• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Finally attacking my 15th anniversary stick

Started by moose!, April 28, 2010, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose!

Yeah... one of these

Finally going to mod it, it's been sitting around for a few years now gathering dust and I'm bored enough.

By all accounts it's meant to be fairly easy, I've been reading up on the number of threads on SRK about doing it, as per recommendation putting in HAPP parts (if possible) and shifting the buttons over and plugging the first two. I really don't want a baton top stick and to be honest know nothing about parts at all so any advice would be most appreciated.

A few questions-
Any recommendations on where to order the parts from cheaply?
What exactly should I be ordering to put into it (ie what parts and how many will I need)? What is a good adapter into PS3/PC (which is the desired end result I'm looking for here), and again, where can I order this?
Does anyone want to help me do it as I am a technological spastic?

Thanks in advance for the help!

fluxcore

Dude I have some happs parts I will happily part with.

Happ Super stick (the fully circular one, although I have fashioned a square gate for it... could use some tweaking though). It's a baton unfortunately.
Happ competition buttons x at least 6

TBH the buttons are awesome, but the stick... is american.

I'm guessing it's a PS2 stick (I can't really remember) in which case you want an INPIN ps2->ps3 converter http://www.etokki.com/iNPiN%20PS2%20to%20PS3%20Converter
But if you wanted to be the man you'd get the paewang revolution pcb for PS3/360/PC compatibility.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

lol.. I rip that stick of mien apart and relize it was a mission to mod with sanwa parts -.-
this is when I was still a noob :P wait i'm still one xD

anyways I think I'll do mien as well...
need to add pieces of wood to hold the sanwa stick and possibly enlarge the holes for the buttons as their sizes are not 30mm I think....
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

moose!

That sounds amazing Flux, how much scrilla would you want them for? See what you have and get back to me, I don't really care about replacing start buttons etc too much but might for completeness- though they're in a bit of a silly place on the box imo.
You don't happen to have a fistful of quick connectors/plugs (gaff?? haha) so that I can kill a couple of birds at once?
What do you mean about tweaking the square gate? In all honesty I don't even know what that even is what what it means...

I've been reading about changing the PCB but isn't this going to get ridiculasly expensive to do? There's a section in those SRK threads about hacking a xbox and PS controller and sticking them both inside to make it compatible over multiple platforms. Maybe one day...
Quotehttp://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3709/mc08so5.jpg

And Zosla: heres one modded with JP parts, they don't seem very common at all. http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=115479&p=5741958#post5741958

Edit: Might opt for changing the picture/plexiglass at some point instead of using plugs, moving the start/select buttons to the front at the same time.  ;D

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

moose!

Neither really, but I think it will be good to get used to and learn to adjust so I can play on a few different setups without my game being thrown out completely (like changing sides on the 3S machine at Yifans  >:()

fluxcore

Quote from: moose! on April 28, 2010, 02:08:06 PM
That sounds amazing Flux, how much scrilla would you want them for? See what you have and get back to me, I don't really care about replacing start buttons etc too much but might for completeness- though they're in a bit of a silly place on the box imo.
You don't happen to have a fistful of quick connectors/plugs (gaff?? haha) so that I can kill a couple of birds at once?
What do you mean about tweaking the square gate? In all honesty I don't even know what that even is what what it means...

In reverse order:

The stick itself is circle gate, meaning there are no defined corners. Awesome for grapplers, kinda nasty for other chars though. So I got a piece of lexan and hand made a gate which can be screwed onto the bottom, converting it into a square gate (ie each diagonal is defined). Problem is it's not perfect so the throw is a little different in some directions. Needs some filing or something to perfect it, basically.

The buttons and stick currently are attached with quick disconnects, but of course they are crimped onto wires already. Not sure if I have spares, but I can certainly throw in the current ones. I think they should plier apart reasonably ok (at least if I haven't soldered them in as well, hah hah!)

From what I recall I only bought 6 competition buttons, but I may have 7 of them (1 extra for start). In any case, I actually use an x-arcade button for the start because it's extremely stiff, whereas the competition button was super sensitive for a start button!

Not sure about price. I imagine shipping will be ~$10. Pretty sure they were about $70 all up when I bought them, so maybe $30 incl shipping?
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

moose!

Sounds good to me! Pm'ed!
Ahh the whole gate thing makes a lot more sense now.

So when I open this sucker up all the connecters have some kind of glue dabbed on all the joins, seeing I'm swapping all this out anyways should I just be ripping it off without remorse or is there a more careful way to do it?

moose!

Stick and button mod complete! Thanks to Fluxcore/Chuckk for any tech help/advice (putting up with me asking dumb questions) and Samurai Black for paint advice (which I was too lazy and impatient to fully follow through with).

Basically, all stick and button components have been switched out to Sanwa parts (JLF stick and snap in buttons)- as a result the box itself has had some significant dental work underneath it. It originally was a MDF box with art/perspex cover, but in light of a lack of equipment/me being cheap/not really caring too much about having art I've actually replaced the perspex cover with an MDF one. The new button arrangement is the same spacing of stick and buttons and button alignment to a Madcatz TE, the stick itself has even been shuffled over to accomodate seeing its actually quite a big case and I've actually moved the start/select buttons from the top of the console to the side/front.

Next on the to do list is to tidy up the top, maybe add a vinyl sticker and mod it for multiplatforms, but the PCB in these things is notoriously unco-operative (shit) so we'll see about that.
Considering I got the stick originally for i think $40, about $80 all up on this mod (plus adapter from xbox to usb to come as its more reliable than it's ps2 output) it hasn't necessarily been the cheapest but I'm pretty happy with it (dubious electrical practices and carpentry aside). I like that it weighs a shit tonne and it doesn't move at all when rage mash.

Here's some pics (and a bonus one of some records I bought this week, haha). Sorry about the photo quality, my house is a concrete bunker.

fluxcore

Pledge your allegiance!

Nice mod though dude, looks good. You get better with every stick you build too, so don't worry about the innards or whatnot too much. You can always fix it up another time, or put a new pcb in or whatever!

samurai black

paint job looks alright in those pics dude