• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

New Plymouth first starting out tournament need help

Started by baka101, August 22, 2009, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baka101

That would be awesome, but you guys would have to come down for say a week to scope out exactly what I am against it to hard to explain in text what I am against without seeing for real what New Plymouth is missing.  Only after you guys seeing first hand its way to hard to even grasp it, as auckland,wellington,hamilton,christchurch have always had the updated arcades unlike here. And people in your cities still care about keeping the jap arcade scene alive unlike here as I said the newest game we have is Battle Gear 4 and Ghost Scope I think its called and no SFIII,Tekken 5,Tekken 6,SF4,Blazeblue.

So yeh thanks for the ongoing help please keep it coming all you guys.

Mark aka Baka101
from arcade culture on Insomnia

Only the skilled may live -- the rest will die.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

Quote from: Smoofikith on August 24, 2009, 02:08:19 PM
Wonder what would happen if some of us went down there and hyped shit up. Suddenly the whole town would be like THE DAMAGERRRRR
all the New Plymouth gurls say that anyway after the last time I was down there  8)

yeahh Boiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

HoneyBadger

Quote from: baka101 on August 24, 2009, 02:32:21 PM
That would be awesome, but you guys would have to come down for say a week to scope out exactly what I am against it to hard to explain in text what I am against without seeing for real what New Plymouth is missing.  Only after you guys seeing first hand its way to hard to even grasp it, as auckland,wellington,hamilton,christchurch have always had the updated arcades unlike here. And people in your cities still care about keeping the jap arcade scene alive unlike here as I said the newest game we have is Battle Gear 4 and Ghost Scope I think its called and no SFIII,Tekken 5,Tekken 6,SF4,Blazeblue.

So yeh thanks for the ongoing help please keep it coming all you guys.

Mark aka Baka101

I know what you're talking about bro, and that'll make it really hard to spread the word. Do you guys have any major net cafs or anything? If you don't have an arcade that's probably the closest you're going to get
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

zos'la

i was in the exact same state of mind as you 5 months ago, I only saw the arcade scene which consist of about 10 players max and of course the random individuals, until I strike to this forum and found these very pro addicted SF players lawl.

The best way to get words out there and especially in NP would be running around with pamphlets at schools/ university if any, new paper is not really something a gamer would look at tbh... I mean personally not the younger age teens, but if its cheap then its worth a go!!!
radio would be nice if its cheap :)

(EDITED)
I will only go if you can find some hot blonde chick and party all night long :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

baka101

Cool thanks guys I will try that, but also I am waiting for the admin to finish his tournament also to give me ideas and maybe him and yourselves would like to make a road trip of it and come down and meet me and see what this will take etc. You guys have much in the way of experience in running tournaments and are very hungry for fighting games it seems as much as you are hungry for arcade altogether which pleases me immensely, if most of you are in either Hamilton or Auckland will I see you new years eve or new years day.

Thanks

Mark aka Baka101

stereomonkey

Quote from: baka101 on August 24, 2009, 03:30:02 PM
Cool thanks guys I will try that, but also I am waiting for the admin to finish his tournament also to give me ideas and maybe him and yourselves would like to make a road trip of it and come down and meet me and see what this will take etc.

Mark aka Baka101

Which admin you talking about bro?
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

baka101

Sorry yeh there are many admins I meant yourself and flux. And the other person sorry cant remember name that same to make a day of it and come down for a roadtrip.

Thanks

Baka101 aka Mark

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: baka101 on August 24, 2009, 03:51:36 PM
Sorry yeh there are many admins I meant yourself and flux. And the other person sorry cant remember name that same to make a day of it and come down for a roadtrip.

Thanks

Baka101 aka Mark

I can only assume you mean Lenny? Or maybe Andy, given his activity in this topic?
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

OK I've been thinking about this a bit, and there isn't really much I can come up with tbh.

1st up, there's no way I'm going to New Plymouth for a week!

As for trying to find people, I guess the first thing to do is to post around places that are likely to get some nibbles that you're interested in running a tournament and for people to get in contact with you if they are interested. From that you can meet a couple of the people, play some games together, and generally just start small. Once you've met a couple of dudes I'm sure they'll know of other people or places that will generate more interest. Once you've got >8 people interested then just make a little tourney to test the waters. Put some money up or something to get a little interest in it.

Now, by far the toughest bit will be finding the initial 8 people. It will probably take a long time, but you'll probably make some good friends out of it.

An arcade would seem to be a really difficult thing to start up tbh, especially in a place that presumably used to have arcades, but they have closed down. I would think as a business proposition it would probably be pretty high on the list of 'risk ventures'. I'm not really sure quite how much research you've done into it, but from what I understand the only things that make money these days in an arcade are the ticket-games. It would be very hard to start an arcade with fighting games, especially in an area not already famed for a decent community. There's a reason why these games are going online, I'm sad to say.

I think you need to think exactly about what you want to achieve. Just for further thought, while I can imagine moving cities for fighting games in Japan or the US, I really don't think it's worth it in NZ, unless of course you have other reasons for moving as well.

Sorry if that's all a bit of a downer, but I'd really hate to give you tons of "yeah man, do it! sounds awesome!" only for something to fall apart and potentially set you back a lot of time and money.

If I've got completely the wrong idea, feel free to correct me though :)
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

baka101

It was hydrokinesis, he said he would make his way down if a tournament was held in new plymouth.

baka101

Yeh Flux I wouldn't start up a arcade until I knew that it could survive and we had a community willing to support by coming along. That's a future thing if I even bother with New Plymouth at all, plus Auckland,Hamilton and Wellington has got a decent arcade fighting community for me to move too. Yeh the arcades did close down but the people running them had no idea on how to run an arcade or they weren't even the arcade gamer type how can those types expect to attract crowds when they don't play the games or have love for the arcade.  And yeh redemption games are a big source of money to hold up the arcade as I am aware at Manners Mall Timeout but does Yiffans survive due to mainly Asians playing the machines I really don't know, they seem to have the most arcade machines I have seen.

And yeh try to get those 8+ people interested and involved in this project.
So yeh if I could get some examples of when you guys first started a tournament or practice how it was, what was the down falls, the uphill battles, what you approved upon I want everything from your past experiences maybe a short story of holding your 1st eva tournament and how you got it started, how you meet the people who helped you along as all this would help greatly in helping me to actually get this idea of practice/tournament into a reality.

Thanks again

Mark aka Baka101

[NIUE] weazzyefff

lol our town in general survive off the asian population, and he ment 8 guys from NP. Yeah i'm sure you could make the biggest,baddest most hype arcade because you got love for the community, i say make it happen, plus arcades are just money printers imo.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

Quote from: baka101 on August 24, 2009, 08:46:50 PM
Yeh Flux I wouldn't start up a arcade until I knew that it could survive and we had a community willing to support by coming along. That's a future thing if I even bother with New Plymouth at all, plus Auckland,Hamilton and Wellington has got a decent arcade fighting community for me to move too. Yeh the arcades did close down but the people running them had no idea on how to run an arcade or they weren't even the arcade gamer type how can those types expect to attract crowds when they don't play the games or have love for the arcade.  And yeh redemption games are a big source of money to hold up the arcade as I am aware at Manners Mall Timeout but does Yiffans survive due to mainly Asians playing the machines I really don't know, they seem to have the most arcade machines I have seen.

And yeh try to get those 8+ people interested and involved in this project.
So yeh if I could get some examples of when you guys first started a tournament or practice how it was, what was the down falls, the uphill battles, what you approved upon I want everything from your past experiences maybe a short story of holding your 1st eva tournament and how you got it started, how you meet the people who helped you along as all this would help greatly in helping me to actually get this idea of practice/tournament into a reality.

Thanks again

Mark aka Baka101

It was me who started the first SF4 tournament in Auckland, if you ask me what motivated me, then I would say Daigo. After watching him play online made me wanting to become more competitve with SF4. I then entered my very first tournament held at RvB during SF4 Live party coming first with a control pad... yes control pad!!!!, then I got to this site and though il give the tournament a try and organized everything from there, with posters and advertisement via this site and the arcade in auckland I manage to pull 35 entrants on the very first tournament (including myself) charging $10 per entry. But this wouldn't of worked out without the help of the webmaster Alan who helped me with the brackets etc, imagneto who made teh poster and a couple of guys who was willing to help out on the day.

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

stereomonkey

Quote from: baka101 on August 24, 2009, 08:46:50 PM
That's a future thing if I even bother with New Plymouth at all, plus Auckland,Hamilton and Wellington has got a decent arcade fighting community for me to move too.

Hamilton has no scene at all tbh.  Except for Alan and Gino, there isn't anything there besides tekken.

Just wanting to point that out.

EDIT: Webmaster Alan.... lol!!!  :P
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

fluxcore

Actually tekken has died in hamilton (apparently due to SFIV, lol), and I don't go to the arcade, so it's actually only Gino.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness