• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Your experience

Started by Fate, January 16, 2007, 03:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Hey all.
So I was interested in finding out how much experience you guys have had in the arcades on your favourite games and what they are?
And how well you guys stack up to the opponents you've played?

Because I've lived out in the countryish most of my life, I haven't had much access to the arcades. But I played a little bit a year or so back, at Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike. I've won most of my games, but lost a couple of close ones to a Makoto and Urien. Pretty sure I could take em now, the Urien wasn't using Aegis Reflector or anything.
Most of the people I've played used Akuma, and weren't very good. I normally start using Remy SA II, then switch to Ken SA III if I get beat. So I haven't played all that much, but i'm looking to change that this year, as I will most likely move into the city at some point.

I got beasted by some 12 year old at Tekken 4 awhile back. And beasted by some guy on a KoF (can't remember the year). I haven't put much thought into Guilty Gear recently, and I sold my MvC2 (yes, i'm retarded), so I haven't had any experience in those.

How about you guys?

Ulrira

I started playing 3rd strike about 2 years ago when I moved up to auckland. I live and go to school in the cbd, which means I play way too much. But my game has really improved beacause of it and whenever I come back down to wellington nobody can beat me XD. (different story in auckland though)

Fate

Coddfish

Quote from: Ulrira on January 16, 2007, 06:26:09 PM
I live and go to school in the cbd, which means I play way too much.

After recently falling in love with the CBD (Yifan's, all the wonderfully unusual people, some random guy coming up to me and telling me "Thats a fucking nice t-shirt" in reference to my Pulp Fiction shirt...).
I just love the whole atmosphere of the CBD, and I'm seriously considering going flatting there, or nearby at least, in a year or two. Probably coincide with when I go to Media Design School (when, not if. Getting turned down is not an option).

Whats it like to live there? Mainly, how costly is it?

Back on topic,
I guess most of my experience is, sadly, fighting CPUs. I think my best game would be #Reload, which I'm getting back into now after letting her sleep for a while. Also, to a lesser extent, SFA3 and CVS2.
I'm slowly adjusting to stick play, and would love to get some decent comp in for any of these.

Ulrira

Quote from: Coddfish on January 16, 2007, 08:48:25 PM
Whats it like to live there? Mainly, how costly is it?

It's ok I guess and when you factor in the amount of money you'll save on travel, probably not that much more expensive. But then you gotta resist the urge to spend all your money at the arcade  :-\

Quote from: Fate on January 16, 2007, 08:28:44 PM
Who do you play man? :D

In wellington? Just random button mashers mostly.

Fate

Hah. Yeah, that seems to be the case.
I was wondering what characters on 3rd Strike though? ;o
Like I play Ken and Remy (occasionally).

Ulrira

Ooooh... Mostly Urien and Q, with a bit of Ryu/Necro/Makoto on the side.

Fate

Ooh, Q, nice. I haven't seen much of him. What super art do you use with Urien?
And i've been seeing some CRAZY Necro's movies on youtube, search Sugiyama or PinoAB7.

Ulrira

Aegis reflector. I pretty much suck with Necro though, those corner stun combos are so hard!!!

Fate

I can imagine. Sugiyama makes it look so easy.
Check out this vid for one of the best matches I've ever seen.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-6kz5LyiI

fluxcore

Quote from: Fate on January 16, 2007, 03:08:12 PM
Hey all.
So I was interested in finding out how much experience you guys have had in the arcades on your favourite games and what they are?
And how well you guys stack up to the opponents you've played?

The only 'real' competition I can say I've faced in the arcade has been at Yifan's, and that's been a mixed bag success wise. I do have a lot of problems with the sticks up there, but that's no-ones fault but my own.
MvC2:
Only one guy up there has played a good MvC2 against me, same guy, two different occasions. He whipped me first time back when I was a bit of a scrub, and it was closer but he still beat me on our next encounter. Seemed to fall victim to Cable quite easily.
I always find after a Yifan's experience that I should have just played a bit longer, because I'm sure I would have taken him.
Hamilton MvC2 is just sad. I met one fellow that was decent, and then became good friends with him & trained him up. He lives in Sydney now. :( Other than that it's entirely scrubs who think they are good because they can beat the computer at Xmen vs SF with Ryu and Akuma.

SamSho5:
Personally I really like the recent releases of SamSho. No cabs around in Ham, no players either. This is the only game where I've gone up to Yifan's and hung with everyone I've played, mainly presumably because no one really plays it. Haven't tried Tenka yet, but hear it's pretty good.

3s:
Back when I used to like this game some Urien from Game Paradise challenged my Urien and destroyed me with unblockables. I can't remember if I played at Yifan's, but if I did I'm sure I lost. 3s peeps in Auckland were just way better than me. Everyone was just playing Ken though, really boring. >_<
No cabs in Ham, so sucks.

Tekken5:
I'd played this game for roughly a week and then there was the one and only tourney in anything since XmenvsSF I'm aware of in Hamilton. I went out in two, but was very close to beating my first opponent who was absolutely flabbergasted that I'd only been playing a week. The second guy was Steve vs my Julia and I couldn't do a fucking thing. Damn that 5.0 Steve.
I haven't played Tekken before or after this in the arcade, but there is a DR cab. No home port = me no likey.

Like yourself, 95% of my playing has been vs comp, and I have one friend that still plays me at UMK3 occasionally. That's why I made this site, I'm just pissed off that I can't play anyone.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

Quote from: fluxcore on January 17, 2007, 10:04:17 AM
MvC2:
Only one guy up there has played a good MvC2 against me, same guy, two different occasions. He whipped me first time back when I was a bit of a scrub, and it was closer but he still beat me on our next encounter. Seemed to fall victim to Cable quite easily.

come to yifans tomorrow. ill play you. ill either be better or worse than you.

fluxcore

Quote from: samurai black on January 17, 2007, 12:03:43 PM
come to yifans tomorrow. ill play you. ill either be better or worse than you.

I'm in Hamilton, dude. Next time I'm up maybe we can meet though.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

gutted. oh well, ill practice against my mate then. gonna work on some crappy msp against his damn ironman.  goddamn infinite = not cool

fluxcore

Quote from: samurai black on January 17, 2007, 01:10:10 PM
gutted. oh well, ill practice against my mate then. gonna work on some crappy msp against his damn ironman.  goddamn infinite = not cool

Don't get hit :D

--flux