• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

NZism Super Street Fighter IV 3v3 Team Tournament! Saturday the 26th of June!

Started by Lennysaurus, June 05, 2010, 02:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorooze

Quote from: Cr8zyK1LL3r on June 17, 2010, 02:30:17 PM
So you are saying if we play against an extremely good player who skill is far beyond our skill. we won't be able to learn anything? Is it true? Is it because of the skill gap different that limits our learning? Or is it because of the way we think that cannot help us move any further?

That's fine. I'm still voting for President A and you are voting for President B. Simply because we look at them differently which is an absolute normal thing in life. This world would be as boring as hell if everyone think the same and do the same thing.

No. I'm saying if someone relatively new to the game plays someone very good at the game then they probably won't learn anything.

Once that new player learns the basics of the different characters and match ups, becomes familiar with basic strategies and comfortable with the controls and has played a few games against people that don't completely and utterly tear him apart, then he will start to appreciate some of the higher level stuff and learn from the playing the very good players.

For instance: Jack beasts me with Akuma, he finds it boring and I don't even really know what happened. No one gets much out of it. Obviously if I play 100 sets against Jack I'll probably learn a few things but Jack isn't going to play me 100 sets in a row. And you don't play 100 sets in a tournament, you play once and get knocked out.

Now lets say Daigo beasts Jack, Daigo shows no emotion but because Jack is familiar with the game and is quite experienced, he can actually see what he did wrong and how he could improve.

It's quite clear we're not going to see eye to eye, probably because you're at the top and I'm at the bottom. Either way, smashing noobs won't grow the community. If you really wanted to help level up the community like you say you'd enter the team tournament with a noob and let them play first in the team every match instead of making a beast team with Andy, Jack, Fong, Simon, Kevin, Cody etc. Not that I care if you make a beast team, I know when I played FPS seriously probably 90% of the competitions I played in we played with the best team we could form.

massi4h

Quake is all about map control. You gotta learn the spawn timings etc, and usually when you get a kill in a fast paced fps you can grab all the main things on the map and it's hard for them to get back into it. Imagine grabbing the rocket, mega health and lightning constantly, what can they do when they spawn with a machine gun.

Come to xlan rory and play me at 100 sets. Me and Euan woulda had at least 100 last year lol.

And yeah Hue I'll take you on your money match. Sounds like fun.

fluxcore

It's worse than that mason, a couple of the quakes don't even have randomised/seeded spawns, so the best players just spam nades and rockets at the spawns they KNOW you are spawning at.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Cr8zyK1LL3r

I've already said what i need to say from my previous posts. If you don't take it, that's fine. Just my 2c mate.

On a side note, if you haven't seen my previous posts. I've already said that i'm leaving Kevin team coz i want to play against him rather than teaming up with him. It's more challenge and fun at the same time. And he doesn't always play seriously at the arcade anyway. Nobody does. Why do you think we always laugh after every matches at the arcade. And in tournament, it's more like: "Damn, I shouldn't have done that. It was pretty stupid" <--- *HINT*

But well, I guess nobody like our idea...... so it's all good. Just stick with whatever format it is and we will be there to join the fun.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

Quote from: fluxcore on June 17, 2010, 04:20:05 PM
It's worse than that mason, a couple of the quakes don't even have randomised/seeded spawns, so the best players just spam nades and rockets at the spawns they KNOW you are spawning at.
So basically it's like SSF4 where you score a round, and the next round the loser starts with 1hp on a waking up situation. And the winner just stand right in front of his face?

Cr8zyK1LL3r

hehe..... the strenx guy in that video sounds like me. Except that he became the second best player in a tournament and he has a reason for his aggressive style. I don't have/need one. I always think i'm playing MVC2 while playing SF4 :D

JackSmash

Everyone has their own views and opinions on what is a "good" way to level up. Here is mine.

TBO I don't think that getting stomped by someone who is in another class will help very much in improving your game. I'm not saying that it wont, you may pick up some things here and there like "Oh so thats how you get out of that mixup." But progression may be minimal.

On the other hand, if you play people who are on a similar level to your own and regularly train with them, i think that you will level up much faster. They don't have to be exactly your level, a little bit better/lower. This way you both have a roughly even chance of beating each other and during this process, it will make you focus really hard. You are forced to up your mindgames, execution and adaptation skills quickly. But at the same time, you know in your head that you are nearly even with your opponent which also gives you confidence in knowing that you are able to win.

When me and my brother first came to NZism we were total noobs scrubbing it out on pads. But being brothers, living together and all, we got heaps of time to play with each other and we were both pretty much even. We just practiced a lot and I set goals for myself. To be able to go toe to toe with the players I looked up to. (aka Hue) And now I make another goal which is to be able to match Kevin.

Well theres my 2cents. Sorry for going off topic :(

fluxcore

I imagine that's how the Wolfe brothers became SF2 beasts, yeah.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

aren't u suppose to be studying Hue?....
go study!!!

I think I have enuff of this kind of discussion, too hard to make people learn.
can't be bothered, got mroe important thigns to do than sit here and explain pages.
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

fluxcore

cha

OK, that's the considerations...
I think I'm not arrogant enuf to consider myself a good player lol

Actually when I was thinking about this matter all I had in mind was
something like Kevin, Hue and Mike team.
I mean, if its winner stays on you still have a chance albeit slim,
otherwise its pretty hard to find a team with a guy who has a chance
to beat Kevin and ANOTHER guy having a chance to beat Hue or Mike.
And when you have that team, it sucks more to be in any other teams =/

I think i'm skewed towards it, other than the freedom of strategy I talked about,
is also because I was a CS player,
it feels great when you're the one saving the team or one of your
teammate did well that instance and saved the team.

While on the other hand if its done the other way, if two of your
teammates lost the first two, it sucks to be the last one.

I think it's something like sports vs military which is last soldier
standing that counts lol

Anyway regardless of the outcome I'm gonna join with Myron the Guile guy,
we're gonna find one more guy otherwise we're gonna  pair up with anyone
without a team yet on that day.

CrazyMobius

Quote from: OLEET on June 17, 2010, 02:23:14 PM
Random select is gay because you can get a shitty 8:2 matchup or something and lost just because it's uneven.

That's exactly why it's suitable for a money match. Now enough of this trivial stuff, I'm off to read through this thread about this door business.

massi4h

So wait am I doing random select vs Crazy or Hue lol? I mean first to 5, so 5 character picks.