• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Post-release Super Street Fighter 4

Started by fluxcore, May 20, 2010, 08:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

Quote from: electric on November 02, 2010, 08:50:15 PM
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad213/TECweaponX/5aidejds.jpg ??

Whatever the case, it's definitely a new character since Ono is the definition of "super troll" - unless there's something more conclusive than those images, I'm banking on Alex

How can he troll his own account? Lol. There's talk that it might be Urien. Looks kinda like his stance I guess.

But that doesn't sound the same as the inside word someone else got.

Skullator

Personally holding out for Fuerte ultra2 slight nerf, and Abel ultra 2 hiroshima'd.
Claw u2 wasn't really a concern haha.

I just don't like ultras which even remotely promote the idea of wake up ultras tbh.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

STUN. GUN. HEADBUTT.

Fuerte U2 needs a damage nerf. Abel U2 needs a damage nerf. Speed is retarded, but fine for what the ultras are supposed to do.

Vegas was quick, but the damage was average. I don't think they needed to do anything with it.

That being said, look at all the 'nerfs' that happened going from vanilla to super. I trust capcom are just adjusting things to keep it all in line with their other changes.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Lennysaurus

I also hate how hard those ultra's can be to punish as well.  Cause of the way the character shoots forward.

I think if you are gonna wakeup/random ultra someone and you miss, your characters should stand there for 8 hours waiting for your opponent to smash you.  Ditto for Akumas raging demon also.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Fair enough. Ultra's in essence reward stupid gameplay unfortunately.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

You just need to use more option selects.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

Honestly... I think people over react to how good Abels U2 is. Don't get me wrong... it's definitely a good ultra, but by no means is it OP or anything.

If you're getting spun around by Abel U2, you either aren't adapting to the situation properly when that purple bar starts flashing or you just don't understand how it works. I'll admit that there are some exceptions (a knocked down Dhalsim has 0 answers to meaty low short when U2 is stocked, besides wake up U1, which obviously loses to other stuff) but I think if this game had more than 6 months competitive play or whatever it is, then people would actually figure out it's not as good as it comes across to be.

TLDR; If Abel U2 doesn't change, no one should be crying except Lenny lol
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

The damage is frankly ridiculous, but the ultra itself isn't OP at all, no.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Skullator

Sorry Eru but..

An ultra which does
-Full damage
-Grab not a hit
-So fast it's caught my meaty wake up shorts etc
-Delayable, for an amazing headgame (Should I do this now..... or later? rofl)
-Pretty much full screen hitbox
-Cancellable so even if you do it to make somebody jump forward you can cancel into falling sky or whatever it's called.
-Like lenny said its a "New ultra" so it can be impossible to punish if you jumped forward to escape and they went under you
-Since it can be completely safe based on zoning you chose to pop it \ character you're playing, this shit comes out EVERY ROUND.

That's OP as fuck. Not that I'll cry about it ever, but I think you should prepare for at least some of that gdlk to go away lol.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Its just because its such an awesome punish for anything due to its speed that i think the damage needs a nerf. I think MOST of the hate it gets is just from people who dont know how to counter it. (ie. half the whiners on SRK)
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

Yup.

Also, there's a lot of salt over on the Vega forums on SRK... and quite justified I'd say :/

electric

Quote from: Skullator on November 03, 2010, 08:49:20 AM
Sorry Eru but..

An ultra which does

That's OP as fuck. Not that I'll cry about it ever, but I think you should prepare for at least some of that gdlk to go away lol.

I'll try address some of these points:

- Full damage
* It does 480 damage when it's fully charged. 350 when it's half charged... For a grappler, I honestly don't think this is so bad - especially considering it's a...

- Grab not a hit
* this means it can't be combo'd into because Abel doesn't have anything that combo's into Level 2 focus.

- So fast it's caught my meaty wake up shorts etc
* If you're doing meaty wake up shorts when Abel has U2 stocked, be prepared to go for a ride. Again, for you to be pressuring a grappler on wake up with a _maybe_ twice a round reversal, then you deserve to get spun.

- Delayable, for an amazing headgame (Should I do this now..... or later? rofl)
* A mix up character without much of a mix up ends up being Makoto lol

- Pretty much full screen hitbox
* Really, it's actually more like half screen - the range is less than his U1

- Cancellable so even if you do it to make somebody jump forward you can cancel into falling sky or whatever it's called.
* The cancel is vulnerable for 20 frames. If you can react to a forward jump, cancel, go through your recovery, THEN anti air with Falling Sky, then you deserve that shit. It's a gimmick at best, and if you're going to be jumping into an arc that would get caught by Falling Sky, you should have jumped backwards. The best use of the cancel would be to make someone jump backwards out of range, then cancel to reset the situation.

-Like lenny said its a "New ultra" so it can be impossible to punish if you jumped forward to escape and they went under you
* This I KIND of agree with... Abel has a grand total of 0 good escape options. With U2 he gets one - he needs this against Gief since every single option he has after being knocked down loses to meaty low short/cross up splash OS SPD, which is just a rinse/repeat until dead. EX roll loses to jump in OS throw. This is something EVERY character can do

-Since it can be completely safe based on zoning you chose to pop it \ character you're playing, this shit comes out EVERY ROUND.
* Then... deal with it every round.

I do see why people THINK it's amazing... but really, it's not even Abels best ultra. Take 50 points of damage off and that's really about the only practical change they can make - any adjustments to anything else would be removing its purpose, IMO

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Quote from: electric on November 03, 2010, 09:23:29 AM
I do see why people THINK it's amazing... but really, it's not even Abels best ultra. Take 50 points of damage off and that's really about the only practical change they can make - any adjustments to anything else would be removing its purpose, IMO

Bingo
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Skullator

All valid all fair, I wouldn't want to begin to get into what should be changed, or if it even SHOULD be changed, but remember
You just argued every single one of those points and attempted to justify all of those things, REGARDING ONE ULTRA ATTACK.

Tell me another character who's ultra even CAN do anything like that

And only 480 damage, that's FULL DAMAGE or close to it in super right? Similar to fully stocks Raging demon? 600 Damage was a vanilla thing. Thats also still over 50% of females 900 HP.

Not being able to combo into an ultra doesn't mean that the ultra is bad by the way lol.. you can combo into breathless by throwing it out whenever your opponent pushes a button (Just being an idiot but you get what I mean, if you dont combo into shit.. you dont deal with damage scaling, and with an ultra SO EASY TO LAND, comboing into it is not an issue?)
Compared to chuns new ultra, which is balanced. It does ZERO damage after any kind of extensive combo into legs (Again sarcasm, but it scales fairly for how free it is to land) and, it has ZERO invincibility frames, and can be traded with to cancel the full Kikosho from staying up due to it's 7 or so startup frames, and can be jumped over from point blank for 1500 punishable frames on whiff OR on block

It may sound like I'm bitching it out, but really I'm just attempting to make you realize that it probably is his best ultra (matchup specific though obviously ) and it is very good.
I'm a fireball character and I LOL HARD at abel ultra1. You wont ever land it flat against me, and I don't care when you combo into it very much because no matter what my first mistake was going to get me punished hard regardless, the scaled damage is just salt in the wound.

electric

Yep, one ultra attack. That means you only have to deal with ONE thing, which makes the guessing game a billion times easier.

Having a "best ultra" that's match up specific doesn't really make sense lol - that's like saying Roses best ultra is U1 if she only ever plays against Blanka.

Also, with U1 stocked, AA normal into 450 damage is nothing to scoff at.

I see exactly what you're trying to say, but I honestly think you're blowing things out of proportion. It's a good ultra - hell, I'd even call it a GREAT ultra. But does it break Abel as a character ? Does it suddenly turn him into ST Akuma or 3S Gill ? Hell no. All it does is shuts down unsafe offense - which every mid to top tier character can do anyway with their 3 frame normals hit confirmed into ultra, dp FADC ultra, instant 500 damage throw ultras and everything else under the sun.