• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

XLAN 2010

Started by Lennysaurus, February 15, 2010, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

shouldn't u be testing on crt  Thomas?
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

electric

Quote from: zosla on July 04, 2010, 03:14:11 PM
shouldn't u be testing on crt  Thomas?

I agree - I did the same "lag test" on my TV by using the laptops screen as the baseline and I had identical results, but I know for a fact that the timing is different between my TV and the CRT I'm using now

Those results will be skewed bro - you'll need to somehow feed video to both the monitor and a CRT to get true results
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Skullator

You're assuming that vga or svideo OUT on high end graphics cards \ devices that are definitely lag free, can have this fast number run across to two completely different branded \ model device's IN's , AND MATCH IT TO THE .001 , and that there can still be some "Variable amount" of lag happening per device just because it's an LCD panel not a CRT, and that the numbers can still somehow be EXACTLY THE SAME.

Assuming delay was occuring, the numbers wouldn't be exactly the same. The "Skewing" would show in the pictures lol.

CRT is the EASIEST WAY of being sure you are playing lag free. A CRT is not a requirement in knowing for certain something is lag free.
The Nvidia GTX 275 in my i7 920 build is another lag free device, when a high end graphics card goes straight to a  LCD's native resolution (depending on your monitors type) that can be just as a lag free as a CRT.
You've got to remember, the source program is an application that must be launched from a PC. How do you think people get their PC connected to their CRT television? That's right, their graphics cards send the image to the CRT via the Svideo or vga\rgb port (My graphics card has this, and I have a cable and a CRT, but when I know that what I'm doing is the exact same thing, I'm not even going to bother lifting that shit out of storage)
CRT will show, whatever it is given, lag free. But certainly not the only lag free device on the planet lol.

All monitors involved had Vga, Hdmi, Dvi ports, and we reversed the roles \ cabling each way to compare the hdmi ports on each device.

My monitors tested lag free:
1920x1080 on source to 1920x1080 on endpoint.
1280x720 on source to 1280x720 on endpoint (DOWNSCALED \ NON NATIVE) which was required for me as PS3 out's the game at 720p max. Meaning your monitor either has to pass the downscale test, or be 720p native.

zarzob

Hi guys

I have a PS3 and a PS2 stick to use, but I'm going to XLan next weekend for the Tekken 6 Tournament on 360

Can someone recommend a brand of ps2(or ps3) to 360 controller converter to use that won't lag (had experience with laggy ps2->ps3 converters)? Or can I borrow someone elses converter for the time at XLan? I know a bunch of people from NZism are coming for the SFIV tourney

I don't wanna go in and have to use a 360 controller, but at the same time I don't wanna be depending on others to use their equipment while I'm there

Is this a good one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Xbox-360/Accessories/Controllers/auction-300628216.htm

Would prefer not to buy one just for this event, so I would appreciate it if someone has a spare converter and I'll give them $10 to borrow it for the event :)

Cheers

fluxcore

Doesn't make any difference how much lag there is in any other device in the chain as long as the exact same output is going to each monitor. You aren't comparing the timestamp shown to anything other than the other monitor.

How do you know each of the monitors aren't equally laggy?

You need a known 0-lag monitor to compare against.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Skullator

I did assume high end HP 6540b laptop monitor to be lag free. My mistake.
So a CRT over Svideo on one side and the monitor over HDMI on the other side is sufficient? I'll do that later if it's going to be enough to get the seal of approval for the event.

Edit: Hey kids, do you like NZism? Then you're going to love not buying a PS3!

massi4h

Quote from: zarzob on July 04, 2010, 05:20:23 PM
Hi guys

I have a PS3 and a PS2 stick to use, but I'm going to XLan next weekend for the Tekken 6 Tournament on 360

Can someone recommend a brand of ps2(or ps3) to 360 controller converter to use that won't lag (had experience with laggy ps2->ps3 converters)? Or can I borrow someone elses converter for the time at XLan? I know a bunch of people from NZism are coming for the SFIV tourney

I don't wanna go in and have to use a 360 controller, but at the same time I don't wanna be depending on others to use their equipment while I'm there

Is this a good one? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/Xbox-360/Accessories/Controllers/auction-300628216.htm

Would prefer not to buy one just for this event, so I would appreciate it if someone has a spare converter and I'll give them $10 to borrow it for the event :)

Cheers

As long as you're not a masher, then I don't mind you using my TE stick. I think you're the guy Andy Wong has been talking about. Which means since you're coming that drops me down to 4th :( Unless I can beat Smoof.

zos'la

Quote from: massi4h on July 04, 2010, 08:26:21 PM
As long as you're not a masher, then I don't mind you using my TE stick. I think you're the guy Andy Wong has been talking about. Which means since you're coming that drops me down to 4th :( Unless I can beat Smoof.

what does that mean? 4th? who is this guy? is he good? I'm looking for a mentor...if you recommend him, I'll gladly pay my respects :)

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: zosla on July 05, 2010, 11:58:35 AM
what does that mean? 4th? who is this guy? is he good? I'm looking for a mentor...if you recommend him, I'll gladly pay my respects :)
The mighty Zarzob, he's got mean as combo vids on youtube and shit. He won the Mokujin tournament.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

zos'la

oh!!! wow...
but then again IDC bout tekken :(

Skullator

Quote from: Skullator on July 04, 2010, 08:21:17 PM
I did assume high end HP 6540b laptop monitor to be lag free. My mistake.
So a CRT over Svideo on one side and the monitor over HDMI on the other side is sufficient? I'll do that later if it's going to be enough to get the seal of approval for the event.

Flux will this test be good enough?

I will do it if it's required to ensure that both monitors were not experiencing the exact same amount of lag, instead of both being lag free. And I suspect that it may also make me the only person in this country with the equipment required and qualified to operate street fighter 4 on a playstation 3 + LCD panel due to the scaling tests.

I can assure you though that the high end laptop monitor shown in one of the pictures, and both lcd's.. are in fact lag free. And weren't all suffering from some mysterious magical number of anti street fighter lag due to not being the exact product perhaps posted on shoryuken though.

CRT over Svideo will show the same numbers

zos'la

I would really like to see this true and I want to test my monitor too...

fluxcore

I'm at work so can't actually dedicate enough of my brain to come up with a rigorous set of tests (and believe it would involve a lot of work), so:

sure, whatever
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Skullator

thanks, I'm stuck at the office too so will post results when they are done

HoneyBadger

lol Zarzob Andy will let you use his stick :3
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA