• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

New Plymouth first starting out tournament need help

Started by baka101, August 22, 2009, 01:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydro

Quote from: fluxcore on August 25, 2009, 03:27:28 PM
Actually tekken has died in hamilton (apparently due to SFIV, lol), and I don't go to the arcade, so it's actually only Gino.

Hey I hit timezone whenever I'm in Ham too (like once or twice a month at best). . . lots of wannabe boxer players there.

baka101

Well guys I didn't know this about Hamilton I am only get relayed info from Jason Drake my mate in Hamilton he said that he plays many people there especially Asians at streetfighter IV but then again he could be lying about the scene I really don't know cause I haven't been to Hamilton to actually know what the scene is, only his word I guess.  And once again any scene with SF4 is better than no scene at all like New Plymouth that doesn't have an arcade with SF4 or Tekken 5 or 6.

So yeh.
from arcade culture on Insomnia

Only the skilled may live -- the rest will die.

Pinolicious

This post totally sounds Road Trip.  Get a van with an ps3/xb360 setup and do an NZism tour haha!
<PSN> Kriselda

stereomonkey

Quote from: baka101 on August 25, 2009, 04:15:56 PM
Well guys I didn't know this about Hamilton I am only get relayed info from Jason Drake my mate in Hamilton he said that he plays many people there especially Asians at streetfighter IV but then again he could be lying about the scene I really don't know cause I haven't been to Hamilton to actually know what the scene is, only his word I guess.  And once again any scene with SF4 is better than no scene at all like New Plymouth that doesn't have an arcade with SF4 or Tekken 5 or 6.

So yeh.

You would be surprised on how much of a bigger scene there is of people playing on consoles.  Sorry to sound harsh but stop crying about the none scene in New Plymouth and start finding your players.

Smoof gave you a very good place to search, Internet Cafes!  Also do you happen to play online on a console/PC?  Try starting up Lan Parties too if you can.  I'll try to find some players around NP tonight.  Don't ask me how because that's a secret ;)  

Quote from: Pinolicious on August 25, 2009, 04:40:57 PM
This post totally sounds Road Trip.  Get a van with an ps3/xb360 setup and do an NZism tour haha!

Bro, I would fly back over to hire a Maui camper Van and tour NZ to repersent NZism and fighting games.  That sounds like a mean as plan!!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

baka101

Ok Stereomonkey that would be so awesome if you had people in secret in New Plymouth, and also working on a letter to both to Pam Smith manager of Toptown cinema 5 and must find out the guy running bowlarama to somehow come in and change the face of arcades here with references to industry articles,fighting game websites,arcade websites,business websites,arcades in Wellington,Auckland etc. If accepted I would work along side of them that's a side project if it happens but first to show that new plymouth has a fighting game community, that would prove that there is a market then with that I could if accepted work along side pam or other guy and get an arcade hopefully similar to ones in auckland or wellington, yes I am one man but I will try but it would be easier if you get your secret guys in new plymouth to assist me in someway but I will try in the mean time as one person.

Thanks

Baka101 aka Mark

zos'la

just come live in auckland.... best city in nz for gaming :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on August 26, 2009, 07:45:42 AM
just come live in auckland.... best city in nz for gaming :)

Not to be racist, but thats only because it has the largest asian population in the country.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

I wouldn't say just because of large Asian population = better gaming scene as I believe its quiet multicultural. But if you are saying more competitive play/ hardcore players then yes most asians are as they tend to be the type that take gaming as a hobby/sport.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on August 26, 2009, 10:42:19 AM
I wouldn't say just because of large Asian population = better gaming scene as I believe its quiet multicultural. But if you are saying more competitive play/ hardcore players then yes most asians are as they tend to be the type that take gaming as a hobby/sport.

It IS quite multicultural, However in the case of your post, the latter breeds the former. Theyre not mutually exclusive.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

look at it this way, last tournament had like 15 odd asians?? just a guess, top 5 players where asian excluding Ben. Then the rest belongs to other group of people, but this is out of 47 entrants. Of course we can not take this as some sort of proper none bias survey but it gives you a good idea that it is not just because there are more Asians in Auckland that makes the gaming scene better/ bigger in anyway.

stereomonkey

Quote from: zosla on August 26, 2009, 11:31:23 AM
look at it this way, last tournament had like 15 odd asians?? just a guess, top 5 players where asian excluding Ben. Then the rest belongs to other group of people, but this is out of 47 entrants. Of course we can not take this as some sort of proper none bias survey but it gives you a good idea that it is not just because there are more Asians in Auckland that makes the gaming scene better/ bigger in anyway.

Well, at least us black fullas have rugby :)
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

baka101

Well stereomonkey I still want your help or too meet those new plymouth guys/girls. But in the mean time I will compose a letter to both arcades, and try to get things moving and after there reply I will see whether they with me or not, also if I can get enough how to run a successful tournament tips from you guys I can also present my case to a guy in a clothing store Playground I spoke to him some time ago and he was going to open an arcade but was not sure due to an unknown market in new plymouth, and convince him to assist in my efforts so he can get his image out there like many businesses we have in new plymouth like Club55 and Sushi Ninja are very well known and so are the people running them, so do something like that for him through running tournaments, getting his pic in paper, talking to the youth in town about upcoming tournaments etc.

Now if my talks with the arcades and running the tournament/get together fail I will give up on this place and eventually get my job as a draughtsperson in new plymouth then transfer to Auckland, but for Auckland to be any good I would have to flat with high levels fighting players cause the point of moving out of new plymouth is to get some high end leveling up and if I aint practicing with high level players always then these no point cause asians dont make friends with white guys that often well the gamer asians anyway, so I would need the high level from you guys etc.

So yeh

Baka101 aka Mark

zos'la

lol... WHO SAYS!!!
now lets not get down on the race side of things shall we.
If you come up to Auckland you will make plenty of Asian friends, you can ask anyone forum member here that its not like what you think.

I am ASIAN myself and enjoy meeting people as much as I love to play SF4... :)

actually I prefer to meet girls thanks :P

HoneyBadger

Yeah, Like 2/3 of our asian members are chinese and the other 1/3 are mixed. You don't really get everyone speaking in chinese and making you feel out of place if that's what you mean.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

baka101

Hey man I love Asians, I have Japanese friends,Chinese friends etc but many of the ones in Auckland I would love to be friends with them, but they seem to keep to there groups and not let in white guys etc, which is unfortunate but that's the way it is, but it seems once you become a challenge in fighting games they seem to accept you more so if everything here fails eventually try to flat with you high end gamers and level up and meet Asian friends which I would really enjoy, unfortunately I can be a otaku and a japanophile but not geeky just my interests sway towards that.

So yeh I will be your friend Zosla if that what you saying and hopefully meet up with you in new years eve and new years day, and arcade against you, but I can be quite a scrub with streetfighter 4 as I don't have the friends to verse here or not knowing the streetfighter community who may play here and with no, *gasp* sf4 arcade machine here for high level play, hopefully that letter I will perfect will get some motivation from those arcades if not you guys already know what I will do.

Oh I just joined facebook also the name is Mark Charteris if anyone is interested, up to you guys and yes found nzism facebook entry and added that group thanks.

Baka101 aka Mark