• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

using spiffyshoes method for a dualshock pad hack

Started by rugdoctor, May 25, 2010, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rugdoctor

Doing this:

http://www.spiffyshoes.com/dualshockhack/

got a similar series M pad, with different pin outs BUT can not find the 26gauge solid core wire as suggested by the method, has anyone came across them before or any other creative ideas as a substitute to the wire?
All your sticks belong to me!

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

rugdoctor

OK, if I use my other dualshock and decide to use soldering technique. I will use the copper points for the direction + action + analog on/off buttons and just scratch off exposing the copper underside of just ONE of the red circle points and ground all signals there?

zos'la

you don't need to scratch anything off...
those copper points on teh diagrame are where you should soldier, ignore teh dualshock thingy you don need it.
All you need is start\select, 4 directionals and 6 buttons.

rugdoctor

2 questions:

1.) I plan to just snap off the rumble motors, is that ok?

2.) Where to ground the signals then on the pcb?

Barnstorm

Quote from: rugdoctor on May 25, 2010, 03:16:20 PM
2 questions:

1.) I plan to just snap off the rumble motors, is that ok?

2.) Where to ground the signals then on the pcb?

rumbles are fine to remove
but the analogs either dont remove or use 5v diodes to stop a direction constantly being pressed

zos'la

Quote from: Barnstorm on May 25, 2010, 11:19:13 PM
rumbles are fine to remove
but the analogs either dont remove or use 5v diodes to stop a direction constantly being pressed

correct, leave teh analogs...
On another note, you will need to scratch a point for your directional\ buttons as EARTH|Ground. I usually just use teh ones from the directional pad but eat singal's got a earth next to it so any of them are fine.

rugdoctor

Quote from: zosla on May 26, 2010, 08:29:19 AM
On another note, you will need to scratch a point for your directional\ buttons as EARTH|Ground. I usually just use teh ones from the directional pad but eat singal's got a earth next to it so any of them are fine.

so its common ground for all the buttons/directions, just scratch off one of the black spots for the direction button and ground everything there?

fluxcore

I take it you don't have a multimeter, because there will definitely be other more convenient (and more solid!) places to solder to on a common ground board.

For example there should be one where the main console cable attaches, probably a black wire. You can solder it to the back side where there is a solder blob holding the wire in.
Alternatively the shoulder buttons have a mini-pcb attached via wires, one of those must be a ground wire, so you can do the same thing there. Again, should be a black wire.

A multimeter will let you poke around to find all the grounds, then you can decide which is best to use. Very recommended when doing this kind of work. I would say vital.

HTH
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

rugdoctor

zos'la

if you look at R1\R2 or L1\L2 you will notice it leads to anothersmaller PCB.
Note there is a ribbon cable like that conects the main PCB to the smaller one.
And if you take notice even further at where teh rbbbon cable connects to the main PCB it should have 3 soldiering points. find the point that leads to teh outer rim of teh board (large green area) this is usually teh ground... that is fi you don't have an multimeter to test on, so you can soldier you ground\earth on this soldier point which will make it legitimate I guess.

Lennysaurus

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

fluxcore

Quote from: rugdoctor on May 26, 2010, 09:17:01 AM
which meter do you recommend?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.619 is the one I have, if you aren't familiar with dealextreme, the shipping is a flat 1 CENT worldwide, although it generally takes 3 weeks.

Otherwise, one of those little $10 red ones from DSE will suffice, you only really need the continuity tester. http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4bfc430c00ff12f82740c0a87f3b06c1/Product/View/Q1469
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

rugdoctor

Quote from: zosla on May 26, 2010, 09:26:03 AM
...teh rbbbon cable connects to the main PCB it should have 3 soldiering points. find the point that leads to teh outer rim of teh board (large green area) this is usually teh ground...

I presume its the lighter green area? Yeah, was thinking about that tab solder point last night as well, thanks for confirming my suspicion...so 2 of them will be for L1 and L2 and one of them will be for Ground/Earth.

Does it matter if I solder on the Tab pcb solder point instead of the main pcb for earth in that case? Since everything is common nonetheless??

zos'la

shouldn't matter, but good practice to do so on the main board.