• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Discipline. Justice. Commitment.

Main Menu

PS3 HDDs....

Started by samurai black, March 15, 2010, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samurai black

so anyway, theres nothing new about swapping out the HDD in the ps3 for something with more room. for those of you have done it, im just wondering, wtf happens to anything youve dl'd off PSN and game saves and stuff?

Lennysaurus

You can swapt the HDD, it is pretty easy I have done it for a cousin, but you lose heasp of your info.  You can backup your saves to something else and move them to the new HDD, but you will lose all your games and have to reget them

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

samurai black

thats kinda depressing, since some games wont let you copy saves.

*STARES HATEFULLY AT BAYONETTA AND SF4*

Skullator

Sony included in one of the most recent firmware updates a settings transfer option, which is basically taking all the contents from one HHD, then transferring them to another PS3's HDD via network cable. This includes all your private game saves (SFIV etc), user info, DLC etc.

Only down side is you need two ps3's to do it, and it removes all stuff from initial HDD so you can't clone data, only move it.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Lol, no stealing paid DLC then :(
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

Can't you first backup/ clone your original HDD then transfer to your new HDD and after that get your clone and transfer it back to the original? its the MOVING that is the hard part since they all have unique encryption so I beleive this might work.. might need to try lol.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: zosla on March 16, 2010, 09:03:39 AM
Can't you first backup/ clone your original HDD then transfer to your new HDD and after that get your clone and transfer it back to the original? its the MOVING that is the hard part since they all have unique encryption so I beleive this might work.. might need to try lol.

Like richard said, some games dont let you copy saves, so if you try this, you end up losing shit.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

Can you just switch between HDDzzzz with no problem?
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

CptMunta

Quote from: The Lenny 2.0 on March 15, 2010, 03:43:05 PM
You can swapt the HDD, it is pretty easy I have done it for a cousin, but you lose heasp of your info.  You can backup your saves to something else and move them to the new HDD, but you will lose all your games and have to reget them
Actually I swapped mine from an 40G to 160G and lost nothing.

I used the backup data utility and backed everything up to a External FAT32 HDD then installed all my game and save data to my PS3's new HDD Sweet as  8)

I was shocked I was expecting to have to start again and redownload all my PSN games. Maybe a new firmware feature.

Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

samurai black

okay, so it is possible to save that stuff. sounds good. now i just have to buy something substantial, this 40gb isnt cutting it anymore. stupid game installs, why cant devs be more like naughty dog and just have ish stream off the disc  >:(

CptMunta

Quote from: samurai black on March 17, 2010, 10:47:26 AM
okay, so it is possible to save that stuff. sounds good. now i just have to buy something substantial, this 40gb isnt cutting it anymore. stupid game installs, why cant devs be more like naughty dog and just have ish stream off the disc  >:(

this:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

and this helped:

http://www.remedialthoughts.com/2009/04/upgrading-ps3-hard-drive.html

It will take a few hours to backup and restore everything but it's worth it. Make sure you have a external drive that connects via USB with plenty of room and the external HDD is in FAT32 format.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta