• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Weekly Wellington RanBat

Started by jsculls, April 12, 2011, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kim

How about a season type format, where people are given points depending on how they place in each tournament. The winners would be those with the most points at the end of all 3(Or however many games we pick up). Prizes spread over 1st to 5th since it'll be 3 weeks worth of excess.

- Encourages people to get better at all games, making our overall scene stronger
- Prevents people ducking tournaments
- Maybe pick up a different 4th game every month for those people who want to play a game but don't have the competition for it

Just what I thought after reading Chuckk's beast post

Filter

how many setups are there?
will we be able to play causals while a tournament is on?

jsculls

Kim - Awesome idea doesn't stray too far from how it's run now and like you say encourages people across all the games which is absolutely awesome.

Filter - There are four set ups, two in each room.

moose!

I can't make it for the next few weeks, but do you guys have enough sticks to run 4 setups?
If not I'll drop my stick to Chuckk this afternoon for you guys to use.

jsculls

We'll only really need to run two set ups to be honest. If you could drop off your stick that'd be awesome.

moose!

IMO $5 is not that much money and I don't see the point in paying it out to winners... It seems a bit counter productive to take money from people that we want to encourage to come regularly to level up and give it to the people who will probably turn up anyways. I would rather see leftovers kept aside and used to fund more setups/time/cover any shortfalls that might come up. Maybe if it gets to a certain point we can have a free session if it hits a certain point.

Wow... what a commie bastard.

Filter

yeah I think I'd prefer it if the money went to running more setups so there is less waiting.
that way people that are new to a game will be more likely to play and they won't have to go up against the best player every time.

Barnstorm

At the moment i am stoked to be able to play games in person, sometimes learn stuff while we play and have a laugh

Right now I think having a tournament to prove/test your ability is good but having people come and get to know the people and maybe learn is the more important aspect so while winning money is nice right now i dont think its neccessary and could be used as stated before for other setups etc

Filter

If we did get that gold deal of $2.50 per machine it would cost $20 to hire 4 machines for 2 hours.
we'd only need 4 people to show up to cover that cost. but then that would only be 1 person per machine...

with the normal rate of $4 it would cost $32 to hire 4 machines for 2 hours.
We'd only need 7 people to show up to cover that.

that's about the limits of my maths ability. Either way there is always going to be some excess money.
iPlay is so much cheaper than OldBoy it's crazy. Is the place really shit or something?

with 3 or 4 setups going on at once there wouldn't be much waiting time and everyone could get a lot more play in during the session to level up.
It might be unlikely to get 8 sticks together. I'm pretty sure that some people don't mind playing on pad tho. last time there were a few people there that preferred pad.

Kim

We could still run an optional tournament every week with no prize money using the game of the week. Which would work out pretty well since jsculls mentioned it'd only take 2 setups, so we could allocate one room for tournaments and the other room for causals. And if the tournament doesn't have decent numbers we could always revert it back to a casual room.

I for one would like a more competitive aspect to these meet ups. I mean I get enough causal matches online and I want to see where I rank in Wellington.

As for the money, with the new prices, accruing money from the first two weeks could mean the third week would be free with the left over money constantly being put towards this free session. Would be mean to get in new blood that are a bit reluctant because of the fee.

Chuckk

Quote from: Kim on May 07, 2011, 11:11:03 AM
We could still run an optional tournament every week with no prize money using the game of the week. Which would work out pretty well since jsculls mentioned it'd only take 2 setups, so we could allocate one room for tournaments and the other room for causals. And if the tournament doesn't have decent numbers we could always revert it back to a casual room.

I for one would like a more competitive aspect to these meet ups. I mean I get enough causal matches online and I want to see where I rank in Wellington.

As for the money, with the new prices, accruing money from the first two weeks could mean the third week would be free with the left over money constantly being put towards this free session. Would be mean to get in new blood that are a bit reluctant because of the fee.

casuals online =/= causals offline. I agree with you in some respect but in the scheme of things ranking in wellington is pretty pointless as we'll all get raped by auckland players.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

B BOY DRAW2

Rape is such a harsh word...I prefer...suprise sex!
Anyways...this nationals...I plan on doing the suprise sexing  ;)
I bliss...like the fist...of the mantis...
Those who oppose get dropped and hit the canvas.

jsculls

Awesome games today guys. Next week we'll run SSFIV as a tournament just that we had alot more people keen on Tekken this week.

Tekken results:
1st Toothy
2nd Ajith
3rd KimYLim

Can really tell the difference in price from Old Boy to iPlay it's nice to be able to keep on playing and not worry about how much it's gonna cost to keep playing.

RE the skill levels the biggest thing for us to do is to actually have regular games against each other and have everyone improve. It's not just playing there it's actually the fact that there's something to improve for (so that you can test it each week). I'm already noticing big differences in people's play particularly in Tekken some of it is getting rid of the rust but people are actually coming up with new creative stuff instead of just doing the same thing over and over.

We've got just under $38 left over this week until we figure out what to do with it.

Kim

Buy us a fan! that place is toasty.

Materia

GGs guys.
Tekken is homo.

Quote from: Kim on May 06, 2011, 10:05:50 AM
How about a season type format, where people are given points depending on how they place in each tournament. The winners would be those with the most points at the end of all 3(Or however many games we pick up). Prizes spread over 1st to 5th since it'll be 3 weeks worth of excess.

- Encourages people to get better at all games, making our overall scene stronger
- Prevents people ducking tournaments
- Maybe pick up a different 4th game every month for those people who want to play a game but don't have the competition for it

Just what I thought after reading Chuckk's beast post
I quite like this idea!