• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

SSFIITHDR Stratergy/Combo thread

Started by pax_bisonica, January 07, 2009, 05:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pax_bisonica

Hi all, I thought it would be cool if we could share our fave strategies/combos here, and also ask/answer questions regarding general strategy for the game.  For the sake of continuity can we try to keep to a reasonably standardized notation... try to avoid using button names (e.g circle, square, b, a etc).

I thought I would get the ball rolling with the combo I used to get the combomaniac achievement.

Using DeeJay - crossover MK, crouching jab x3, U+HK - seven hits and decent damage.  This combo is probably not 'original' but hey!

Also - If someone has an anti shotokan strategy for scrubs who spam hadokens at you and hit you with an anti air when you try to jump in.  I also got owned by a Bison player who spammed the psycho crusher (back and forth, back and forth) who would jump in at me if I tried to counter with a fireball or do anything else.  Very annoying.
All who oppose me will be destroyed.  Maybe.

Gino

I would say use this notation as its all over shoryuken.com

My only strategies I can offer would be with ryu and it's nothing special.
Corner lockdown. With chars with small jumps it is very effective but with others like dict it can be a little harder. I try and keep the pressure on with fireballs and if I'm far away (and its safe) I might try and de-gap the distance with f+FP to push some players into a corner and then chip away with fireballs.
This works on players who give in to pressure but I would say that when this doesn't work I'm kinda screwed. Fake fireballs should only be used sparingly as they seem to break up the "flow" of a match (at least for me).
I just do basic combos like cross-up RK, d+FK, fireball. If the player sucks with reversals then I alternate between f+HP, d+FK, fireball. The fireball usually misses but it will chip anyway. Otherwise I alternate with just d+FK, Fireball.
Sometimes I do as an anti-air jump HP but only because the juggle is cool especially if I have super.

fluxcore

Most characters have some long ranged move (chun li st.fierce, dict st.rh) that can punish a blocked psycho crusher, just do the move after he passes you by. I think I beat the same retarded dict player (constant psycho crushers) by doing that.

I'll write a bit more when I get home.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

fluxcore

Quote from: pax_bisonica on January 07, 2009, 05:50:45 PM
Also - If someone has an anti shotokan strategy for scrubs who spam hadokens at you and hit you with an anti air when you try to jump in.  I also got owned by a Bison player who spammed the psycho crusher (back and forth, back and forth) who would jump in at me if I tried to counter with a fireball or do anything else.  Very annoying.

Ok, so who are you playing as?

Other things to try vs psycho crusher are your reversal moves (dragon punch, flash kick, headbutt etc), these usually beat crusher, it's really not that high priority. I think crusher beats crusher even. Best thing to do is try different things, and when you find something that works, write it down! Making a note of it makes it so much easier to remember what to do.

As for the vs. old school fireball/dp tactic, depends on your character. Jumping straight up over fireballs is really useful, you can usually gain ground pretty well by walking and jumping straight up. Chars like Guile can nullify a fireball with sonic boom, and then backfist to smack the opponent in the face, free & nice damage.
If you get up close, them doing fireballs is pretty stupid because it has slow startup and you can hit them out of it with some good yomi. Making them whiff their AA is great, although the best players won't do that.

Once you are in the lead, just fireball all their fireballs and win by timeout - perfectly valid win.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness