• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Jan 13th

Started by fluxcore, January 11, 2007, 01:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

I'll probably be up in Auckland on the 13th (this sat) during the day, so if anyone wants to meet up briefly in town/Yifan's I can probably organise to be there. Hit me up with a PM if you want my cell # or something.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Coddfish

You know, I was planning on going into town on Saturday to get some playing in, what a coincidence!

I don't know the names of any places in town (I live in the suburbs), but I do remember a really great arcade there. On Queen street, its underground, really great place with every game you could want to play. There's a row of photo stalls just as you walk in. Is this Yifan's that you're talking about?

Anyway, hope to see you there. Hope you can teach me, oh great sensei :P

EDIT
I went to Yifan's today, it was the place I was thinking of. Don't know if I saw you there, seeing as we wouldn't recognize each other even if we did.
As my first experience playing in an arcade, all I can say is that sticks are difficult when you've been playing on pad all your life. I couldn't even do basic QCF-type moves =/. I fought a Sol player on #Reload, he was good, but I think I could matched him if I was able to play properly. Anyway, I have a stick incoming that I got on TradeMe for $45, so hopefully I'll be able to work on that and put in some much better play next time I'm there.

geneterror

I cruised past Yifans for a couple of games on Saturday. Had a game of MvC2 but there was no comp. I just wanted a game though as my Dreamcast died a while back and I haven't played for a while. Damn I'm rusty. Really enjoyed KOF XI but will wait for the PS2 release in March before I start playing it properly. My only real practice on KOF XI so far has been one of my friends bringing around the Jap version.
KOW 2011

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

week days would be a better bet for mvc2 comp......altho sundays r sumtyms good...

but theres more kof97-98 and t5:dr comp then anything else these days :-[
The New Generation Clockw0rk

fluxcore

Quote from: D0P3FI3ND on January 14, 2007, 04:20:13 PM
week days would be a better bet for mvc2 comp......altho sundays r sumtyms good...

but theres more kof97-98 and t5:dr comp then anything else these days :-[

Weekdays? WTF? that's no good! :D

I went in there briefly (probably half an hour or so), got destroyed at GGXX#R by some Venom player, then moved to MvC2 where one Akuma/Ryu/Ken scrub challenged me (bad move... whipped his ass with MSP, big surprise) I'm really rusty in both games, only thing I actually get to play these days is UMK3. Plus I just can't get used to those jap sticks! *excuses*

Should have checked out KOFXI but my gf wanted to get out of there by then.

geneterror: XI is definitely due for march? Awesome! (ah yeah, I see it's "late feb" on gpstore). Pick this one up, people, it's supposed to be HOT!

coddfish: Good to hear you got some play! Sticks certainly take some getting used to when you're used to pads, but it really is a lot better with sticks. I made a custom stick about 8 years ago and never looked back; As I said though, I still have problems with the ones at yifan's. My only real advice is DON'T GET XARCADE and also have heard that the KOF sticks which are easy to find on trademe at the moment aren't too good... hope this isn't spoiling your purchase!

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

geneterror

Yeah weekdays is when all the students are in there and most don't bus back in just to play on weekends. I know my MvC2 game was at it's best when I was at design school on Queen St, I spent about 2 hours a day playing down there. Alas the real world caught up with me and work means I can't get down there on weekdays now though. Some Friday nights seem quite busy though.
KOW 2011

Coddfish

The stick I got is one of the old grey and yellow Namco sticks. I'm hoping to customize it in the near future; Fate seems to have found a supplier of Sanwa parts in Aus, though color range, for sticks at least, is lacking.

It was kind of buggy at first, often giving me "no controller" errors, but it seems to have sorted itself out. Must have just been the years of hibernation. I'm getting the hang of it though, I should be much more capable if I go into town again this weekend.

I also played 3S for the first time ever while I was there, its great. I'm looking at importing SF:AC from the states so I can start to play some proper 3S.

fluxcore

Quote from: Coddfish on January 15, 2007, 04:19:11 PM
I also played 3S for the first time ever while I was there, its great. I'm looking at importing SF:AC from the states so I can start to play some proper 3S.

Yeah, sucks that we got gypped out of that one! I have it for DC, but of course it's based on the revision, and has no unblockables. 3s is one of the biggest 2d fighters around at the moment, I got pretty bored with it a couple of years back, but maybe I should give it another go sometime.

--flux

samurai black

Quote from: geneterror on January 14, 2007, 01:11:45 AM
Really enjoyed KOF XI but will wait for the PS2 release in March

serious? wouldn't mind picking that up, gives me another means of practice. just not dedicated enough to pour money into it at the arcade, unlike marvel ;D

fluxcore

Quote from: samurai black on January 16, 2007, 04:33:16 PM
serious? wouldn't mind picking that up, gives me another means of practice. just not dedicated enough to pour money into it at the arcade, unlike marvel ;D

Good man. Personally I like to have some practice under the belt before going to the arcade, so it's nice to get a game on console relatively soon after its appearance in the arcade. Of course, I still won't have any comp...

Marvel however just breaks all the rules... game is too good.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
--flux

samurai black

that would be nice, but the fact is that PAL releases take forever. kof xi has been at yifans for a year now, and we finally get a release date in march? at least we've got it better than the states for once. i dont think theyre actually getting a stateside release for kof xi.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

I cant complain. hell, ill probably end up pre ordering this anyway. the wait just makes it all the more satisfying when you get it.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Coddfish

Quote from: samurai black on January 16, 2007, 05:15:51 PM
at least we've got it better than the states for once. i dont think theyre actually getting a stateside release for kof xi.

I heard rumors that for the most part, Sony USA aren't allowing stateside releases of 2D games that aren't part of a compilation - because it creates a "bad image", doesn't show off their systems' abilities or something.
At first I just shrugged it off as a silly rumor, but with the wave of PS2 ports that have come out in NTSC-J and PAL, but not NTSC, makes me think this might actually be true. If it is, good fucking game Sony America =/.

fluxcore

Quote from: samurai black on January 16, 2007, 05:15:51 PM
that would be nice, but the fact is that PAL releases take forever. kof xi has been at yifans for a year now, and we finally get a release date in march? at least we've got it better than the states for once. i dont think theyre actually getting a stateside release for kof xi.

Has it been that long? Well, at least another version of the game hasn't been released since. Unlike Guilty Gear (can't even get slash), Tekken (no 5.1 or DR [PSP does NOT count]), SamSho (5 special hasn't come out, let alone tenka)...

I know the situation in jp is better, but that's not really the issue. XI being the latest KoF and almost being available is quite a coup for PAL.

--flux

gunsmoke

KAPKOM power........ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!