• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

US/NZ MK style SF stick

Started by Situation, May 02, 2011, 08:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Situation

I grew up using what I've been told are US/western style sticks/buttons, with the long stick and convex (I think) buttons, which I've just found out is exactly like the recently released MK TE stick. I have one of those for PS3, but obviously it's not a SF stick, not the right button layout.

I also own a SF TE Fightstick Round 2, for xbox360 which is what I own sf4/ssf4/mvsc3/etc on. Try as I might, I absolutely hate the Japanese style stick/buttons with a passion, I just can't get used to them. I blame this on ~20 years of using a US style stick in south auckland and stages/timeout places.

Would it be better to buy a brand new stick that has the US/western style (if so what are they called), or pay someone to mod my SF TE Fightstick? I know there are guides to do it myself, but I know I would mess it up.

HoneyBadger

The stick and buttons are piss easy to mod in your TE dude. The parts in the MK stick are happ parts but are the parts you're used to using the ones you usually see on the fish and chip store kinda cabs? Cause those are MCA parts.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Would probably be cheaper to get someone to mod it for you if youre afraid to do it yourself.

Also, im not sure where you would find a pre made stick with US style stick/buttons these days anyway if you wanted to just buy one outright. Most of the console sticks made now generally come with japanese style parts afaik.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

I have a made-up stick with Happs Super stick and Happ Competition buttons with a 360 pad in it which I'm trying to pass along. It's in vaguely TE stick formation (I'll take a pic tonight).

HoneyBadger: I'm not sure that it's easy to mod a TE with american parts, actually. The stick mounting and dimensions are quite different.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Situation

Anyone know someone who is really good at modding these? Happily pay someone to do it.

If the modder doesn't have parts I can order them in, where do I get these MCA parts you mention?

Yeah I played in fish and chip shops, stages, timeout, technodrome, and other places and they all had the style I guess I'm used to / prefer. I can still pull off moves/combos etc, with the Japanese style but I just... really dislike the "feel".

Fluxcore: Hey, I tried pm'ing you on gpforums but noticed you hadn't signed in for awhile so came here :) Looking forward to seeing your pic.

Situation

I got the SF TE fighstick awhile ago in a sale at mightyape for $299, I've read about modding but just... don't want to do it myself, as I'm not confident enough I'll do it right, especially with how much the sticks cost.

I won a xmen vs street fighter competition on the north shore about 12 years ago (yay free nintendo 64!), and yet now I consider myself complete and utter shit and I'm blaming the stick/buttons!! Looking forward to finally being able to play ssf4/mvsc3/etc while feeling comfortable.

massi4h

I've seen alot of TE's on streams with the old bat style stick in them instead. Alex Valle uses one I think. Shouldn't be too bad of a mod, though I don't know the details.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: massi4h on May 02, 2011, 12:13:04 PM
I've seen alot of TE's on streams with the old bat style stick in them instead. Alex Valle uses one I think. Shouldn't be too bad of a mod, though I don't know the details.

Thats just a Sanwa with the ball taken off, and a bat top put on top I think Mason.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Yea. Situation is talking about a totally different brand of stick.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

massi4h

Situation

I also want the buttons switched from concave to convex, at least thats what I think the MK buttons are refered to as.

electric

Quote from: Situation on May 02, 2011, 12:38:28 PM
I also want the buttons switched from concave to convex, at least thats what I think the MK buttons are refered to as.

American style = concave
Japanese style = convex

Hope you manage to get your stick sorted out - I'm sure there's someone around who will be able to help you
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Actually, do american buttons (ie. Happ buttons) fit cleanly into the holes on the TE? If they dont that could be a problem.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

The ones in my stick are convex, but they are american Happs parts. To be entirely frank, convex is just plain better than concave.
They are: http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5896xxl.htm

as opposed to the concave version: http://www.happcontrols.com/pushbuttons/5891xxl.htm

HTH.

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Situation

I'll wait until you post a picture of your stick before deciding, but definitely prefer the concave buttons to the convex ones in the SF TE fighstick.

Are the convex ones in the SF TE fightstick bad convex buttons? As in, are there better convex ones?