• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

Jan 13th

Started by fluxcore, January 11, 2007, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birdman

That arcade mentioned by Coddfish, I went there just yesterday and it was also my first time playing arcade sticks. I can only play T5 and the Gundam Seed game well on ps2 but had trouble using sticks especially on T5 with df motions, or I would jump by accident.

fluxcore

Yep, pretty much everyone goes through it... I used to be a pad warrior. Trust me though, once you get used to sticks you'll never go back.
Personally I'm still not good with the japanese style used in Yifan's, but I'm trying. I recommend you get a stick for your home platform of choice and just practice :D

Welcome to the site, by the way!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Coddfish

Listen to Flux. Since I've gotten a stick, I haven't looked back. Took like a week to adjust, just toying aound at home.
Now its just IADs and repeated DP motions (Melty blood infinites... kekeke) that sometimes give me trouble.

I also can't imagine playing on a stick with any gate other than a square :P

fluxcore

Quote from: Coddfish on April 01, 2007, 06:38:05 PM
I also can't imagine playing on a stick with any gate other than a square :P

True enough. When I first *purchased* a stick I got a circle because I wanted to do smooth qcfs and 360s. Foolish boy... when I realised my mistake I made a square restrictor out of lexan, it's so much better to be able to feel the corners - especially in something like KoF where plenty of 'special' normals have df stick positions - guess the same goes for Tekken, too. But skip all that MCA/Happs stuff, because eventually you'll want to go Sanwa/Seimitsu anyway, so may as well just start with the Japanese sticks!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Actually, I'll just add one more thing: stay away from X-Arcade! I can't believe it's even possible to make a stick/buttons that are so difficult to get off simple moves with!

--flux

Birdman

So what's a good type of stick for T5? I've seen the Namco arcade stick on Trademe a few times. Is that any good? Sorry I know nothing about the quality of these things.

Gino

I can vouch for the namco stick. It's not as good as a home made one. But it's cheep and good. Fluxcore tells me I can just swap out the stick for another one, sweet!

fluxcore

Well, I don't think it's quite as trivial as that, might require some drilling and stuff, but it IS possible to put Sanwas in a namco stick - shoryuken.com has some details on the forum (shows up in a google search).

I don't think I ever actually played using your namco stick, but from the initial feel of it it didn't seem too bad - the buttons were a step up from the Agetec I use, anyway!

--flux

Gino

Well yeah, I would have to drill for mounting points on it. But to me it feels pretty good. Works fine in ggxx#r and SF3TS.
Might have to make a hack like your dreamcast one so it can be used on other consoles as well.

Coddfish

Myself and Fate can both vouch for the Namco sticks also. In fact, I got two, because the first one wasn't working too well, which is what I'll be using to mod.

As far as modding goes...
http://arcadestickmonk.com/asm-namco-sanwa-mod.html

As far as putting custom art in it goes, there's a metal plate on the top of the stick, which I will replace with some sort of clear perspex or whatever (I'll need to investigate what is best), with art underneath.
Since opening up my broken stick completely though, I've found that the buttons clipped only onto the metal plate, not the plastic underneath like the stick does.
I'm hoping the perspex will be strong enough to support the buttons as well as the metal (and survive a bit of abuse :P), otherwise I will reinforce the back of it, behind the art, with metal. Probably cut from the old plate.
Sanwa clip-in buttons are good for up to 4mm thickness, and the metal plate (so therefore the perspex which will replace it as well) are about 1.5mm thick. So even with the extra backing, the buttons should still fit.

Of course, I won't be doing all this for a while, since I'm going to south africa to visit the old man for three months, leaving on 26th april. But when I get back, I will try get this done ASAP, and let you guys know how it turns out :)

Incidentally, I have already done my art for the stick. No stealing~! Linked rather than [img]'d, because its quite large.
http://www.gatotsu.co.nz/images/misc/washistick.jpg

fluxcore

Nice find - looks a bit nasty cutting up a brand new ~$40 sanwa stick though! :D

As for perspex vs lexan, I personally like lexan since you can cut it like wood & it won't shatter - it's also nice and thin. It would need something behind it though. Also, lexan scratches easier than perspex - but not amazingly easily!

Like the overlay, too - I take it you like Last Blade as well? Must be one of the best looking/sounding fighting games I've ever played. Pity the character balance & some of the gameplay elements make a bit of an uneven game...

--flux

Birdman

Apart from random people on Trademe, is the Namco stick available here?

fluxcore

Quote from: Birdman on April 02, 2007, 05:00:25 PM
Apart from random people on Trademe, is the Namco stick available here?

If you mean in stores, I haven't seen one new for a very long time - I guess it would be possible to get lucky and find one, but I doubt it. Gino found his at Cash Converters I believe, so there are options, but second hand is definitely most likely.

--flux

Gino

There where 2 at cash converters. Wish I had both of them now :(

fluxcore

Quote from: Coddfish on April 02, 2007, 04:42:55 PM
Of course, I won't be doing all this for a while, since I'm going to south africa to visit the old man for three months, leaving on 26th april. But when I get back, I will try get this done ASAP, and let you guys know how it turns out :)

I don't think there's a big chance I'll get up to Auckland to meet you before you leave, so in case I don't, hope you have a great time over in SA!

--flux