• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter 4 Auckland 2nd Tournament 2009

Started by zos'la, March 30, 2009, 06:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

Guys,
In the process of organizing the next Tournament.
Would like some feedbacks about the rules and format of last Tournament.
I am especially interested in the two rules below.

1: One character for the entire Tournament ( Japanese style )
My Opinion on this one is good, I like it since it don't cuase confusion during the games waiting for peopel to counter pick etc.

2: Banning Seth/Gouken.
I think both these characters are not balanced along with most of the console characters. Either have them in and have fun or just banning them overall.

either way, those are my thoughts.

/discuss.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Lennysaurus

1. I can understand why we had this rule but after the last tourney the one issue i thought that was pretty boring was having sooo many ryu, ken, and boxers.  While in japan they have loads of people playing loads of different characters, here I think that any chance we can have to make our tournaments diverse we should take.  Being able to pick any character imo opinion lead to us seeing some more diverse matchups. In my honest opinion we should look to start using the same rules that OZhadou use (which are mirrored from evo rules) as that is the next step we will need to take in terms of going international.  The ozhadou rules are that you can pick whatever character, and that if you are worried about counter picking both players can agree to double blind.  Counter picking in street fighter IV is becoming a moot point anyway due to the fact that the game is so balanced.  If you want to reallistically do well with a character you need to learn your match ups anyway.

2.  Gouken and Seth are no longer banned in overseas tournaments, so I see no point in banning them here.  Neither of them are OP to the point that a character has needed to be OP in order for them to be banned in the past. (eg: SSF2T akuma, 3S Gill, HD Remix Akuma).  Once again, the game is very well balanced, and I would have to disagree with you making the point that these characters arent balanced with the rest of the cast, cause the reality is that they have been balanced tofit in with the rest of the cast at the end of the day.

To sum up, I can't stress how important I feel it is that we start mirroring our ruleset to OZHADOU and EVO.  This will be the first step in extending our community overseas, and if we were to start striking up conversations about NZ representation at these events a good first step is to have our tournament rules mirror thiers.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Lennysaurus on March 30, 2009, 06:44:35 PM
1. I can understand why we had this rule but after the last tourney the one issue i thought that was pretty boring was having sooo many ryu, ken, and boxers.  While in japan they have loads of people playing loads of different characters, here I think that any chance we can have to make our tournaments diverse we should take.  Being able to pick any character imo opinion lead to us seeing some more diverse matchups. In my honest opinion we should look to start using the same rules that OZhadou use (which are mirrored from evo rules) as that is the next step we will need to take in terms of going international.  The ozhadou rules are that you can pick whatever character, and that if you are worried about counter picking both players can agree to double blind.  Counter picking in street fighter IV is becoming a moot point anyway due to the fact that the game is so balanced.  If you want to reallistically do well with a character you need to learn your match ups anyway.

2.  Gouken and Seth are no longer banned in overseas tournaments, so I see no point in banning them here.  Neither of them are OP to the point that a character has needed to be OP in order for them to be banned in the past. (eg: SSF2T akuma, 3S Gill, HD Remix Akuma).  Once again, the game is very well balanced, and I would have to disagree with you making the point that these characters arent balanced with the rest of the cast, cause the reality is that they have been balanced tofit in with the rest of the cast at the end of the day.

To sum up, I can't stress how important I feel it is that we start mirroring our ruleset to OZHADOU and EVO.  This will be the first step in extending our community overseas, and if we were to start striking up conversations about NZ representation at these events a good first step is to have our tournament rules mirror thiers.

God damn it lenny !!! its like your inside my brain , pick out all the good bits and I get the sloppy shit left over hahaha :)

What im trying to say is I agree ( once again ) with lenny on all his points .
Getting our tourneys running the same as the aussie tourneys and EVO would go along way to us being  more integrated into the scene .
However I havent been here that long and some of the more long time members may have different thoughts and thats cool too .

BOOOYAKASHAAAAA !!!!!!!
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

fluxcore

1) The Japanese style of tournament is really only appropriate for Japan imo, it's QUITE a different climate than we have here - they have very condensed areas where there are lots of experts, who play the whole range of characters. They also tend to play single elimination brackets, along with a few other oddities that aren't the norm. I think that style eventuates in a better standard of play, however it's very unforgiving, which is something we need to avoid atm.

If we intend to have multiple games running at the same time for the next tourney, we could also thing about switching to a best-2-of-3 rounds game, with best-2-of-3 games per match (rather than the best-3-of-5 rounds, 1 game per match that we used last time). Would take a bit longer, but that's the way most American tournaments are run - and allows players to switch chars for the 2nd round if they get a bad matchup. This format I think is the main argument FOR being able to switch chars, it's not so important in a 1-game match.

Just as an aside, here's a thought - 2on2 tournament. Either randomly assigned or 1 'newb' and 1 'veteran'. Maybe not for the next tournament, but some other random tourney. Probably would ease the newer players in really well, the more experienced player is sure to teach them some tricks.

So anyway, my vote is for being allowed to pick who you want - just give double blind select as an option if people are being asshats. But I'm not really fussed either way.

2) I strongly think at this stage we should allow both Gouken and Seth. Seth atm is looking like he COULD be the top character, but so far he's definitely not broken, so include him unless something horrible is discovered. Gouken is actually pretty harmless, the more you play against him, the less powerful he seems. Backthrow has AGES for you to tech it (unless you're in recovery frames obviously), his parries aren't actually that good (they are glorified focus attacks and so can be armour broken).
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

good points.
And yes I have been looking at the OZHadou site and rules.
But I would also like to hear from you guys, I don't just want to mirror them for the sake of being integrated into their community.

I am considering a 2v2 Tournament. It seems very interesting and I am eager to try it out. I have all the rule sets etc and this coming even we can decide on it.
I am in the process of outlining the Tournament so once it is complete I will post it up and get feed backs from you guys.

[8-----D] Toots

To reinforce the point more so a large amount of JAPANESE Tournaments use the multiple game chose any character rule. SF2 tournaments like starcup and insanity are good examples... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H93sTqacno&feature=related

If your worried about time wasting get both players to tell you who they are gonna pick before the end of the current match.

Seth and Gouken Should definitely be playable. There's currently nothing to suggest that either character is better than Sagat and if we ain't banning Sagat then why Seth/Gouken. Goukens pretty bad to be honest

zos'la

I like to add the dates that you guys prefer.
I currently have in mind are:
June

which days best suite you ladies :)

Hydro

Quote from: Toomeke on March 30, 2009, 09:47:27 PM
To reinforce the point more so a large amount of JAPANESE Tournaments use the multiple game chose any character rule. SF2 tournaments like starcup and insanity are good examples... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H93sTqacno&feature=related

If your worried about time wasting get both players to tell you who they are gonna pick before the end of the current match.

Seth and Gouken Should definitely be playable. There's currently nothing to suggest that either character is better than Sagat and if we ain't banning Sagat then why Seth/Gouken. Goukens pretty bad to be honest

Fully Agree.

Double blind is the above method, seems to make the most sense.

2v2 sounds like a great idea too.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: zosla on March 30, 2009, 09:49:44 PM
I like to add the dates that you guys prefer.
I currently have in mind are:
June

which days best suite you ladies :)

You might want to hold up a bit to see whether or not this XLAN stuff goes ahead bro.  Cause xlan is like june or july iirc.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

geneterror

Yeah I have no problem with Gouken or Seth. I would rather fight either of those two than Sagat :P
KOW 2011

HoneyBadger

my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

geneterror

KOW 2011

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

For my opinion, you can pretty much quote Lenny's post.

Sagat is the strongest character in the game hands down, and given that hes not broken enough to ban, then it makes no sense to ban seth/gouken.

Im not in favour of the 2v2 rule at this point. While it would be interesting, our community at this point isn't tight-knit enough fo partner based gameplay. Having someone you probably don't know very well/at all (I realise this actually doesn't apply to a good 50% of the people from the last tourney) as a partner that affects how you do in the tourney would inevitably be awkward at best, and 'blame' for a bad result would go directly onto the lesser of the two players, which is discouraging, and i don't think that any sort of discouragement is what we want to be going for with these sorts of events.

At least if the community was more established, then it would be more along the lines of friendly banter than "Omg this guy ive never seen before made me lose. What an idiot."

I realise we're all more mature than that, but who's to say that it wouldnt be interpreted this way by someone we didnt know?
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

the 2v2 partner tourny will be like you choose your partner :)
But then again it will be looking like stacking good players together...

what do you guys rekon?

fluxcore

My intention was to have one less-experienced person and one experienced person on each 2person team specifically so the experienced player can help out the other person and try to give them some hints.

I guess it just depends if you care to help them or not.

I thought it seemed MORE inclusive and nice to newbies rather than less, but maybe I'm wrong.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness