• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Fighting Game timeline...

Started by geneterror, April 19, 2011, 08:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Quote from: LN on April 20, 2011, 05:11:34 PM
Karate Champ

Haha yeah that was great!  I think maybe I played that before Yie Ar Kung Fu.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Nick4now

Quote from: CaptainHook on April 20, 2011, 02:51:28 PM
Which game do they play in the movie Bloodsport?

"Very good, but brick not hit back!!!!!"

Someone didn't watch 3 Green bars  ;D My first FG was either Pit Fighter or WW iirc. But I do remember that the very first game I played on my Megadrive back in 92 was SF2: Special Champion edition.

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

Eddy_COMBO

My first experience with fighting games would be sf2 in 93 summer holidays. I'd go with my cousins and we'd play in most of the takeaway shops in St Lukes/Mt Roskill. They use to yell at me whenever I pressed the 2p start lol.

PSN: primofreak
Currently playing - Call of Duty Black Ops, Soul Calibur 4, MVC2

CptMunta

I dunno what I would count as my first "fighting game". Probably Barbarian on the C64 in the late 80's or Karateka on the Apple 2 E at school in green screen, though that was only 1 player so might not count. (we also had wolfenstien the og 2D version as well) as well as IK+ on Amiga

I first played SF2 ww in a local arcade close to my school, a few months before Championship Edition came out. I try and pay homage to IK+ Karate Champ in 3 Green Bars whenever I can :)
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Unbeliever

I remember playing Way of the Exploding Fist on C64, not sure if it was in 85 or 86. Also remember it taking about half an hour to load  :(

CrazyMobius

Mt first fighting game experience was the first Street Fighter. But during those days I was playing much more Double Dragon and Altered Beast.

maelgrim

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2011, 09:52:55 PM
I remember playing Way of the Exploding Fist on C64, not sure if it was in 85 or 86. Also remember it taking about half an hour to load  :(

I played that on ZX spectrum (48k) - great game!
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

gl3nnium

Ok this is going back to when I was 5 but i remember what must have been the first vs fighter ever. Someone already said Karateka but that game wasn't really a vs fighter becuase you ran forward through stages and stopped to fight (like a side scroller). There was a game on The Apple 2 before that called 'swashbuckler' you controlled a pirate with a sword and you fought against the comp or another player..it had parry and thrust and block just like soul calibur but it was mad in 1981....I didnt discover it till yeas after that and hey i was 5...but that has to be the first.

gl3nnium

Hmm. turns out i was wrong...swashbuckler cant be the first vs fighter cause it was single player only. Could have sworn it was 2 player too. Heres the wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swashbuckler_(video_game)

Maybe Yie Ar Kung Fu is the first one afterall!!??!!

IR U IM B IL E

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 20, 2011, 09:52:55 PM

haha yes I remember this. this was probably the last time you were better than me  :P
"...there's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens. Now let's see what happens."

maelgrim

karate Champ - 84, Way of the Exploding Fist & Yie Ar Kung Fu - 85
Played all 3 - great stuff!
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?