• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

JLF sticks

Started by zos'la, April 06, 2009, 03:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

Quick question,
Where do i find out how to wire this up? Say it has 5 pins with 5 wires, how do i know which goes to which on the PCB
mine is the analog PS1 controller version H without dual shock... the very old one.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Sheesh, that's not really a quick question at all :/

On the joystick part, there will only be one pin which contacts ALL of the microswitches - that one is the ground connection. The other ones depend on the orientation of the stick!

And presumably this is what you want for the PCB: http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/ps1_diagram9.jpg
If not, have a look on the slagcoin.com/joystick page to find the right one... should be there somewhere...
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

I know on the PCB where to sold to what direction/ button, but like on the joystick there are 5 wires coming out from it, I would think 4 are directional wires and one is ground/universal. How do I know which colour represents which direction? goes to which direction?

fluxcore

Quote from: zosla on April 07, 2009, 08:55:33 AM
I know on the PCB where to sold to what direction/ button, but like on the joystick there are 5 wires coming out from it, I would think 4 are directional wires and one is ground/universal. How do I know which colour represents which direction? goes to which direction?

Yeah, it depends which way you orient the stick in the case.
You need to decide which way you're going to put it in, and then follow the traces from the microswitch OPPOSITE the direction you are pressing - i.e. for joystick down, it actually presses the microswitch at the 'top' of the PCB. Then follow the trace from that microswitch along to the pin on the plug. Or use a multimeter.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

got it, i traced teh tracks on teh pcb pads and foudn which ones are which.
Now second question is on this PCB : http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/ps1_diagram1.jpg

in the center there is a 3.3 V noted. This si a resistor but DO I need to have one?

EDIT:

I found out its only required if I want analog/LED or multi PCB which then I will need to have a resistor.