• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

MVC2 Etiquette for casual matches

Started by Ryan, June 13, 2007, 12:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samurai black

QuoteI just wanted to get out of MSP for a while and play some not-so-hardout teams.
thats one of the main reasons why i play low tier so often. its also why im still pretty crap with the better characters :( 

ioane and ben are pretty versatile with the lower tiers. and beating gods with low tier teams is always awesome.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

ben is god tier.....

i thought you would've figured that out by now
The New Generation Clockw0rk

Fate

(Adding my 2cents.. however, no marvel examples, sorry)
I pretty much detest ever giving away a round for instance to anyone, or having it done to me. The only time I EVER start mucking round, is when the person is on the verge of beating me up, and perfecting one guy one night caused him too round up his boys and wait outside the arcade for me for awhile.

Heh, hell. I've been called a prowhore before at the arcade, because I USE throws. I'll admit it, I'm pretty throw heavy, and hella annoying with them (especially when the karakusa mind games break out) My opponent, who before that was nicknamed "Angry Guy", actually WALKED AWAY from the machine. Yes. We all lol'd. He said like, "I don't play with prowhores" :(, so I had to get the last words in, and said, "Man, search David Sirlin, Playing To Win, read it, now".

Coddfish

Go play SF2, any version, with him. In fact, not any version, but rather any version that doesn't have throw-techs. Teach the sonofabitch to appreciate SF3's throws. Also, I hope he wasn't talking about karakusas, because bitching about that is like bitching about Chun-Li's poking and Dudley's Rose Traps. They're central parts of each characters game, and if you don't like that, go play SF1. Its the only TRULY balanced fighting game out there, because bother characters are identical except for colors.

And yeah. Rounding up the boys and waiting outside is a bit over the top.

Gino

Quote from: Fate on June 17, 2007, 09:01:39 AM
Heh, hell. I've ben called a prowhore before at the arcade, because I USE throws. I'll admit it, I'm pretty throw heavy, and hella annoying with them (especially when the karakusa mind games break out) My opponent, who before that was nicknamed "Angry Guy", actually WALKED AWAY from the machine. Yes. We all lol'd. He said like, "I don't play with prowhores" :(, so I had to get the last words in, and said, "Man, search David Sirlin, Playing To Win, read it, now".

Lol! We have people like that in hamilton. Throws are in the game! USE THE MOTHERFUCKER!

fluxcore

I just don't understand... why get pissed off at someone else for something that's YOUR problem? Back when I played 3s, whenever I got grabbed with karakusa, sure I'd be annoyed, but I'd be annoyed with MYSELF for falling for it.

Throws in SF2 aren't that bad, unless you're talking WW, in which tick throws are inescapable due to no reversals. Anything from CE onwards, if your timing is good (read: better than your opponents, or PERFECT), then you can reversal throw or use a special to get out. They are still really nasty though, and why not use them? It's not like it's a handicap, the opponent can do it too.

I have no problems offering tips to people on how to avoid things if they either ask or really seem to need help - I mean I WANT my opponents to get better. That includes dealing with whatever shit there is in the game, no questions (well, I will put one stipulation on that - I don't do stuff that's banned in tourneys. Except on SvC Chaos, because the only fun thing about that game is playing as Geese).

--flux

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Fate

Quote from: fluxcore on June 17, 2007, 11:23:12 AM
I just don't understand... why get pissed off at someone else for something that's YOUR problem? Back when I played 3s, whenever I got grabbed with karakusa, sure I'd be annoyed, but I'd be annoyed with MYSELF for falling for it.

Throws in SF2 aren't that bad, unless you're talking WW, in which tick throws are inescapable due to no reversals. Anything from CE onwards, if your timing is good (read: better than your opponents, or PERFECT), then you can reversal throw or use a special to get out. They are still really nasty though, and why not use them? It's not like it's a handicap, the opponent can do it too.

I have no problems offering tips to people on how to avoid things if they either ask or really seem to need help - I mean I WANT my opponents to get better. That includes dealing with whatever shit there is in the game, no questions (well, I will put one stipulation on that - I don't do stuff that's banned in tourneys. Except on SvC Chaos, because the only fun thing about that game is playing as Geese).

--flux

Hell yes. I am VERY HAPPY to offer tips etc to players. And for that, I WILL throw a round away, to teach them something, show them the idea of kara throws etc. (for example)
And yeah, like, I think I Karakusa'd him, HP, HP Hayate then Karakusa'd straight away. Heh, easy to get away from etc, but totally abusable down here (for the most part). Snap, he didn't like that.
Or, knock him down, jump, parry the wake up SRK and throw/karakusa.. Hehe.

But yeah, sorry for derailing this from MvC2. But if I was too play that here, I would just abuse cable's AHVB all damn day long.
Lastly, heh, why do people assume throws to be so cheap? Sure, block doesen't beat it, but GENERALLY, jab or short does..
It's all one giant game of rock paper scissors with pretty colours and cool characters.

samurai black

QuoteAnd yeah. Rounding up the boys and waiting outside is a bit over the top.

thats hilarious.

Ryan

Ok then, I guess from everyone's response, there's basically no such thing as "etiquette" as far as fighting games are concerned.  It's good to see what everyone else thinks  :)
fighting game noob

fluxcore

Well, I would say there's an etiquette, but it's more about giving your best and expecting the opponent's best in return - and a mutual desire to get better & help others get better. That's at least my version.

--flux
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Fate

Agreein' with flux here.
The most important part, whether you throw two characters or just beast, is help the other player, teach them some new things. If they are willing to learn, and keep playing, they will put another credit in, listen to what you have to say, and apply it.

Aaaand, you will feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

[NIUE] Optimus DAVE

I think everyone just has their own etiquette in which they go by.

I think it best to just accept this and using our own etiquette, we just have fun and keep the peace....lol, no waiting outside afterwards with boys, thats just queer....waiting outside with hot chicks however....

and the throw debate is quite an old one......just do what you feel, people are gonna whine about something anyways.....

enough from me, back to cl0ckw0rking it..........TELEPORT
The New Generation Clockw0rk

kingpiccolo

Can someone open me a portal back to azeroth i seem to have found my way back into the real world......

Fate

Quote from: kingpiccolo on June 19, 2007, 03:58:52 PM
Can someone open me a portal back to azeroth i seem to have found my way back into the real world......

2g plx

kingpiccolo

Quote from: Fate on June 19, 2007, 10:06:36 PM
Quote from: kingpiccolo on June 19, 2007, 03:58:52 PM

2g plx

its ok my harth has cooled