• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Any religious folk in here?

Started by Hydro, December 04, 2009, 04:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

Yeah I was bummed when i found out what real satanism was.  You cant even summon demons and shit... :(

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[8-----D] Toots

Quote from: The Lenny on December 04, 2009, 06:08:49 PM
Yeah I was bummed when i found out what real satanism was.  You cant even summon demons and shit... :(

Hahahaha

Im an Atheist but I don't completely rule out the possibility of there being a God or such.

Graeme, James: If like Jesus or God came flying down to earth how would your guys religious beliefs change. I've never really got a decent answer out of an Agnostic.

moose!

Quote from: geneterror on December 04, 2009, 05:10:32 PM
Quote from: hydrokinesis on December 04, 2009, 04:55:06 PM
Quote from: geneterror on December 04, 2009, 04:52:41 PM
I'm an Agnostic, lapsed Satanist. For reals.

Some of the nicest people I've met have been Satanists. Frankly Graeme, I'm not really surprised, you're really a big softy afterall :D
Well as I'm sure you know, Satanists don't actually believe in some cartoon ideal of Satan created by Christians.

Eye for an eye. I really am a giant softy, I see no point in trying to be hard I left that shit behind a long time ago, but in line with true Satanist ideals fuck with me or mine and I'll fuck you back twice as hard :)
Not a full fledged member of the Church of Holy Terror?

:D

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Toomeke on December 04, 2009, 06:23:24 PM

Graeme, James: If like Jesus or God came flying down to earth how would your guys religious beliefs change. I've never really got a decent answer out of an Agnostic.

Well the whole package of the belief is that this type of thing won't happen in the first place. lol at the flying part though.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

LOL at this topic. Have you's seen that family guy episode where he tells the scientific side with tadpoles and shit walking onto land, and then tells the GOD side and it has that ''I Dream of Genie'' chick blinking with her arms folded and creating life. lol. Yeah thats how i feel.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

geneterror

Hahahaha

Im an Atheist but I don't completely rule out the possibility of there being a God or such.

Well then really you're an Agnostic as well. Atheists deny God or Deities even if one was to materialise right in front of them they would still deny it as truth even with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
This is what Wikipedia has to say about Agnostics (yeah I know Wikipedia wahwah but it put's it in better words than I could:
QuoteStrong agnosticism (also called "hard," "closed," "strict," or "permanent agnosticism")the view that the question of the existence or nonexistence of a deity or deities and the nature of ultimate reality is unknowable by reason of our natural inability to verify any experience with anything but another subjective experience. A strong agnostic would say, "I cannot know whether a deity exists or not, and neither can you."
Weak agnosticism (also called "soft," "open," "empirical," or "temporal agnosticism")the view that the existence or nonexistence of any deities is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if any evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say, "I don't know whether any deities exist or not, but maybe one day when there is evidence we can find something out."
I don't believe in the existence of God/Deities but if one was to materialise before my eyes and speak to me it would be ignorant of me to deny it's existence.
While the whole strong/weak agnostic thing is actually new to me I guess I would fall into the weak agnostic category by the above definition. I have considered myself Agnostic for over a decade now approx 15 years.
KOW 2011

CrazyMobius

But it's kinda a trick question. Why not just ask an Atheist "If you believed in God would you believe in God?"?

Hydro

Then you're an Agnostic not an Atheist, though I understand your meaning, I too feel like I identify more as an Atheist, though I too cannot rule out the possibility, so therefore. . . Agnostic it is.

[8-----D] Toots

Kinda what Graeme said/quoted.

I prefer to use the term Atheist as it gives people a clearer understanding on your belief. If you say your an Agnostic some might assume that you neither believe/disbelieve in God.

You may want to look up negative and positive atheism

"Negative atheism is simply the lack of theistic belief, positive atheism is the asserted disbelief in God, and agnosticism is the lack of either belief or disbelief in God. This suggests that negative atheism, the minimal position that all atheists share, divides neatly into agnosticism and positive atheism. It is worth noting that the 'positive atheist' need not have certainty that God doesn't exist: it is a matter of belief, not knowledge."

I guess I would call myself a positive atheist. Only solid evidence proving that God was real would make me believe.

Oh and my question was simply asking "IF God was real, would you respect/worship/follow him/her?"

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Toomeke on December 04, 2009, 09:05:35 PM
Kinda what Graeme said/quoted.

I prefer to use the term Atheist as it gives people a clearer understanding on your belief. If you say your an Agnostic some might assume that you neither believe/disbelieve in God.

You may want to look up negative and positive atheism

"Negative atheism is simply the lack of theistic belief, positive atheism is the asserted disbelief in God, and agnosticism is the lack of either belief or disbelief in God. This suggests that negative atheism, the minimal position that all atheists share, divides neatly into agnosticism and positive atheism. It is worth noting that the 'positive atheist' need not have certainty that God doesn't exist: it is a matter of belief, not knowledge."

I guess I would call myself a positive atheist. Only solid evidence proving that God was real would make me believe.

Oh and my question was simply asking "IF God was real, would you respect/worship/follow him/her?"

The other trick is that when we start talking about reality and belief they can get all mixed up so when someone either does believe or doesn't believe in God it starts to become that individual's reality. So if someone believes in God, then God suddenly becomes real. If they do not believe in God, God then ceases to be real.

fluxcore

IT bro, the flying spaghetti monster is an IT!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

Hydro

You should try using "If a god" rather than "If god". Thats a much less loaded question.

People (in the western civilized world mainly) tend to think only in terms of God (Being the one of christian mythology) as being "the god" so it's kinda like asking what Mobius said earlier.

You may as well be asking me this:

"If you saw the god of Christian mythology would you believe in the god of Christian Mythology."

It's somewhat rhetorical isn't it? further to that, it's one without a real answer being in that it's one that's based on accepting a particular premise attaining to a particular God.

A similar question would be:

"If you saw a fairy at the bottom of your garden would you believe in faeries?"

Doesn't stop a Fairy from being any more real than what it is already, as a matter of belief. Which is really the guts of this whole Agnostic thing anyway.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

lol richard that pic is so awesome lol
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

Gino

Sorry guys, TimeCube.
But seriously not really.