• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Tekken Tournys

Started by Tyrant, August 12, 2009, 12:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrant

Hey can anyone tell me of any fighting game tournys in New Zealand that typically include tekken. I also want to know if there are any console tournys or are there only arcade tournys?

fluxcore

We're at an interesting point in time actually. NZism are intending to start running tekken tournaments when the console version releases, however it depends on how many people are interested, and more importantly, whether a new NZ tekken site that has started up is going to start tournaments as well. If they do, and I believe that to be the case, NZism may not decide to run tournaments until next year's Nationals.

Sorry I can't be any more specific, I wish the situation was different so I could just say "YES we will be running them in the near future!"

As for arcade tournies, I don't even know how to find out about them. The tekken community seem to be very close-knit and despite our best efforts don't seem to want to work with us at all. Hopefully this will change as well.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Contact your local timeout, as they generally run the tekken tournaments at the moment.  All of the tournaments arre arcade tourneys.

Ditto what fluxcore said also

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: fluxcore on August 12, 2009, 12:11:49 PMThe tekken community seem to be very close-knit and despite our best efforts don't seem to want to work with us at all. Hopefully this will change as well.
Thats because they hate street fighter and the people who play it.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

Flux is right, they are very closed door in sense of cooperating? I beleive one of the admin from the tekken site is around here sometimes and I have contacts with him.

They are hosting a tournament soon so you can try: www.tekkennz.freeforums.org

Not sure if the Tekken community is even big enought to hold such tournaments...
But I am keen to make one as I am a Tkken player myself :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

stereomonkey

I'm more of a teke player...
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: stereomonkey on August 12, 2009, 03:29:45 PM
I'm more of a teke player...
lol bro i'm a rapist at that game lol.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Will

I think Timezone are running some regionals for the international comp at Armageddon this year or that could be the finals that is usally held overseas not to sure since they are pretty slack at giving str8 forward infomation. As for the TekkenNZ dudes the main admin there is a dude called Falcon Supreme, good guy I know him in real life. He wants to get console tourneys up and running and host them every 2-3 months, and eventually get them huge and from what ive heard theres some pretty dam big things happening in ties with Atari (NZ Tekken distributors) & RvB possibly with the launch and future tournaments with them. No way in hell is he trying to divide the Tekken community from any of the other fighting game communitys, I know that for a fact. Think of it like this SRK has a few people posting things about Tekken but the main Tekken members post on Tekken Zaibatsu, well thats how I see it anyways because its clear there is a hell of alot more SF talk on here then Tekken lol. As I said before I know 100% hes not trying to hurt or split the communitys apart he just wants to run the competitive tourneys every few months.  :o
Learning....

HoneyBadger

I know that myself and some others here either play or want to play Tekken as well as our other fighters. It'd just be cool if there was like a one stop site for NZ fighting communities rather than oh you gotta go here for SF, here for Tekken ect. I also know how hard it would be to combine both communities with all the ZOMG SF suxxxxxx Omg tekken iz just circus with jugglez. I think in the future we also wanna host a bunch of other tourneys in future nationals and make it sorta like an evo event. zit would just be rats if we hosted a "national tourney" separate to the Tekken d00dz. I really think it'd be cool if Alan and the Tekken leaders could sort some shit out though.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Will

Yea fully, Tekken is pretty sweet im mainly a SF player tho. Idk his plans for it in the future never know what could happen aye, he just wants to run them himself along side his blog that hes got going (hes a huge fan of the series). Theres not that much people from ether community saying they hate on each others games, they are both hard to master in there own ways. Ill stop talking for him, im sure he wont mind posting on here about it all.
Learning....

fluxcore

He and I have had a chat a couple of days ago about this, and basically he wants to do his own thing (at least for a start), whereas I think it'd be much better overall to have everything combined right from the start. I made this site for ALL fighting games in NZ - to me there is no logical split between SF and Tekken (or any other fighting game) - sure not everyone has to like or play all of them, but being able to have one organisation be THE place to go I think would be the best solution.

There's some kind of perception split btw, apparently the Tekken players see this as a 'street fighter' site or something, when the only reason it's like that is because the tekken players didn't want to come join me when I started NZism, and to this day still haven't. Almost every game has some coverage here, including tekken, however I can't be responsible for creating a tekken scene all by myself. It didn't work for street fighter (up until 4 came out this site was still pretty dead), and it won't work for tekken, unless the console release comes out and we get new people. Which is unlikely if there's another site strictly for tekken.

As for Tekken Zaibatsu and SRK, they are brilliant for what they are - massive strategy talk areas, and good 'get together' forums for places with large scenes.

However things really start to break down when you have a small country like NZ trying to organise stuff on one of those sites - which is exactly the problem I saw (and still see) with the NZ people on Tekken Zaibatsu. Sure, a new site like the Tekken NZ site will replicate the success I've had here with NZism, however I don't think NZ is big enough to really make having things separate worthwhile.

Surely no-one can argue that combining the tekken community with NZism would be a bad idea? You've seen what we've been able to do with our community, and sure I think the tekken community can replicate it if they put in the same work, however it would be effectively FREE to jump on this bandwagon.

The only people I could see that would feel put out would be the Tekken big-wigs who run the current show, but as I said to Falcon, I'd be perfectly happy to have a 'tekken honcho', and I just think the benefits of everyone being one big happy family far outweighs any perceived negatives (whatever they may be)...

Anyway, I've ripped my hair out time and time again about the state of the tekken community in NZ, so whatever...

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Will

Good points, well if you have talked to him then fair enough both ways. See what happens with his events and website etc. Maybe a merge could come of it one way or another in the future if things dont turnout, who knows.
Learning....

maelgrim

Would be great to see Tekken get some more love on NZism. Combining the sites would be the grail but some nice initial baby steps would be to link to each other's sites.
I don't know anybody who plays 1 fighter exclusively so I agree with flux - the NZ fighter community should be trying to work togeather not put up walls.

Currently NZism seems to be very 2D fighter oriented (SFIV, Blazblue, KOF etc), linking to Tekken NZ (become sister sites) would be a good way to get started.

oh and will there be any BlazBlue tournaments ?
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

fluxcore

I already explained why there isn't much tekken talk on here, simply because the tekken players never joined. I guess if the name of the site doesn't have 'Tekken' in it they aren't interested.

As for BB, that's kind of another discussion, but it really depends on how many people would be interested. It's not REALLY worth doing a tourney for only 6 people, however I suppose it could always just be done as a little side tourney at some other event.

HoneyBadger

^ Exhibition sorta matches? When people see how pretty it looks they'll be like "I WANNA PLAY THIS SHEEEIT"
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA