• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Auckland Giga SF4 2v2 Team Tournament: 12.00PM - 6.00PM Sat 6th Mar 2010

Started by zos'la, February 20, 2010, 02:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

The New Generation Clockw0rk

zos'la

Thanks, I'll take that offer up!!!
updated first post with poster as well, can a mod add the poster and map to the appropriate space on the first thread please? I'm not quiet sure how to... can only attach.
Poster can be right at the top and map can be below the address.

Thanks.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

nvm... was the wrong link... haha first time doing this.

Thanks anyways.

Also I did the poster myself... not the greatest... but it didn't seem like we had anyone who could help do it this time.
If anyone can do a better job xD let me know haha.

Is anyone able to print some of these out? Graeme not attending so I don't want to bother him.

zos'la

OKay, Just an update. FirstGames is officially our sponsor for this event, they will provide sponsor prizes as mentioned on teh first page.

Pre-Orders fro games are available on the day, so turn up and you will get a good deal, especially for Super Street Fighter 4. You won't find the price they give anywhere else.

fluxcore

Personally I question the need for sponsors for this event, considering it will lessen the possibility of sponsorship on other events which tie into the actual release of SSFIV.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

Quote from: fluxcore on February 25, 2010, 01:10:53 PM
Personally I question the need for sponsors for this event, considering it will lessen the possibility of sponsorship on other events which tie into the actual release of SSFIV.

Just to satisfy your need for this this, this was Giga's idea in getting FirstGames as sponsor and it was myself and Giga who both approach FirstGames for the sponsorship as they had businese relations already. I don't see any complications here? I am sure if we are to approach them again for teh Nations it will be much easier if they previously have experience as sponsorship for us as they will know that we have what it takes.

fluxcore

As a community we should be careful with wearing out the sponsors, since we have such a small base of people that it affects. If there are 20 of us and first games gives away 2 copies of SSFIV for a fairly random tournament (that from my understanding has a large entrance fee and doesn't really have much payback for the community other than it happening, which begs the question of why the high price?), that's 10% of the people that would be influenced by the advertising out right away. Not to mention that most of the people won't buy from firstgames even when we tell them that it's a really great place to buy stuff due to other reasons entirely.

Do you then think that for another event on the release of SSFIV first games will give away another 2 copies? Our community is just too small to be worth it for advertisers to be giving out games willy nilly when the advertising doesn't reach much further than the people they are already giving the games to.

Basically I think we need to be thinking towards a longer term, more cohesive plan, rather than just "hey I can run X tournament and charge lots and get sponsors" with no real goal.

zos'la

Quote from: fluxcore on February 25, 2010, 02:07:25 PM
As a community we should be careful with wearing out the sponsors, since we have such a small base of people that it affects. If there are 20 of us and first games gives away 2 copies of SSFIV for a fairly random tournament (that from my understanding has a large entrance fee and doesn't really have much payback for the community other than it happening, which begs the question of why the high price?), that's 10% of the people that would be influenced by the advertising out right away. Not to mention that most of the people won't buy from firstgames even when we tell them that it's a really great place to buy stuff due to other reasons entirely.

Do you then think that for another event on the release of SSFIV first games will give away another 2 copies? Our community is just too small to be worth it for advertisers to be giving out games willy nilly when the advertising doesn't reach much further than the people they are already giving the games to.

Basically I think we need to be thinking towards a longer term, more cohesive plan, rather than just "hey I can run X tournament and charge lots and get sponsors" with no real goal.

Point taken thought you're saying a small tournament? how much bigger do you think we can get as a community? I am thinking of building a relationship with our sponsors and in hoping to have some prizes to attract more people, you're talking about cost being high but you're not thinking about what people expect to be an actual prize to actually motivate them to join in and put some effort and practicing/ preparing for it. You as a site owner should be first to help out motivate people and not put negative thoughts all throughout the thread. There are always concerns and risk in hosting such events but if everyone just sits there and do nothing you will achive nothing. Our sponsors know exactly what our situation is and they are willing to help out with some prizes and I believe as a communtiy we should be thankful for such as they are not just in for selling their games, its an IMAGE for businese.
If you're just sticking with your miniture minds all day with miniture gatherings by all means. We don't have the resource to give away $1k prize, the only way to make it look any good is to increase the entry fee abit but in return we are giving away quiet decent prizes, cash and item prizes.

You say no realy goal? my goal is to boost the competitiveness in this community, which many of us lacks, with no motivation to improve but just go with the flow.  WE will never have a chance in any real tournaments apart from in NZ with such thoughts.

Now shall we get on with things?

geneterror

Quote from: zosla on February 22, 2010, 05:42:14 PM
Graeme not attending so I don't want to bother him.
Don't know if I'm attending yet I'm hoping to. Even if I can only make it down later in the day to hang out.

Also Andy you can always hassle me for posters I don't care even if I'm not going I'm always happy to help you, Lemmy, Alan with whatever you guys need.
Get back at me via txt or even better email geneterror(at)gmail.com.
KOW 2011

fluxcore

My argument is that regardless of prize, most of the same people we already know will show up anyway. You could have the prize being a pack of tic tacs and probably the same crew would show up, since most of us are in it for the competition, not the prizes.

The only tournaments that are going to attract new people are ones which have prizes for the people that don't get top 3, otherwise the entry fee is going to make them just say "why bother?"

Making events that only the current people will attend isn't furthering anything, except making our community more insular and incestuous, especially if only a subset of THOSE people will show up due to the entry fee being double what our nats were!

massi4h

On a different note I do believe Nats should have been at least $20. I think it should be at least $30 this year. If it's meant to be a professionally run tournament to claim the national champion.

fluxcore

Why?

A lower entry fee entices people that may not otherwise enter a tournament to at least think about it.

If your answer is that the top people should get lots of money, I again ask why? If they are in it for the money then I'm afraid they've picked the wrong thing to spend their time on.

If you don't think the prizes were really generous then I really don't know what else could have been done.

samurai black

Quote from: massi4h on February 25, 2010, 07:01:49 PM
On a different note I do believe Nats should have been at least $20. I think it should be at least $30 this year. If it's meant to be a professionally run tournament to claim the national champion.

fuck that. id rather go to yifans and then go to k-dizzle afterwards for a feed

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: fluxcore on February 25, 2010, 07:04:45 PM
Why?

A lower entry fee entices people that may not otherwise enter a tournament to at least think about it.

If your answer is that the top people should get lots of money, I again ask why? If they are in it for the money then I'm afraid they've picked the wrong thing to spend their time on.

If you don't think the prizes were really generous then I really don't know what else could have been done.

Birry Wong agrees.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.