• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Street Fighter Alpha 2/3

Started by Lennysaurus, June 19, 2009, 12:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Noticed you guys getting into this on GGPO.  I love these games, and consider them the best in the series in many ways.

Heres a good link for you guys anyway:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=162792

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

I reckon A2 is one of the best SFs ever.
A3 is really pretty weird, don't like it nearly as much. I'll play people at whatever though (as Blackstar can attest! :D)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on June 19, 2009, 12:41:03 PM
I reckon A2 is one of the best SFs ever.
A3 is really pretty weird, don't like it nearly as much. I'll play people at whatever though (as Blackstar can attest! :D)
The reason I like alpha 3 so much is the huuuge roster, and all the different quirks in the system.  I also like how changing the ism makes each character play differently.

So much strategy involved.

Man I love Alpha 3.

kingpiccolo

yeah i like the different isms in A3 man i wish i was better with V-Cody

fluxcore

Oh sure, A3 has a massive roster and ability to change the chars, but like MvC2, 90% of them aren't worth playing...

There are just too many game mechanics that 'aren't street fighter'. Flipping out of the air? Two punches to throw? Even just starting the game with full super is weird. Infinites in a SF. Also there are a bunch of 1p-side only combos and shit like that. It's just... not really cool.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on June 19, 2009, 01:03:55 PM
Oh sure, A3 has a massive roster and ability to change the chars, but like MvC2, 90% of them aren't worth playing...

There are just too many game mechanics that 'aren't street fighter'. Flipping out of the air? Two punches to throw? Even just starting the game with full super is weird. Infinites in a SF. Also there are a bunch of 1p-side only combos and shit like that. It's just... not really cool.

Nah man, heaps of the cast is viable.  And in different isms.  They still play it hardout over in Japan.  Last I heard A-Ken was doing really well in tournaments.

Though it definitely is a different street fighter.  I like how deep it is.  heaps of layers, and plenty of strategy to sink your teeth into.  Its kind of the opposite to SFIV in many ways.

Hydro

Quote from: Lennysaurus Rex on June 19, 2009, 01:07:54 PM

Nah man, heaps of the cast is viable.  And in different isms.  They still play it hardout over in Japan.  Last I heard A-Ken was doing really well in tournaments.

Though it definitely is a different street fighter.  I like how deep it is.  heaps of layers, and plenty of strategy to sink your teeth into.  Its kind of the opposite to SFIV in many ways.

Agree, i played Alpha3 for 8 years as my main sf game, and everyone is viable. I used to play everyone, and even beat some of the Yifans regulars with guys like A-Birdie, X-Guy (Raging demon Super) and X-Gen of all people.

V-izm was really really flexible, and pretty much everyone was viable in at least one or two izms, Sim being completely top tier in all three imho. Even characters like Dan, Adon and Sagat had a fairly recent resurgence in popularity in Japan (like 5 years ago) thanks to the advances in Vizm combos, many other factors like guard break strings and set ups in the other izms.

Awesome game, really awesome game.

fluxcore

Ok, maybe I just watched the wrong videos to only see about 5 different chars over and over again.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on June 19, 2009, 01:41:04 PM
Ok, maybe I just watched the wrong videos to only see about 5 different chars over and over again.

The weird thing about alpha3 was that they were constantly finding new things out about it year after year, due to the system having sooo many different quirks.

About 3 years after thte game was released they started figuring out how to combat Vism using Aism, so forth etc.  So depending on what era of the games videos you are looking at, thetier list changes.  ATM A-guy and A-Ken are considered very high lol.