• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

NZism Super Street Fighter IV 3v3 Team Tournament! Saturday the 26th of June!

Started by Lennysaurus, June 05, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electric

Quote from: zosla on June 17, 2010, 01:20:59 PM
Note, this is no way being rude.

but if the quake example is true... that person is a no brainer. I too play high lv fps games before and I mean atleast top 3 in NZ for CS. If you can't even learn to understand the game after dieing that many times then u're pretty much should give up coz u're not putting any effort in teh first place to use some brain juice for the game.

Not to sound like I'm arguing here, and this isn't a personal attack, but I don't believe this at all. I agree with the point that Hue brought up - if you want to get better, you have to play better people - that's cool. But just flat out saying someone who clearly doesn't understand the basics of the game should give up ? This is why you come across as arrogant to other people here.

If someone was in that situation, the answer doesn't come from getting beasted left, right and centre - it comes from learning why what they're doing is bad/disadvantageous. If all they see is "I tried to jump at this guy so I can do a combo, then I got ultra'd and died", it's easy for someone to take that situation and think "Oooh, ultra's do lots of damage. Great. Next time I get it, I'll just throw it out"

Not everyone thinks or learns the same way as you - this doesn't mean they're dumber or smarter than you either.

Back on topic: Neither format will affect the results of this tournament - It won't even do much to level up the better players in the scene, but as Flux pointed out - that's what casuals are for.
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Rorooze

Two respones, Andy first:

You probably haven't played quake, the differences are staggering. Let me explain:

1. CS is a team game. QW can be as well but typically I played 1v1. That instantly makes CS easier for newer people to learn.
2. CS is played in rounds and when you die you get to restart without being at a significant disadvantage.

I guess put it this way, imagine if when I killed you in CS, the next time you respawned you instantly got hit by a grenade or the second you spawn you got shot with AWP. You don't even get the chance to buy your gun, you just die 5 times in a row and on the sixth time you respawn you had time to run behind a box and buy a gun only slightly better than your pistol but in the process you got hit twice so you're screwed anyway. Now imagine that scenario, as a player, who is being completely outplayed in a game which you're not that great at, what would you do? Practise, of course. But to practise you want to play against someone better, not someone that is going to beat you 80-0.

Hue:

I'm not saying I haven't learnt anything about how to deal with wake up other than not to get knocked down, however against some of you guys it basically seems no matter what I try to do I lose out. I guess I should have illustrated my point further in the previous post, sometimes the skill gap between some players is so large that no-one gets anything out of the game.

In a street fighter sense, the noobie (me) can't learn, or even recognise all the "high-level" stuff until I've learnt the basics (what moves are punishable, which of my moves are unsafe, my combos, etc).

I'm not arguing that new people shouldn't play better people, I'm just saying making it so the best players in the country beast all over the noobs to 'make them learn' isn't really going to level up the community.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 11:45:57 AM
Might as well bring a pack of card there and play poker or blackjack to earn some money, would be more fun than a random select money match. lol

Random select is good because you don't get people acting all hype about their game. Because they may not be able to back up their talk.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: massi4h on June 17, 2010, 12:20:21 PM
No one beats me at random select. $20 first to 5?

Yeah I think that seems fair. Do you mean 5 rounds or 5 matches? If it's random select there should at least be more than one character pick to make it somewhat fair.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: electric on June 17, 2010, 01:40:17 PM
Not everyone thinks or learns the same way as you - this doesn't mean they're dumber or smarter than you either.
That's absolutely correct.
Slower learner doesn't necessary mean that he's dumber than you irl. It simply means they've taken a wrong direction in learning the game. And if they still haven't improved after a couple of months, that means they just keep blindly walking on the wrong direction.

It's true that you don't need to think exactly like someone to become as good as them. However, I believe most of the top players will walk on the same direction. The real key here is finding "the door". After opening that door, you can choose whichever style you wanna be.

But at this moment, many people still haven't walked through that door and they think they are ready to develop their own style. That's why they've been spending days and months practicing hard out but still cannot defeat better players who barely have any practices. I tell you, it's not gifted nor unfair. It's simply because the better players have already walked pass that door and searching for their style. While the weaker players are walking in all directions trying to improve and not realizing that the first thing they need to do is simply finding the door.

Now back to the main point, you don't need to walk on the same path with us but at least, walk on the same direction with us so you can see the door and open it.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

HoneyBadger

Quote from: CrazyMobius on June 17, 2010, 02:10:25 PM
Random select is good because you don't get people acting all hype about their game. Because they may not be able to back up their talk.

Random select is gay because you can get a shitty 8:2 matchup or something and lost just because it's uneven.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

electric

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 02:14:55 PM
But at this moment, many people still haven't walked through that door and they think they are ready to develop their own style. That's why they've been spending days and months practicing hard out but still cannot defeat better players who barely have any practices. I tell you, it's not gifted nor unfair. It's simply because the better players have already walked pass that door and searching for their style. While the weaker players are walking in all directions trying to improve and not realizing that the first thing they need to do is simply finding the door.

IMO, this one paragraph clears up everything. Well written Hue.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: Rorooze on June 17, 2010, 01:57:10 PM
Hue:

I'm not saying I haven't learnt anything about how to deal with wake up other than not to get knocked down, however against some of you guys it basically seems no matter what I try to do I lose out. I guess I should have illustrated my point further in the previous post, sometimes the skill gap between some players is so large that no-one gets anything out of the game.

In a street fighter sense, the noobie (me) can't learn, or even recognise all the "high-level" stuff until I've learnt the basics (what moves are punishable, which of my moves are unsafe, my combos, etc).

I'm not arguing that new people shouldn't play better people, I'm just saying making it so the best players in the country beast all over the noobs to 'make them learn' isn't really going to level up the community.

So you are saying if we play against an extremely good player who skill is far beyond our skill. we won't be able to learn anything? Is it true? Is it because of the skill gap different that limits our learning? Or is it because of the way we think that cannot help us move any further?

That's fine. I'm still voting for President A and you are voting for President B. Simply because we look at them differently which is an absolute normal thing in life. This world would be as boring as hell if everyone think the same and do the same thing.

edited: "until I've learnt the basics" How long have you been playing the game? the basics mean something very basic that most people will learn in a week or 2 or a month at last. This is not a personal attack, it's a personal advice for you mate. If you've spent more than a month and still working on the basic. Then maybe you should stop playing for a while and think what have you been doing wrong all these time instead of keep going for it. Time to turn back and try another direction.

samurai black

someone locked the door and i lost my key.

is that when i break in through the window?

electric

Quote from: samurai black on June 17, 2010, 02:30:35 PM

Nah, that's when someone yells out the window "You weren't invited Richard, we're calling the cops"

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: samurai black on June 17, 2010, 02:30:35 PM

that's when you call someone from the other side to open the door for you. At least you could locate where the door is, knock on it. lol

fluxcore

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 02:41:04 PM
that's when you call someone from the other side to open the door for you. At least you could locate where the door is, knock on it. lol

This is what I'm talking about. This is NOT going to happen during a tournament, only during casuals with the top players, and only if the 'people on the other side of the door' actually help them find the handle or whatever.

I sincerely believe that most people who will play in a tournament against someone who completely outclasses them will NOT learn anything useful. The people that do don't need the door in the first place, they've thrown a rope and climbed the wall instead
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: fluxcore on June 17, 2010, 02:48:38 PM
This is what I'm talking about. This is NOT going to happen during a tournament, only during casuals with the top players, and only if the 'people on the other side of the door' actually help them find the handle or whatever.

I sincerely believe that most people who will play in a tournament against someone who completely outclasses them will NOT learn anything useful. The people that do don't need the door in the first place, they've thrown a rope and climbed the wall instead
I will say at least 50% of the participant will learn something from playing against stronger players. And in that 50%, there will be an 80% chance of someone pick up something useful that might even change their normal style after the match. On the other hand, you will have 80% of the players that play at their "same level". and I highly doubt that even 50% of them will pick up something useful from those matches.

So again. Back to the original point whether you want to make this community STRONGER or HAPPIER. If you wanna get Stronger, get ready to go through a dark period without seeing Happiness until you find the door. And If you wanna be Happy, hmm...... i guess just do whatever you feel comfortable with.

People might think that i'm just being selfish, believe me i'm not. I'm just trying to help us getting closer to that door. edited here ^_^