• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Giga SF4 Fortnightlty Ranbats - Next Ranbat on Friday April the Sixteenth!!!

Started by zos'la, February 23, 2010, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

I really think the rambats should be use only for fundraising and not placements/seedings in the Nationa's but that is just my opinion, Lenny is the organizer for this so I'll leave this to him and the community to decide.
But as Flux stated that seeding or not, if the players got skill he will be taking himself all the way to where he deserves without needing to be seeded.

either way I am also looking forward to attend these when I can.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

Skullator

fluxcore

People respond to incentives. What's more enticing, paying your money and entering ranbats every week for:

Nothing more than bragging rights
or
A guaranteed position in the finals at our national tournament

?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

First of all, let me remind everyone that im not adminning anything. But im gonna throw out a proposal for how the ranbats could potentially work.

Ive been having a think about this, and i dont think the marvel ranking system will work right for this. Though to be fair, the other method ive been thinking about does HEAVILY favour people in auckland. That method is as follows.

Essentially, Im thinking we run a points system, based on results of small, single elimination tournaments. The format for them would not be a standard single elimination tourney though. Hypothetically, lets look at a tourney bracket. Players are named by letters A-H. Forgive the crudeness of the diagram

A
    ----   A
B

----   A

C
    ----   C
D

----   A             

E
    ----   E
F

----   E

G
    ----   G
H

Basically, we can see in this tourney, that player A won, and player E came second. Thats fine, but lets look at the rest of them. Player C and Player G are placed equally, and players B, D, F, and H are also on equal footing with each other.

For the ranbats, i would suggest a similar bracket, only we need to separate those players that are on equal footing. This is fairly simple. Player C and G just have to play each other to sort out 3rd and 4th. (lets say C wins, just for reference) Thats easy. But B, D, F and H basically need to play a small bracket of their own to sort out their placing. eg.

B
    ----   B
D

----   B

F
    ----   F
H

Here we can see B comes out on top, claiming overall 5th place, and F ends up with 6th overall. Then D fights H, and, if we assume D wins, then D comes 7th, and H comes 8th.

So the final standings for this makeshift ranbat are:

Ranbat #1:
1st: A
2nd: E
3rd: C
4th: G
5th: B
6th: F
7th: D
8th: H

Ok, thats great. For one ranbat. If we want them ALL to count, we need to impliment something that carrys over. This is where the point system comes in. This is the part i havent really thought through properly yet. But lets say we go for something like:

1st: 10 points
2nd: 9 points
3rd: 8 points
4th: 7 points
5th: 6 points
6th: 5 points
7th: 4 points
8th: 3 points

We can use hundreds, or thousands, or whatever. Bigger numbers might help to rank the lower players, depending on the turnout from week to week.

So, the current standings for this hypothetical randbat are:

OVERALL:
1st: A - 10 Points
2nd: E - 9 Points
3rd: C - 8 Points
4th: G - 7 Points
5th: B - 6 Points
6th: F - 5 Points
7th: D - 4 Points
8th: H - 3 Points.

Ok, Great. 2 weeks later, we have another ranbat. Lets pretend that the following are the results for the next ranbat:

Ranbat #2:
1st: C - 10 Points
2nd: B - 9 Points
3rd: G - 8 Points
4th: A - 7 Points
5th: D - 6 Points
6th: F - 5 Points
7th: E - 4 Points
8th: H - 3 Points.

We then add these points to the players totals, to get an overall ranking:

OVERALL:
1st: C - 18 Points
2nd: A - 17 Points
3rd: G - 15 Points
4th: B - 15 Points
5th: E - 13 Points
6th: F - 10 Points
7th: D - 10 Points
8th: H - 6 Points.

We have a couple of Ties in there, So we need to have some tiebreakers. G vs B, and F vs D respectively. Lets say G and F win their tiebreakers, so we give them an extra point, meaing the overall rankings become:

OVERALL:
1st: C - 18 Points
2nd: A - 17 Points
3rd: G - 16 Points
4th: B - 15 Points
5th: E - 13 Points
6th: F - 11 Points
7th: D - 10 Points
8th: H - 6 Points.

The players are now ranked, and as we continue from week to week, the rankings change and solidify. I am aware that the tiebreakers could potentially become a massive chain of tiebreakers, but ultimately, we STILL come away with the desired result.

Heres the blatantly obvious problem. Not all of us are going to be able to make it each week. Which means those that arent there end up with a lower overall rank than the regulars. This is something that would need addressing, maybe by making larger gaps in the points. ie. 1000pts for first, 500 for 2nd, 250 for 3rd etc.

That IS a pretty big flaw, but heres why i like this system. It gives us all more tourney experience. It helps those of us that suffer from major tourney nerves get over that shit, and potentially lead us to a better result at nationals.

And like Alan and Andy have both said, if a player is strong enough, he will get where he deserves regardless of seed. I think there are going to be glaring issues with whatever we do, but i think this will be the most beneficial for us. Hell, we might even be able to break out 2 in one night if we keep it short. But this, coupled with ORGANISED casuals i think would be the best way for everyone to level up their normal play, AND their tournament play.

Just an idea i thought id throw out. Id love to hear peoples thoughts.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

lol Bill you deserve a pat on teh back lol. that long post I really try hard to read but only skimmed throught it but got a good idea of what you're talking about.

It is sad that whatever we do someone will have some sort of issue on it and thats natural in our community since we are majority Auckland though many of our important players are from elsewhere which makes thing slightly hard to decide on.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on March 09, 2010, 02:51:55 PM
lol Bill you deserve a pat on teh back lol. that long post I really try hard to read but only skimmed throught it but got a good idea of what you're talking about.

It is sad that whatever we do someone will have some sort of issue on it and thats natural in our community since we are majority Auckland though many of our important players are from elsewhere which makes thing slightly hard to decide on.

Haha yea, i expect most people will skim it. But its fairly easy to understand. No matter what happens, the people outside fo auckland are going to lose out a bit i think.

But all the same, with this format, even if they only rock up a couple of times, they still get to jump in on some tourney action, and they get to throw their funds in the pot for the nats, and every bit of extra cash we can get for those counts.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Just for a glance at something that already has been being used for quite some time:

http://www.arcadeufo.com/blog/?page_id=286

As for the whole 'not aucklanders' thing, I think it's really not an issue, and isn't something I'd be taking into consideration. Not that it's my event.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

Quote from: fluxcore on March 09, 2010, 03:10:05 PM
Just for a glance at something that already has been being used for quite some time:

http://www.arcadeufo.com/blog/?page_id=286

As for the whole 'not aucklanders' thing, I think it's really not an issue, and isn't something I'd be taking into consideration. Not that it's my event.

I'm sure any help from you would be appreciated Flux. Whatever we do we try to make it broad so everyone gets something from it..if you know what I mean lol..

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Oh nice. Looks like i was on the right track. Although they didnt go with tiebreakers, which i guess keeps an element of confusion out of the whole system.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Skullator

Yeah non aucklanders is not a big deal as like you mentioned, best players are there already and it's a given that they will make it past the first rounds at nats... so it's better that they are seeded than peacing out newer players in there first match
(WHERE WAS THE JACKSMASH SEED LAST YEAR? FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- )

I was agreeing with Andy's "look forward to attending" earlier up the page, not going to lie I skimmed the prize stuff as I really don't care lol. My reason for attending will be training, and crashing at Manawhakore's pad afterwards for even more casuals (Lol Chur bro!)

gunsmoke

When r we going to do Marvel vs Capcom 2 again ?
LiFe iS gOoD wHeN u WaNa Be!

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: Skullator on March 09, 2010, 04:16:19 PM
Yeah non aucklanders is not a big deal as like you mentioned, best players are there already and it's a given that they will make it past the first rounds at nats... so it's better that they are seeded than peacing out newer players in there first match

I was agreeing with Andy's "look forward to attending" earlier up the page, not going to lie I skimmed the prize stuff as I really don't care lol. My reason for attending will be training, and crashing at Manawhakore's pad afterwards for even more casuals (Lol Chur bro!)

Manawakore.

Not Manakawhore, and not manawhakore. Theres no H bro. :P

And Ben: I dont think Marvel is gonna happen.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

electric

Quote from: ILL_BILL on March 09, 2010, 04:35:18 PM
Manawakore.

Not Manakawhore, and not manawhakore. Theres no H bro. :P

And Ben: I dont think Marvel is gonna happen.

That was an amazing typo
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

zos'la

Quote from: Skullator on March 09, 2010, 04:16:19 PM

Jack  and Fong was not previously ranked in any way therefore he was not seeded. And he didn't make it to top 8 in Nationals I beleive at the time, it was only at both Giga tournament where he actually got a placing. Which may or may not be legit enought to be use as  a seeding criteria for our Nationals though I won't comment anymore on that since it would be up to the organizers.

And Ben, Mavel ain't happening!!! its z past yo xD

Skullator

Haha thanks Bill... I got his number and we all saved each other on our cellys at nats.. but even that took like 5 mins for us all to get our names right.. and it looks like I was DESTINED TO FAIL here because I asked for his name and spelt it wrong on my phone.. so even though I copied from my phone contacts this time.. sigh............. one day.
ACTUALLY NO! I'm not calling him by that name again.. from now on he is Ace

Yeah Andy but that didn't stop me getting him round1 last year and getting destroyed by him, please consider my feelings when randomly assigning tournament brackets next time thanks lalalalalalalalalala~