• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

NZism Super Street Fighter IV 3v3 Team Tournament! Saturday the 26th of June!

Started by Lennysaurus, June 05, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stereomonkey

I would walk as that is how I commute around already but Auckland seems a bit far yo.
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

xpunch

Quote from: stereomonkey on June 16, 2010, 03:50:14 PM
Oh bolo.  Hmmm, lets see if I can twist Gino's arm to going up (if his car is not still totally fucked).

Damn I need to get a car :-\

ask birry wong if you could catch a ride up on his slong.

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

seeing as alan isnt coming anymore and team old white people is no more , i have followed my stomach to team K DIZZLE !!!

me , ben , smoof

DA DAMAGERZZZZZZZZ !!!!!!!!!!!!
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

cha

Quote from: fluxcore on June 16, 2010, 03:22:31 PM
~skip~

I don't think "I've seen" or "many people have seen" such such is a point anyway,
what I said in the first post was merely "I want it" as a vote and I have
that preference because "that's all I've seen".
You got that reality construct that seeing a lot of matches matters, so you would think
that when I said "that's all I've seen" I was trying to make a point. That's why you're
not trying to talk about the pros and cons.

If you say I don't take constructive criticism well, I'm not here to take personal criticism
and I'm not gonna proof read my forum post so I won't be attacked, surprise.

BTW, I've seen some high level team play of Japan inter-state tournament, Korea vs Japan etc,
and they use winners stay on. These are the quality tournaments I was talking about.
Do I think that matters? No. I think its ridiculous the same way as saying a lot of tournaments
were done this way matters.

Do you see me yelling its all i've seen or those japs are doing it this way too as arguments when
electric was actually addressing the point?

I think its all good if you say no, because of this and that, or even just plain no,
of course it depends on what majority of the people think, but it doesn't deny you
the right to say "no, i don't like it" as a vote without being attacked.

But if you're trying to ask me to broaden my horizons, I'd say no,
and I'd suggest you to learn some social norm and manner.

cha

Some final comments about this.
Since its not the reason for me to reply here anyway, I don't really have a strong agenda,
i think its a waste of time, i'm getting sick of it, i think its just a fucking game and i'm done
elaborating my point of view already.

To my understanding, you are doing this attack the messenger thing instead of critically
evaluating both ways because you haven't  fully convinced yourself into believing what is
coming out from you keyboard yet.

Otherwise, the sole reason for you to put on that first comment was to attack me,
which is all good, you got your own keyboard and network, how to use them is entirely
your freedom.
But its off-topic. =D

Cheers

fluxcore

Cool, you're starting to actually put down some vague reasons why you think it should be winner stays on. Good job.

For those that can't read between the lines:

I am not organising this tournament in any sense.
I am not competing in this tournament.
I have not even put forth my own opinion on the format.

All I want is to see some actual reasoning behind some of these 'suggestions'. All too often I see on this forum people basically saying "yo I'm better than most people so take my random opinion into account no matter how little reasoning is behind it" and I don't like that.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Cr8zyK1LL3r

yo I'm better than most people so take my random opinion into account no matter how little reasoning is behind it. ^_^

Btw, I vote for winner stay on. And I want to change team, not staying with Kevin coz I wanna vs him instead of teaming up with him. end.

fluxcore

lol

But really, WHY do you guys want winner stays on? Do you not want people to play?

Because the other way actually makes all three team members play during each set at least once.

Winner stays on doesn't help people get better because they don't even get to play sometimes!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

Since everyone is casting their votes. I don't entirely understand the rule that you need to pick the same character throughout the whole tournament. I can understand team to team having to stick to one character but even with the National Tournament you can change character depending on who you fight.

What was the reason behind this one?

Cr8zyK1LL3r

IMO, player with "less chance of winning" will play first and the better player will save for the last.

This is commonly see in many tournaments (From my exp, Example: Daigo 3 v 3 in Japan and Daigo played last) coz the better player can observe the style of the opponents while their teammate plays. AND if the best player in the team play first and for some random reasons that player loses, then it will put a huge mental effect on the rest members of that team coz now they realise they have even lower chance of coming back.

SO LOGICALLY, everyone still get a chance to play UNLESS you team up with KEVIN x 2 and you are the last player. THEN my question is: why would you wanna be in that team to begin with? AND IF your answer is you just want to win THEN you've made a wise decision. Just sit back and enjoy the show and claim the prize.

Also, Like Cody has already stated. When it comes to the next match, the order of the team can be rearranged so weaker player in the team can also have the chance to play if they insist. And knowing the community, I don't see anyone here would stand up and say: "Please lemme go first coz i wanna OCV them"

This is just my point of view. I'm only a player and I will be happy to join the tournament No matter what the rule is. Because that's the least i can do to support the community. So if the organizers don't like it, that's fine !! "Please don't attack me as i'm very weak at defense, I can only rush down"

cheers, ^_^

fluxcore

The 'anchor' (aka last player) can still watch the other people play in either method.
If they go first and still lose to the first person, it has the exact same effect as in winner stays on.

The difference is that you get to see all the 'same strength' matches, regardless of however else things play out, which is surely a good thing?

electric

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 08:30:39 AMSO LOGICALLY, everyone still get a chance to play UNLESS you team up with KEVIN x 2 and you are the last player.

I don't necessarily think this is true either.

With the way it's currently being played, each team member is GUARANTEED to play once, as well as observe at some point, whether it be before their game (if you're playing second or last) or after their game (if you're up first)

With winner stays on, none of that is GUARANTEED. Despite what anyone thinks, there will be disparities in each teams skill levels. Putting your "weakest player first" still doesn't mean everyone gets a turn, because Team A's "weakest player" could still be better than the entire of Team B's players. What does this do for Team B ? It ensures they all 3 of them ONLY get to play and observe against 1 character, whereas with the other way, you're guaranteed to see at least 3 different match ups. How many people know what the Juri vs. Ibuki match up looks like ? I doubt very many people know.

It's not that winner stays on is a bad idea, it's just that I don't think it's the right fit for OUR community. If we had a much larger player base, where learning match ups wasn't as big a focus, I'd probably lean more towards Winner stays on.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and anyone here is welcome to debate it :)
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

[8-----D] Toots

I prefer winner stays on but its not the best format for a tournament that isn't full of top players like a Japanese tournament (SBO)

I think thats one of the issues. The top players in our scene want a very competitive atmosphere, where as others are saying hey the mikado style format is better for the community overall because everyone gets a shot. Either format is competitive but winner stays on allows for more beast like moments   :P

If the mikado format is used I think its a good idea that the team order is picked before each match.

Quote from: CrazyMobius on June 17, 2010, 08:26:35 AM
Since everyone is casting their votes. I don't entirely understand the rule that you need to pick the same character throughout the whole tournament. I can understand team to team having to stick to one character but even with the National Tournament you can change character depending on who you fight.

What was the reason behind this one?

Its standard for teams to have to stick with the same characters for the whole tournament. I don't think I've ever seen a tourney where teams were aloud to change characters. Stops teams from learn 2 characters each and being able to counter almost any team they go up against. Counter picking is a lot harder in a singles tournament

fluxcore

The only downside I see to Mikado format is you can't have OCVs, but I think that's greatly offset by the fact that all team members get to play, no-one is just sitting around waiting for any large period of time.

I definitely don't see that one is more competitive than the other.