• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Daigo Umehara interview Pt 3.

Started by CrazyMobius, June 03, 2010, 08:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

I think this is the best part of the Daigo Interview series so far:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/s-kill/blog/2010/06/01/daigo_umehara_answers_capcom_unitys_questions_%28part_3%29!  (note you need to copy and paste this link including the exclamation mark at the end.)

It's rare that you get to read such a deep interview from a Street Fighter player, much less from arguably the best player in the world.

Here is an excerpt from iplaywinner:

-Any story of SF player camaraderie to share?

When I was in my early teens, I didn’t really believe in friends â€" I will spare you from the story now. I was playing at an arcade in Akihabara and missed the last train of the day at Kanda station. For someone in their early teens, missing the last train is pretty bad you know. I called my parents, and sure, they were super mad and worried. I told my dad that I had missed my train and had no means to go home. He told me to take a cab; I told him I had no money. So we settled with me taking the first train (5 am or so) in the morning home. So I thought of killing time at a Denny’s till then. Suddenly, the guy I was with asked me “wanna get on?” pointing out the back of his bicycle. You know, it would take 3-4 hours from where we were to home.  I was like what are you talking about? It’s just way too far. On top of that, that person was usually blatant, not really friendly, and comment spiteful remarks, but we somehow got along and we hang out playing videogames. We got to my parent’s house after 3-4 hours of him pedaling, me on the back. He was soaked with sweat. As soon as I hopped off, he waved, turned around and left. Imagine, he had to rode back for hours again. That was then, I realized that what a good friend meant.

People care about themselves. They prioritize themselves over the others. I saw that when I was little and I hated it.  But gameplaying and winning the game was clear cut and straightforward.

Many of the serious gamers have certain complexes about themselves â€" let it be their looks, back ground, status etc. Some sort of scar or stigma. I know that as a person who had had those traumatic feelings. You don’t need to treat them overly sensitively because they too would be sensitive to that kind of treatment, but you should keep that in back of your mind. They may not be sociable or dislikes associating with the others. I was like that myself, so I like those who keep a lot of those feelings to themselves. I can relate to them and want to tell them “it’s ok, you don’t have to worry about those things.”  I’m not trivializing their feelings, but I want to tell them that there are much easier way to deal with it and live life.  It’s not like I have overcome those issues, but that I just came to think “so what.”  But I do totally understand their challenges.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

That particular story could very well have ended in rape. "Wanna get on?" is not really an offer i would personally accept from someone in that situation.

But yea, it was a good interview.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

zos'la

I really enjoy this part, first I thought i was the only one who had such experience. But of course Daigo seems much more wiser in many ways, I think I need to self evaluate such thoughts.

I played and played videgames in my teens. I lost myself in games. I felt guilty at the same time, feeling pressured from the social norms, but I could not stop playing it.  I struggled dealing with my passion and what was expected.

let me make it more clear.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Ah ok. I hereby retract my DOUBLE FACEPALM in favour of the slightly less impactive REGULAR FACEPALM

<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

maelgrim

Amusing that his most memorable tourny is when he got drunk :)
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

zos'la

Bill ur sick, fuckign hell lol.
I'll make ur you beg for mercy the next time we cross roads!! :)
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Here is a translation of one of TKD's blogs.

Its another insight into Daigo's personality, but also its got me hype for SBO. Daigo, TKD and Bonchan in a team? Fuck yes. I know who im rooting for. Rep that Fuerte.
<Smoof>
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Barnstorm

Quote from: ILL_BILL on June 04, 2010, 01:08:45 PM
Here is a translation of one of TKD's blogs.

Its another insight into Daigo's personality, but also its got me hype for SBO. Daigo, TKD and Bonchan in a team? Fuck yes. I know who im rooting for. Rep that Fuerte.
link?

Chuckk

Some of that Daigo interview is good shit.

Playing at the arcade definitely builds up a camradire between players, even in our small arcade community in Wellington you can see evidence of that.
It's probably the best aspect of playing in the arcade. I only wish we were fortunate enough here to have a community of at least 20-40 regular good players like they do over in Japan. Even if the auckland and wellington communites were combined as one arcade or console gathering community that would be awesome, but unfortunatly geography says fuck you.
RAP GAME MIKE MYERS

"It's only the 360 version that is late.  PS3 version will ship on time."

-Lenny