• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

DOA4 at Xlan (christ almighty...)

Started by Wugga, April 15, 2007, 02:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wugga

So, who's up for paying $75 to lose to me at DOA!?

...Yeah, I didn't think so.

Well, Xlan's in July, $75 entry. Yes it's a PC gaming event, which mean retarded stuff like Counter Strike, but since DOA4 was announced as a WCG Pan Asian game, they're making a token gesture of running a DOA4 tournament, with a minimum entrants requirement of 20 players with some BS line about requiring community support (not that a DOA4 community exists within the PC gaming community).
The prize if the tournament reaches numbers is pretty beefy, you get to be the WCG representative and no doubt a bunch of miscelaneous crap (probably for 2nd and 3rd too at that), but yeah, $75 entry fee. Ridiculous.

Maybe we (the forumgoers here) could hook up as a "clan", bring our X-Arcade sticks, and jam on MAME all day and other such things? We could make it a decadant weekend of fighting games if there are enough of us, make it worth the $75, and enter the DOA tournament, secure me a place on the WCG team going to Seattle and Singapore (or beat me and take my place!)
Mashing all the wrong buttons since 1981

fluxcore

Auckland I presume?

But $75... yeah, holy christ on a stick...

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Wugga

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. It's like it's being set up just so they say they tried, but in reality they're doing their best to sabotage it from the get go.
xlan.co.nz is the site.
And you can check out this thread on the issue: http://xlan.co.nz/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3101&start=20 - You might recognise me, I play THE VOICE OF REASON. *sigh*

fluxcore

You live in Hamilton, right? I'm tempted to train with you just to have SOME representation of fighting games there... the only reason I'm really hesitant is because I'm not currently aware of how to get sticks working with 360 - I'm very reluctant to switch back to pad (especially if there's the possibility of UMK3/Hyper Fighting play).

As you say, we could always MAME it up... it's even possible I might have my arcade machine up and running by then (although we'd need a van to cart it up there)

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Wugga

Hells yeah dude - any time you're interested, I also have a couple of friends who could stand to learn the finer points of Guilty Gear (and probably 2D fighters in general).
The long and the short of arcade sticks on the 360 is that there is one - just one (that I know of anyway) that you can use, which is the DOA4 Hori Arcade Stick. It's alright, but Iimagine it's not everyones cup of tea, and with UMK3, I don't believe you can change the button config, probably rendering it useless unless you're adaptable to stuff like that... You could probably hack up a wired 360 controller, but that'll cost time and money...

Wugga

They've lowered the minimum numbers to 12, which IMO is great news, a far more achieveable target.

Coddfish

This sounds interesting, I don't know if I'll have $75 to enter, though :S

Also when in July is it? I don't get back from South Africa till the 28th, so unless its during the last couple of days of july I wouldn't be able to make it anyway.

fluxcore

Wugga

If we're signed up early enough with enough people, I might be able to convince the organisers to run some mini-comps (the official name for competitions that aren't WCG qualifiers or Battlefield) for us.

Wugga

Maybe if we had a few extra people we could make an Auckland vs. Hamilton event out of it?

fluxcore

Quote from: Wugga on April 19, 2007, 07:18:08 PM
Maybe if we had a few extra people we could make an Auckland vs. Hamilton event out of it?

Well, we might be able to do a 2 on 2! :o

--flux

Wugga

That'd be cool. I'll cover the DOA and Virtua Fighter (?), you take the 2D games (lol, all 50 of them or something) and Tekken.  :P

Gino

2 on 2 would be sweet!
Flux, we need to have another event soon.

fluxcore

Yeah, I know... I've been really busy and haven't had time to organise anything. Also haven't heard a peep from Steve since the tourney (although I haven't said a peep either)

--flux

Wugga

Couldn't we do 3 on 3 if we three went?