• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Weekly Wellington RanBat

Started by jsculls, April 12, 2011, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric

Quote from: Materia on May 09, 2011, 01:25:21 AM
GGs guys.
Tekken is homo.

Just came here to say that I approve of this being your first post. Welcome to the site :D
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Rorooze

Regarding left over money, there are several things you could do.

1) Use it to pay for extra time on the setups (instead of 2 hours play for 3 hours);
2) Save it to cover losses at your events (in Auckland we have had one or two sessions that lost money this year), I don't think having a small buffer is a bad thing so jsculls doesn't fork out his own cash (more than the small entry fee) if you do go over budget;
3) Save it to purchase something for the community. If you guys have a good venue (it sounds like you do!) then maybe think about saving the money for copies of games, arcade sticks, something like that? Or add it all up and have a big event or prize pool or something later in the year.

nemesis`

GGs guys.
Tekken is homo.

hahaha
damn i got smoked, i really need to play against you and muugorz more often, gg's though solid play.
that toothy guy though.... man he's a scrub :P

i like the ideas people are coming up with
i've got a decent fan to bring in, only problem is bringing it in every week, i assume iPlay wont let us keep it there.
but i'll bring it in this sunday see how it goes, cos too many people are going HARDCORE on the buttons rofl and creating like mass warmth in the room and the dudes working there won't let us keep the door open haha were not that noisy are we? O_o
D:

LN

You can use some of the money to make promo material to splat around the place to try to get new people coming in too...
There is no knowledge that is not power

Materia

Quote from: nemesis` on May 09, 2011, 06:17:46 PM
hahaha
damn i got smoked, i really need to play against you and muugorz more often, gg's though solid play.
that toothy guy though.... man he's a scrub :P

i like the ideas people are coming up with
i've got a decent fan to bring in, only problem is bringing it in every week, i assume iPlay wont let us keep it there.
but i'll bring it in this sunday see how it goes, cos too many people are going HARDCORE on the buttons rofl and creating like mass warmth in the room and the dudes working there won't let us keep the door open haha were not that noisy are we? O_o

Nah Tekken sucks, play MvC3! It's all the rage. Definately going to try convince Toothy to give it a good go, surely he can scrub well at that game like he does in Tekken ^_^
We're not noisy at all compared to the PC gamers there, they rage so hard at any given time during the day, I think its just policy. I'll bring in my xbox save data this week as well (no Jill/Shuma though).

Regarding the left over money - I think we should just save it with someone reliable (won't spend it) and keep it as back up money and when the time is right have a tourney with said $ as the prize. Heaps keen on the point system like Kim said; it makes the tourney aspect of the weekly meet-ups much more exciting!

Coddfish

Hope everything went well on Sunday. Couldn't make it due to a mixture of hangover, and other plans, haha.

I'll weigh in with some thoughts:

I'm with jsculls and others about wanting to have some sort of tournament setup going on. Casuals is fun, but occasional tournaments or ranbats encourage people to improve; and don't really limit the opportunity for casuals anyway. Especially with the cheaper venue.

I like the idea of a season ranbat. If we're cycling games, one game a week and then perhaps a week of just casuals, or pick up a fourth game (if anyone has a laptop that will run it we can have 3rd Strike? :D), so it works out to each game essentially having one ranbat a month.
Looking ahead a bit, this would allow for a ~10 round season over a year, allowing for a break over summer for Christmas, people travelling and such.

Instead of using the excess money as prizes for each ranbat, it could be used to buy stuff for the community (as people have suggested), and have some sort of end-of-season prizes. This would still encourage people to play well and improve in the hopes of winning a prize at the end of season, but would use a much smaller percentage of the money than prizes for every ranbat would be. Essentially allows for both prizes and buying stuff for the community.

While I'm looking ahead... I used to go to some ranbats in Melbourne which sort of followed this format; non-monetary prizes for the ranbats (a bag of lollies or some such, lol) culminating in a big final round/prize giving.
For each game, prizes were given for:
-Top of ranbat ladder
-Winner of the final tournament (not based on ranbat ranking)
-Most improved player, decided by a vote of players
-"Shenanigans" award, decided by vote for most silly/bullshit/outrageous performances throughout season.

This sort of made the final event (and lead up to it) a lot more fun, because it was made into something a bit more special. Also, having prizes for Most Improved and such help incourage improvement, without necessarily having to be the best of the best to get anything for it.

Anyway, so that's my thoughts on that. Sorry if it's hard to understand, it's late and I'm tired.

Also, this is of no immediate use, but I'm going to look into building a stick soon, probably as a project for semester break in June. So that will at least be one more stick.

Filter

the iPlay venue is way more comfortable than OldBoy. There was a really good turn out too.

Maybe we could try to sort out some little tables to put the sticks on.

For the 4th tournament of every month we could have random retarded 4th game tournament.
Shaq Fu, Ballz 3D or Eternal Champions tournament
or maybe some games that are a bit more playable but old and obscure. Most people would be on an even footing because hardly anyone would have played them. there are hundreds to choose from. Even Bloody roar or Virtual On.

Maybe that's a fucking terrible idea.

moose!

Quote from: Coddfish on May 10, 2011, 12:28:28 AM
I like the idea of a season ranbat. If we're cycling games, one game a week and then perhaps a week of just casuals, or pick up a fourth game (if anyone has a laptop that will run it we can have 3rd Strike? :D), so it works out to each game essentially having one ranbat a month.
Could we even hire a PC and run Mame?
But keen for 3S  ;D

2Lazy

GGs guys.
Tekken is homo.

Indeed it is

About time someone got us together to jam the FG again Cheers jsculls
funny how rust everyone has been (tekken is tekken aka homo)

@nemesis: I can bring in fan if you want to message me and I can grab it

Chances are if we try for a 4th game in our session BlazBlue sounds like a plan (we have someone that will bring ps3 with BlazBlue) but fink we need to get a more solid amount of ppl jamming mvc3 (barnstorm, materia and jsculls are the only one really) before we get a 4th game in, maybe if we be fruity and meet up for after session games coz ppl like me would be keen to try pick up mvc3 and you kinda can't do that during the few hour with ppl knowing wat they're doing and u figuring out wat ur doing

P.s coming from the guy that pick up FG abit l8 and pick tekken6 (WWWHHHYYY) to get into

otherwise we got a solid community (10+ so far) and we can definitly drag more ppl in  ;)
TekkenBR - Xaioyu, Lili
Meltyblood - F-miyako, F-len
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - X-23, Tron, Sent (testing)
Fate unlimited code - Lancer (testing)

Need more games lol

Chuckk

Quote from: moose! on May 10, 2011, 10:16:38 AM
Could we even hire a PC and run Mame?
But keen for 3S  ;D

more keen for 3s than anything else. this'd be hype. atleast when 360/ps3 3s is out we can sort this issue easily.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny

Sdj

Quote from: LN on May 09, 2011, 06:58:18 PM
You can use some of the money to make promo material to splat around the place to try to get new people coming in too...

i was thinking of asking some of the graphic tevh guys laying around on the forums for a ' NZism Sign billboard' for the events. let the word out that NZism is out to rep. us kiwi's.

edit: in regards to Mvc3. tried it out at Nemesis place with jsculls and peps. noticed wtf at the default button layout.. not sure if anyone else is concerned about it, but i think it should just simply be a 6button across .
[ a ]            [ b]          [ c ]
[Spec]   [Assist1]   [Assist2]
which would be a 'KoF' styled layout.

jsculls uses:
[ a ]      [ c ]          [Assist 1]
[ b ]   [Spec]       [Assist2]
which is basically Mvc2.

heard a few ppl have their own layouts set at home so i brought this up.

Melty Blood - C-Akiha, C-V.Akiha, C-Nanaya, C-W.len
Dissidia - Squall, Zidaine, Golbez, Frion, Tidus
SSF4 - Makoto, Sakura

Barnstorm

The obvious option is to use the money for sticks or games and other similar stuff. As we found the other day I had 2 of the 4 sticks and john had the other 2 so losing 1 of us loses a whole setup which is one of the major issues. This is not really a huge deal if we get consistant turn out also bringing sticks but if one of us cant make it then we run into problems

I think the stick numbers are john with 2, I can bring 4 or 5 (but gets a bit hard after 2 to carry) Chuck got 1 and Ben 1.
Is that about right?

Alternatively we could use the money for food

Also low tier marvel 2 tourny would be mint

massi4h

Quote from: Sdj on May 10, 2011, 09:33:56 PM
i was thinking of asking some of the graphic tevh guys laying around on the forums for a ' NZism Sign billboard' for the events. let the word out that NZism is out to rep. us kiwi's.

edit: in regards to Mvc3. tried it out at Nemesis place with jsculls and peps. noticed wtf at the default button layout.. not sure if anyone else is concerned about it, but i think it should just simply be a 6button across .
[a]                     [c]
[Spec] [Assist1] [Assist2]
which would be a 'KoF' styled layout.

jsculls uses:
[a]      [c]         [Assist 1]
   [Spec]       [Assist2]
which is basically Mvc2.

heard a few ppl have their own layouts set at home so i brought this up.

lol when you typed in [ b ] it just made it all bold.

The first layout you posted is the default. I was thinking of using the mvc2 layout when the game first came out (except with a and b swapped, so starting combos would feel like sf4 and tri jumps would feel like mvc2), but I got blown up by Jack trying to figure out how to do anything and since I got the game I never tried it.

I don't find any execution problems atm, except I need an L+M button for my pinky to make trijump H more consistent.

You guys could use the money to bring the great massi4h down to Welly and I can teach you all how to play Mahvel baby.

I was kidding...

Rorooze

I reckon we should do a road trip one weekend...

Nick4now

Mason, you can't put "great" before your handle if you're using shortcuts  :P tbh I find trijumping easier with H than L though.

Maybe.... Roadtrip to South Island Regionals?  ;D

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion