• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

PS2 stick modification

Started by zos'la, March 03, 2009, 09:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

Hey guys,
I got a Street Fighter 15th Anniversary Limited Edition Arcade JoyStick.
I want to modify this either to a PC or PS3, is this posible? if so where can i find info on this? course i tried googling and have coem to no avail...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Easiest way would be to get an adapter. Not sure if the PS2->PS3 ones are much good though...

The next best solution would be to get one of Toodles' Cthulu boards from SRK, and use that as the pcb. That way it'll be PC, PS3 compatible with the same USB cable, and with some extra cabling you can make it compatible with XBOX1, Gamecube and PS2 as well.

Aren't those sticks pretty trashy though?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

yeah they kinda suck the fat one unless you mod them hard.  I'm guessing that you scored it off trademe?  I was gonna buy it and have a crack at modding it.

I have a very similar stick that I modded.  The good thing about them is that the buttons and stick all have the grounds daisy chained on them, which makes it easier for you if you can find a common ground pad.

I would strongly suggest replacing the stick and the buttons unless you have the maddest wankers wrist cause the stick and buttons on it are incredibly stiff.  The buttons on them are easy to mod, just get screw ins, all the wires that connect to the buttons have little connecters on them so you wont need to do too much.  The stick is a bit different cos you cant fit a regular square gate in them.  Will need to cut the hole a bit more.

In other news, I thought the artwork on the case is really nice.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

zos'la

i was actually given the stick... brand new lol.
I would most likely to buy some stick/buttons to replace them.
the only thing i don't get is that the PCB you mentioned Flux, is this an add on to the main PCB of the stick which i have to link/soldier witht eh main stick board?

fluxcore

Quote from: zosla on March 03, 2009, 10:28:29 AM
the only thing i don't get is that the PCB you mentioned Flux, is this an add on to the main PCB of the stick which i have to link/soldier witht eh main stick board?

Easiest to replace the old pcb completely. The Cthulu would allow you to use PS2 anyway (basically just use the cord off the old pcb and use it with the cthulu)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

so this Cthulu PCB is an pcb i replace the main/old pcb from my old ps2 stick, rewiring the both with new buttons and stick?

forgive my ignorance but i haven't used one of them b4...

fluxcore

Yep. It was designed specifically to be simple to use. If you buy the already-put-together version you just need to take some wires from the stick/buttons and poke them in some holes on the PCB, that's pretty much it!

It's probably pretty expensive atm though with the exchange rate though, come to think of it...