• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

PS3 euro release to have crappy PS2 compatibility?

Started by fluxcore, February 26, 2007, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

'In a statement released today, Sony said that the European systems will utilize "a new hardware specification," and Sony won't "concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility." Rather, they are "increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."  What does this mean in plain English? Sony is looking to decrease the production cost of the Playstation 3, and they have opted to replace dedicated hardware with software that will replace its functionality. The hardware had been providing full backwards compatibility of PS2 games'

Full post here

So what this means is we are paying comparatively MORE for a less functional/compatible system than the Japanese or Americans (see wikipedia's PS3 page for price comparisons). While pretty much everyone has a PS2 anyway, backwards compatibility was a definite selling point for the PS2... I'm not particularly impressed.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Gino

gunsmoke

Quote from: fluxcore on February 26, 2007, 10:59:47 AM
'In a statement released today, Sony said that the European systems will utilize "a new hardware specification," and Sony won't "concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility." Rather, they are "increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology."  What does this mean in plain English? Sony is looking to decrease the production cost of the Playstation 3, and they have opted to replace dedicated hardware with software that will replace its functionality. The hardware had been providing full backwards compatibility of PS2 games'

Full post here

So what this means is we are paying comparatively MORE for a less functional/compatible system than the Japanese or Americans (see wikipedia's PS3 page for price comparisons). While pretty much everyone has a PS2 anyway, backwards compatibility was a definite selling point for the PS2... I'm not particularly impressed.

--flux

T_____T
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

first lik-sang....now this.......part of me wants to cry..... :'(
The New Generation Clockw0rk

Gino

Quote from: D0P3FI3ND on February 26, 2007, 07:42:19 PM
first lik-sang....now this.......part of me wants to cry..... :'(

Lik-sang made me want to cry, this makes me laugh!
Too bad it will be a huge success and everyone will buy it.

fluxcore

Quote from: glisignoli on February 27, 2007, 07:13:14 PM
Lik-sang made me want to cry, this makes me laugh!
Too bad it will be a huge success and everyone will buy it.

I don't think so actually... too expensive, no good games... sales are crappy in most places...

GGPO Sony? (hah!)

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Coddfish

Yeah, Sony is full of shit these days.

Anyone else hear the rumors about SCEA's view on 2D games?
I will get a PS3 eventually, for Final fantasy XIII (which looks HOT so far. Any other RPG fans here?)... but aside from that, PS3 doesn't impress.

Wii certainly looks like the way to go. Hell, I'll buy one solely for this ad alone. Now THAT is what all advertising should be like.

fluxcore

Just edited your post to fix the url... I remember seeing that ad ages back... you're right. PS3 is just stuffy. And that's right, it IS HUGER than xbox360! I didn't know that was even going to be possible!

--flux

Gino

Quote from: Coddfish on March 01, 2007, 04:33:15 PM
I will get a PS3 eventually, for Final fantasy XIII (which looks HOT so far. Any other RPG fans here?)... but aside from that, PS3 doesn't impress.

Really wish i had the time to site down for a rpg again. All i play now is...

Dwarf Fortress!!!

Ahhh, back to hacking a troll on the right foot, middle toe.

fluxcore

Quote from: glisignoli on March 01, 2007, 09:12:38 PM
Really wish i had the time to site down for a rpg again. All i play now is...

Dwarf Fortress!!!

Ahhh, back to hacking a troll on the right foot, middle toe.

Maybe I should lend you an arcade stick so you can waste your time with fighting games instead...............

--flux

fluxcore

Coddfish

I burst out in laughter and my family came to find out what was so funny.... I don't think they got it.   ::)