• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

PSN acount information compromised

Started by Flash, April 27, 2011, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptMunta

Stu has a good point. The bonus is more of an apology from Sony rather than a means of compensation which is why I'm happy with it. I've heard good things about PSPlus and am treating almost like a month of free rentals.

I can also see how it effects people that play online alot and if its the main use of your console I can see how you'd be pissed at the outage. But from a strict "What we are entitled to" standpoint if we paid nothing then it's, nothing.

Our personal data being compromised is the main issue but don't kid yourself thinking you are any safer over on XBL. No online service is completely safe and hackers can crack anything they turn their attention to. PSN is bound to be more safe than ever after this disaster and will have the latest up to date systems in place since I doubt they could handle the same mistake again. But who knows? maybe XBL will be pulling their socks after learning from Sony's mistake.

After I took a step back I realized that all the information the hackers had access to apart from my password, username and date of birth could be found in the white pages of the phone book.

I can see why some people might see this as a deal breaker, a network being hacked is a big deal and drastic measures were taken to stop further damage. I do think their PR was a bit cold but maybe it took a whole week to assess the damage. Maybe I'd feel differently if I spent more time online recently.

I like PS3 exclusives better and am glad I stuck with PS3 having only bought it originally as media player and for HD Remix. Sony's PR in this whole situation has left a dent. Still, the only reason I'd jump to XBL now is if the new PSN security makes my online experience worse than before the outage or Xbox gets an exclusive I can't live without.

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

jsculls

Good debate guys, StereoMonkey - no worries, I understand your perspective.

Agree RE compensation. As I said in my original post I could really care less about it and simply offering an alternative is a valid suggestion. If they did nothing other than apologise for the outage and get it sorted a.s.a.p. I'd be happy.

Agree RE users who have subscription based products getting the short end of the stick.

RE PSN being a selling point vs a product, I dont draw a distinction. I bought my phone because it had mobile internet access if I bought one that didn't I could have paid significantly less (same as PSN vs XBOX in terms of up front cost). If that access is taken away I do have the right to dislike it.

RE TOS statements agree that I'm bound by them and that yes they can take it down without warning and keep it down for as long as they like. It doesn't mean I have to like it, the more customers challenge their service providers(reasonably) the better services become.

"Switching" is probably an over-reaction, if/when I buy an XBOX it'll be so that I can play with a wider range of local players and will force me to either dual mod my stick/buy an XBOX one which will be useful for when I attend events.

xFIST_0F_FURYx

PSN should be back in a day or two but who knows might be another week lol

CrazyMobius

I think Sony need to compensate their players because for two weeks they couldn't use the online service. Regardless of whether they paid for it or not.

I don't really mind personally though as I would not have used this service during that time anyway.

But for example if this happened when AE was released I would be mightily pissed. Money can't get you that time back.

CrazyMobius

As for jumping ship. I don't know if that's necessary as this could just as easily have been Xbox live that it happened to.

K123_iy

asb bank is waiving the credit card replacement fee for playstation owners, otherwise it costs 10 bux

geneterror

Kiwibank are waiving the fee for me as well.
KOW 2011

amendonz

Quote from: CrazyMobius on May 03, 2011, 06:35:19 PM
As for jumping ship. I don't know if that's necessary as this could just as easily have been Xbox live that it happened to.

i'm not so sure, one would hope xbox has better security than psn did. and by more i mean at least some.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

How Lenny can remain so incredibly awesome without the galaxy exploding from his awesomeness is beyond me .....

i bow to thee sir leonard , you are the king  ;D
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Man, too many xbox fanboyism here.

Everytime i check to see if psn's back on, xbox fagz are in here talking shit. It is but acid in my wounds....so in other words, it no effect on the mighty diezal power which is....

G WEAZAL!!!!

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: K123_iy on May 04, 2011, 07:40:42 PM
asb bank is waiving the credit card replacement fee for playstation owners, otherwise it costs 10 bux
Is this for debit cards too bro? Cos mines held together with tape. And 10 bux is a 6 pack of the mighty mighty DEEZALIONZZ!!

edit: And isn't it $10 for an eftpos card and $15 for a debit? Last time i asked it was. And that's why i was like 'fuck that, tape this bitch up and get some bourbino's'.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Lennysaurus on May 04, 2011, 08:06:44 PM
But it didn't.

It's just like that time that MVC3 was late. Could have just as easily have been PS3 that it happened to.

CptMunta

Sony answers to congress:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6312141.html?tag=updates%3Beditor%3Ball%3Btitle%3B2

Some interesting insight into what happened and how it was handled. Really helps explain why it's taking so long.

Interesting tidbit. The words: "Anonymous" and "we are Legion" were left by the hackers on the SOE servers.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

samurai black

xFIST_0F_FURYx