• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

How do you guys feel about NZism...

Started by fluxcore, March 24, 2009, 04:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

How do you guys feel about NZism as a site with its own identity?

I know Lenny said at the tournament that I should find a better URL so people can actually find the site, not entirely sure if that was in jest or serious, but this is something I need to think about if I want to reach the largest audience possible.

Originally when I started the site my main objectives were:
1) Find other people to play against and help them in turn find other people to play against
2) Set up tournaments
3) Learn about arcade locations and what games they have
4) Have one place where you can find out about various fighting game releases specific to the NZ region

None of these objectives could sufficiently be accomplished by a couple of forum threads, as I saw it. Simply not flexible enough. So I made this site. The disadvantage of course is that people have to be able to find it, and be bothered to regularly visit etc.

What brings on this line of questioning is that I have been directly approached by a GPforum member asking if I've thought about combining the community into the GPforum community somehow, since this is basically just a forum.

Obviously the greatest advantage that would have is that a lot of casual players would have our forum basically in their face, where they can easily drop in and ask questions or whatever with the minimum of hassle. Arguably the gpforum is the largest gathering place for gamers in NZ, and therefore the market would be possibly the largest possible. Presumably there would be some infrastructure support as well, although no discussion of such things has taken place.

The main disadvantages I can see straight off is that we may lose our NZism identity (not necessarily completely, but site-wise). In the grand scheme of things I guess that's not very important, but it's kind of nice imo.
Also I obviously have a way I like to do things, site organisation and content and whatnot - I'm about as free as you could hope a forum admin to be, and I'm sure gpforums would have considerably stronger rules than I do.

I haven't replied yet because I'm interested in seeing what you guys think - it's your community as much as it is mine. Perhaps the advantages would far outweigh the negatives, but I just can't see all the issues because I'm too close to NZism.

So yeah, spew forth opinions and discussion please!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

I like swearing when I write on forums.  As long as I can say motherfucker and cock I dont mind.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

I think your much better off keeping the site seperate and then things can be run how you want ,you seem to have done a pretty good job so far with  few of the other boys organising stuff : ;)
Some of the mods over at gp are fukn clowns .
It easy enough to just post up at gp when a tourneys on or to just link back here.
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

HoneyBadger

What will GP do for us? I mean right now it sounds like "HEY GUISE LETS GET MOAR TRAFIKZ OFF THE BACK OF SOME OTHER D00DZ WORK" I think establishing an identity for ourselves is really important if we want to work towards annual tournies and events.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Quote from: Smoofikith on March 24, 2009, 04:42:47 PM
What will GP do for us? I mean right now it sounds like "HEY GUISE LETS GET MOAR TRAFIKZ OFF THE BACK OF SOME OTHER D00DZ WORK" I think establishing an identity for ourselves is really important if we want to work towards annual tournies and events.

Not exactly sure, as I said I haven't replied or asked any questions yet, really just feeling out how you guys thought. Specifically mentioned was HD video capturing setup, although I have little doubt that Lenny will have all that sorted anyway...

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I started I based the site off Ozhadou, because they seemed to be doing effectively what I wanted - creating a community for the players. Perhaps that says it all really, and is enough to show that I want a standalone site. The problem is always making people aware of it - although I guess that will come in time as more events are held.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Smoofikith on March 24, 2009, 04:42:47 PM
Totally agree
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

geneterror

I quite like the NZism identity and we do feel like a 'community' not just a sub-forum of a greater parent forum/site.
I use GPForums but for some reason I would prefer this site stayed seperate.
KOW 2011

HoneyBadger

Really, we're still babies atm. I'm sure a lot of you have watched forums like Tekken Zaibatsu, SRK ect rise from little forums to something huge. I mean look at what that tourney did for our numbers, now I'm seeing someone signing up almost everyday. With the success of our recent tourney, I'm not suprised GP wants a part of it
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

I should probably also mention that the guy that contacted me isn't really a member of the GP staff, so he doesn't have any motive to 'get more hits' for their site, as far as I know. I think it was a genuinely sincere and independent suggestion.

stereomonkey

No way!  That would suck big Rufus balls maaaan!  NZism is NZism.  Want more people then advertise like a whore.  Even more then what we currently already do.

I'm proud to represent NZism on xboxlive, with all my in your face advertising.  I couldn't count how many times I've sent messages to kiwi fighters online boasting about the site (even though I live in Oz ;D).  This is only the start.  I'm sure if it were to be a sub discussion on gpfourum, this would not be cool, lose its image and its value and then suck.  The site may get more casuals onboard though that will not mean they will stay.

Oh well, just what I think anyway...  ;)

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Thanks stu, that means a lot ^_^

TROPICAL PUNCH!

Gino

stereomonkey

No problem bro.  I remember back 4 years ago when I was playing old mvc2 in the arcade and not getting anywhere.  Then playing you guys and finding out about the old hac site and joining just so I could get some games on mvc2 and other fighting games.  During those days I always wished there had been a site like this for NZ.  And now that it is NZism.

A site like this has always been needed for a long time.

TROPICAL PUNCH! for the win, lolz  :P

EDIT: Woah, looks like i'm a full member now, yay for meeeeeeee!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

gunsmoke

Just keep it this way....Is getting more and more people now  ::) ::) ::)
keep up da good work....keep it real...
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE]iRONSoL

Quote from: gunsmoke on March 25, 2009, 12:19:03 AM
Just keep it this way....Is getting more and more people now  ::) ::) ::)
keep up da good work....keep it real...

Yea. We've almost cracked 100 members :), thats pretty dope
pringles