• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

I'm tagging out people!!!!

Started by Lennysaurus, June 19, 2010, 04:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

I'm tagging out people!!!

So I'm giving the community a bit of warning in advance.  At the moment I am basically running the ranbats, and have taken a pretty hands on approach to getting our nationals going.  I am currently fine with that, however my circumstances are about to change.

Very soon I will be starting full time study at unversity and a new job.  As such, I will no longer have enough time to organise anything.

So to cut to the chase.  It's someone elses turn!  I don't want to sound like I think the sun comes out my arse, and that I'm the saviour of the NZ SF community, but I am worried that with no-one else picking up the "admin" reigns, that we are gonna lose alot of steam, and alas, with few or no events, our beloved community will peter out.

So discuss it people!  Anyone else wanna have a crack?  Maybe we can take in turns or something?  BTW this isn't a thread for you to have a whinge or a stab at each other.  Just some grown up discussion about how we can keep this good thing going.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Taking turns is probably not a bad plan. Realistically, everyone has shit to do, so doing it all by your lonesome is a pretty big ask at any rate, and youve done a pretty amazing job really.

I wish my work pattern was set in stone so that i could do this with any kind of reliability, but i will quite happily jump in on some turn based admin action where i can. Obviously some weeks im not going to be able to make ranbats, and other weeks im not going to get there until like, 6:30.

Maybe it needs to be a bit more 'commitee' based. A group of people doing whatever admin stuff they can, so that when an event rolls around, you have a few people that can potentially take charge in the absence of others. Ranbats in Auckland alone are growing pretty well, and as the community gets bigger (which it certainly is doing atm. Were seeing loads of new faces) we should probably start looking at growing the admin side of things too.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

HoneyBadger

Yeah, shoutouts to Lenny for getting this shit done for as long and as well as he has. I agree with Bill that it would be better to have like a committee for this shit, even if it's just one that represents the shit that we've got going on in Auckland. While I'm not good at organizing events, I could definitely at least help out with the admin shit we have to do during ranbats and tourneys. But yeah +1 for having a group of people to help do shit for Auckland since solo organizing for the Auckland specific shit is a big task to solo.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

CptMunta

Man, I'd be keen to help out, but I don't think I'll be moving up north anytime soon. Shame you have to tag out bro being such pillar of the community. But real life is definitely more important, all the best with studying and the new job. What are studying btw?

Maybe something like regular discussions on irc or vent might help kick this committee idea off.  We meet up on Vent every one or two weeks and discuss ideas and who can help out with what. I'd be keen to contribute ideas and stuff if that's okay but being down in CHCH I can't really all that much actual hands on work.

The downside to a committees (outside of personality clashes) is there's always the danger off all talk no action when it's more than one person. Or worse the person that sets it up ends up doing all the work anyways as people drop off or lose interest.

I think it's best to use the strengths and interests of the group to allocate who does what. We have plenty of talented folk on these forums already doing so much for the scene. It's just a case of more players not just being active in the scene, but involved as well. I'm sure among us there are plenty of people with the skill to run brackets, chat to sponsors and keep things going :)
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

Rorooze

First off shot Lenny for organising heaps of stuff this year, it's been quite enjoyable! I know it's pretty hard to juggle a part time job with a full time degree and obviously you're gonna want to keep playing as well!

I'm happy to lend a hand in running stuff on the day of an event if needed but can't do too much outside of that. We've sorted the lag testing problems so hopefully we don't need to do that again D:

Provided the community keeps a good relationship with GIGA organising events shouldn't take too much time because the venue and monitors etc would be easily organised. Then it's just a matter of advertising the events and running them on the day. I'm probably making it sound quite easy but Lenny's done the hard yards and built the foundation to make things easier to organise in the future so whoever takes over could take advantage of that!