 buzz for a lot of people, myself included, and some people simply don't like MVC3, so they stick to whatever they were playing - SSF4, AE etc.

The fact that MVC3 online sucks balls means that it's hard to find new players in order to recruit them - I initially took an interest in the scene after playing CptMunta at SF4 online and getting beasted, which fueled my fighting game spirit :P

TL;DR - No new guys + less existing guys = smaller scene and less competition to fuel the fire
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

CaptainHook

Quote from: electric on March 23, 2011, 06:53:35 PM
The fact that MVC3 online sucks balls means that it's hard to find new players in order to recruit them - I initially took an interest in the scene after playing CptMunta at SF4 online and getting beasted, which fueled my fighting game spirit :P

This is a good point. I haven't played MvC3 online except for the first week i had it. I really got into this community by playing Lenny
online at GGPO. Haha.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

Chocobuny

MvC3 generated so much hype for me, it was a real let down when I played it. And since I know in the back of my mind that I'm playing an outdated version of Street Fighter it is so much harder to bother training, especially since Cammy is totally different in AE.

I use my Aus Account more now just so I can play. Although getting real sick of fighting 3-4 bar Guile/Akuma/Blanka players.

karizzma

I know for me its mostly due to uni. Not just because it takes up my time but it also takes away all those days I was working so my money is low and you barely get enough to live on with a student allowance.

Maybe having a more local scene may help rustle up more interest for the bigger regional scene. Something like a South or West Auckland meet up every so often.
There are a lot of players out there its just trying to get them to get out of the house and get them to the ranbats/tournaments that seems to be the problem.

Quote from: electric on March 23, 2011, 06:53:35 PM
As for the bigger picture thing, it makes sense that if our community remains the same size post MVC3 (no new players) then the player base gets split - MVC3 has killed the SSF4 buzz for a lot of people, myself included, and some people simply don't like MVC3, so they stick to whatever they were playing - SSF4, AE etc.

I agree with this also.

Lennysaurus

Given that South Auckland and West Auckland are pretty well accessible now that the motorway runs out the bacck, and you can get to New Lynn in like 25 minutes, would you guys be keen on a regular get together out west?  Can organise that pretty easily I reckon.

massi4h

Yes definitely. Especially for mvc3 since online is so shit, I don't ever get anyone to play with :( But I'm even keen to level up my ssf4 by playing on LAN, though online is almost dead for it as well last time I checked.

jsculls

Haha I wish we had anywhere near enough people to have a ranbat. The only local I get to play is Barnstorm and that's only if we've got time to meet up one day on the weekend.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: jsculls on March 23, 2011, 08:10:30 PM
Haha I wish we had anywhere near enough people to have a ranbat. The only local I get to play is Barnstorm and that's only if we've got time to meet up one day on the weekend.

You guys in Wellington aye?

jsculls

Yeah I mean Wellington is a cool city but it's not a gaming city.

originaljulz

I haven't even turned on my PS3 since the week before First Blood. Basically I have classes at 9am almost every day, and afterwards I work till 7pm six days a week. So I'm out the house before 8am, and home after 8pm. I don't have time to play video games, or even go to the gym anymore :L
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

CptMunta

Quote from: Chocobuny on March 23, 2011, 07:17:33 PM
Although getting real sick of fighting 3-4 bar Guile/Akuma/Blanka players.

Come to mashups tomorrrow then  :P  ;) Super SF4 tourney and MvC3 hell even some MK demo if people are keen.

I think the quakes have shaken our local player base. We are down Kim and Andy and just 2 guys makes a big difference for us. Hopefully we can scab some more members once this local EB tourney finally happens. I saw the community being divided overseas when I was chatting to Haunt's at a day 2 Marvel tourney so maybe things will pick up once AE DLC comes out.

Yeah, I agree that MvC3 netcode has kind of dropped the ball a bit. Fantastic game, if you are playing the guy right beside you. Makes it harder to hop on voice chat in a lobby and learn and grow as a player. I guess we didn't know how lucky we were. We did ok playing in 2 player lobbies in vanilla though right?

I'm glad so many are heading overseas for Shadowloo Showdown though. Hopefully that can pep up the hype. :) Hell I'm hyped and I'm not even going!

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Pinolicious

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 23, 2011, 08:00:52 PM
Given that South Auckland and West Auckland are pretty well accessible now that the motorway runs out the bacck, and you can get to New Lynn in like 25 minutes, would you guys be keen on a regular get together out west?  Can organise that pretty easily I reckon.

Keen!
<PSN> Kriselda

CaptainHook

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 23, 2011, 08:00:52 PM

Would that make people more or less likely to come to ranbats etc?

I can imagine if i was in that situation, i would flag ranbats and goto the free regular get togethers and level up that way. :P
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K