• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

MvC2: beginner & intermediate guide

Started by fluxcore, March 15, 2007, 11:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

Over at SRK, Juicy G has written the beginnings of a Marvel vs Capcom 2 beginners & intermediate guide...

Nothing new for you MvC2 die-hards, but for anyone interested in picking up the game, take a look.

Link

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

EVERYONE GO LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!111
The New Generation Clockw0rk

Ryan

That's really good info for beginners, even for novice players. I wish we'd had this info sooner, we'd be a lot better faster  ;D
fighting game noob

!DIABLO GTR!

What I learnt from the guide.

If I want to start playing MVC2, I should start off with Sentinel and Storm. Right?  :)
PS3 - WipEout HD Fury, Tekken 6
PS2 - Beatmania IIDX GOLD, Beatmania IIDX DJ Troopers
Arcade - Tekken 6 BR, DJ Max Technika, ITG2, DDR Supernova 2
PC: Red Alert 3, Tom Clancy's End War, DOTA
http://www.youtube.com/user/thejamesreloaded

Ryan

Eh... hmm.... eh... hmmm

Storm is hard to get used to with her air movements (she can "float"). I know it took me a while to get used to, but she's got some pretty wicked range, and priority. Her super cancel is ALWAYS safe (although doesn't always do the most damage when you DHC (direct hyper cancel) as part of your combo.  She can move pretty fast, and her typhoon thing (d,f+lk) goes through everything.

Sentinal, again, another one that takes a lot of time to get used to. In saying that, he has a few really simple combo's that are almost gauranteed, and do a lot of damage. Novices who use sentinal and are being rushed down, find it hard to escape (because of his size). Push block is one of sentinal's best friends. Also, sentinal can move just as fast as mag or storm, and has wicked range /priority/damage.

Coupled with a good Anti-air, he's pretty hard to chase down.

Cable however, is fairly easy to learn and abuse IF you can pull off the AHVB (air hyper viber beam) at any time. This is another char who (of course) benefits from a strong A/A assist (think psylocke/capcom/cyclops) and assists that cover a lot of area (sentinal/doom/storm maybe).  Cable users tend to spam those energy bombs (dont knwo what their called) and random HP (shoots his gun).

Also, get used to the order of your characters, and see who you can DHC to. And, if you're being pressured and need to change char, practise counter + super.

One of the strongest teams (IMO) is still Cable/Sentinal/Capcom. 

I'm going to start playing MSS (mag storm sent) cause I have to stop relying on A/A to save my magnus's ass everytime. Plus, their DHC's are pretty 100% and do decent damage.
I like playing strider/doom, but I always time my teleports wrong, and they always push block me away and escape.
fighting game noob

fluxcore

That's a pretty good breakdown. The thing about Storm and Sentinel is that at every level they have pretty beefy tricks - as you get better with them the tricks just get beefier.

Particularly Sentinel is good in this regard because there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't be on any team. His assists are great (drones assist instantly makes low-tier characters so much better, and helps EVERYONE, and his rocket punch assist sets up Magneto and Cable beautifully, doing an ASSLOAD of damage to boot), he can give shitloads of damage (and take it, too), and he is also immensely capable on point even without assists. With an anti-air at his back (Capcom, Cyclops, even Cable...), he's almost unstoppable. His simple combos are damaging, and his more complex ones are just BRUTAL.

Storm is just like a Queen in chess... she has all the moves. Rushdown, keepaway, runaway, lockdown, she can do it all. Hailstorm is ridiculous for chippage and DHCing into, plus Lightning Storm DHCed into Hyper Sentinel Force is basically a dead character.
She's really loud and annoying though ("AHH! AHHH!!! AHH!!!")

One good argument to take Cable is that pretty much every team you'll face will have a Sentinel, and Cable is as close as you get to anti-Sent. Plus his counter XX AHVB is brilliant. He is fun to play as when you're cranking AHVBs, but is less versatile than the other god tiers.
The bombs are just 'grenades', I think. Doesn't really matter.

Unless your execution is PERFECT I'd recommend against using Clockwork (sent/strider/doom) because Strider is a little fucker and has tons of moves which you pull off accidentally and then he dies.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Quote from: fluxcore on March 19, 2007, 08:18:52 AM
Unless your execution is PERFECT I'd recommend against using Clockwork (sent/strider/doom) because Strider is a little fucker and has tons of moves which you pull off accidentally and then he dies.

--flux

this is true..... :'(

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

hailstorm doesnt do THAT much chip damage. its more useful because its safe if blocked. and cables grenades are actually called "electrap's" which imo is a retarded name.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Quote from: ILL_BILL on March 29, 2007, 09:05:23 AM
hailstorm doesnt do THAT much chip damage. its more useful because its safe if blocked. and cables grenades are actually called "electrap's" which imo is a retarded name.

Well, if you mash 3 chipping hailstorms that's pretty damned good damage if you ask me... certainly a lot more chip than most moves (barring Doom's rocks).

I've NEVER heard the cable grenades called that... you're right, it IS retarded.

--flux

Ryan

Could you imagine how annoying that would be? If cable kept yelling out "ELECTRAP" everytime someone throws a grenade.

It'd be worse than storm's AH AH AH AH ::)
fighting game noob

gunsmoke

basic MVC2 4 begginer Ironman jump up foward hk HUH HUH Hah HUH Infinite start repeat ( lp lp lk up HP ) ;D ;D ;D ;D
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

Eddy_COMBO

Yesterday I performed my first Cable Air Viper Beam Cannonx3 yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x3 yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i only picked him up last-week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was against the CPU yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----well not really lol, cpu=vely eegee man lol

You guuys prolly did it in 5 mins yay!---oh ah f_ck lol

Man I keep gettin wasted at Yifans........Im the Afroo-Tekken dude that uses Cpt.America and Ryu......

I might add Cable but I need to learn some kinda offensive with and I dont mean

FP, FP, FP, FP, Juggernaut Dash Assist Rinse n Repeat man that dude was usin that over and over again against me lol.

Soz for noob notation FP means Fierce Punch or f_ck the strongest punch lol
PSN: primofreak
Currently playing - Call of Duty Black Ops, Soul Calibur 4, MVC2

fluxcore

Haha, nice post :)

Once you get AHVB down, the main other tricks with it are:
- HP, HP, HP, HP, Scimitar (whiff) XX AHVB, AHVB, AHVB which only connects on grounded opponents, but is an awesome punisher from as far as full screen away
- jumping HP shot on opponent falling in from side of screen (really early, just as they enter), land, AHVB x 3 << guard break
- As another character, when blocking a laggy move -> counter in Cable (b, db, d + assist) XX AHVB x 3 (tricky but so powerful!)

Also, his grenades (qcb+punch) are really good for controlling space on the screen. Oh, and the cr.lk, lk, b+hk (+ assist) xxx AHVBs is a good low-hit starting combo.

If you're serious about learning the game and not getting wasted, it's highly advised to watch as many match vids as possible. At first you'll probably be "WTF IS GOING ON?!" but after trying things out and watching more, everything becomes clear... MvC2 is a pretty complex game.
Oh, and get rid of that garbage team :) Cable is really good with a projectile or anti air assist, specifically Sentinel a/b, doom rocks, or commando anti air.

Other guys: please note I'm not against low tier teams, but if you're trying to get better and not get wasted, starting off with trash isn't going to get you far...

--flux

samurai black

learn how to tkahvb off cables hk. low tiers can give you a feel for the game, but theyre very limited in comparison to the other characters, who have many many options. projectile sent doesnt really help cable as much as ground sentinel. cable benefits alot from a forward moving assist. the worst thing you can do with cable is be predictable, so you have to learn to mix it up

also, tkshinkuu hadouken isfaster than tkahvb :O

recovery however is terrible :S

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

Flux is right....low tiers have their place but in all seriousness, to get better, you have to use better characters.