• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

BBFC research on video games and gaming released

Started by fluxcore, April 18, 2007, 10:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluxcore

What with the recent school shooting in the good ol' US, that prick Jack Thompson has been back having a go at video games. Presumably someone playing Doom is the cause of mass school slaughter, and the ease of firearm availability has nothing to do with. Apparently the state in which the shooting occurred requires no gun license to purchase a firearm, and there are no background checks or holding periods - about the only constraint is that you can't buy more than one gun a month.

Anyway, the British Board of Film Classification has released the results of some of their research towards what gamers think of when they are playing games... here's a link to a news site reporting it, and within lies a link to the full report. Quite interesting, I think, and about what I would expect. My girlfriend's parents think that FPSes are bad news for society, so maybe I should show it to them...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/qj/ds/~3/109809496/89692

Any thoughts?

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

Coddfish

Wouldn't piss on JT if he was on fire.

If anything, its society having a bad impact on video games, not the other way. Damn "regular people" and their 3D revolution. Who needs good gameplay when you have graphics, amirite?

fluxcore

I don't know if you guys have heard of Empire Arcadia, but they are organising a protest in New York against this very issue...

Check http://ds.qj.net/Gamers-called-to-protest-school-killings-and-the-blame-placed-on-video-games/pg/49/aid/89804 for more info (or the digg link http://digg.com/gaming_news/Gamers_Planning_Propaganda_Protest_in_NYC)

Triforce has gained notoriety in the SRK circles for his... different... ideas on promoting the gaming scene, but I think he's actually doing a very good job - he has somewhat of a business mind and has already gotten MTV coverage of a fighting game tournament (mainly for the personalities involved rather than the game - but that's why he's different - he actually knows how to appeal to mass media).

Some people are saying "it's too soon" or that responding at all is just playing into Jack Thompson's hands... I dunno, I think there needs to be SOME response to such an unfounded allegation (JT linked the killings to video games BEFORE the killer had even been named)

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

samurai black

jack thompson is blaming counterstrike, and making all sorts of wild accusations. there are reports from the vtech shooters roomate that the guy didnt play any violent games.... jt gonna blame tetris?

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

OH NOES!!! TEH BLOKZ R FALLIN!!! DUN LET THEM FORM A LIEN OR DEY WILL KILL EACH OTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.