• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

CRT question

Started by zos'la, June 30, 2010, 10:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zos'la

a CRT with 2 AV port and 3 AV port any differet>?? was thinking of picking one up for my PS3...
Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

electric

Quote from: zosla on June 30, 2010, 10:15:59 AM
a CRT with 2 AV port and 3 AV port any differet>?? was thinking of picking one up for my PS3...

You mean a white and yellow port as opposed to a white, yellow and red port ?

The 2 port will have mono audio (this is what mine has) where as the 3 port will have stereo audio - not a big deal at all if you're just playing Street Fighter, as all the in game sound is still there, but if you're going to be using it for watching TV or something, stereo audio is better!
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

FearlessNewbie

if you want a CRT for PS3 then a HD ready CRT TV is the best option, nomally will have componet RGB (red green blue for video) input which allow up to 1080i display, way better than composite AV input (single yellow plug for video).
A Newbie but Fearless!

electric

Quote from: FearlessNewbie on June 30, 2010, 10:53:46 AM
if you want a CRT for PS3 then a HD ready CRT TV is the best option, nomally will have componet RGB (red green blue for video) input which allow up to 1080i display, way better than composite AV input (single yellow plug for video).

I've heard they have similar input lag issues to normal LCD monitors though, so your mileage may vary... To be safe, the dirty old $1 no reserve ones on trade me are your best bet

fluxcore

Yeah I wouldn't trust an HD CRT any more than an HD LCD - it's the HD processing which causes the problems, nothing intrinsically inherent to LCD.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

electric

If anyone is looking to buy a cheap and nasty CRT, your best bet would be to hit up Trade Me

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/categorylistings.aspx?mcat=0124-0060-2261-&sort_order=price_asc

FearlessNewbie

Quote from: electric on June 30, 2010, 11:10:57 AM
I've heard they have similar input lag issues to normal LCD monitors though, so your mileage may vary... To be safe, the dirty old $1 no reserve ones on trade me are your best bet

Well I definitely can't stand the poor display quality of composite AV from a PS3 or even the 576i component input on normal CRT TV. I don't think you can get CRT monitor(not TV) that has component input which can display 1280x720 or even 1920x1080 with blackboarder in New Zealand, they are the best and hard to find even in China, that's why I said go for a HD crt TV which still does pop up on trademe from time to time, there were decent hd crt out there and bad ones like Samsung's.

A Newbie but Fearless!

[8-----D] Toots

I'd probably go for a 21inch crt if I was buying another one.

My 14 inch is just a bit too small and the 26inch is big and bulky as fuck. Also I would buy something that isnt to old over the brand name. Older crt's tend to have a pretty dull picture

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Standard/CRT/21-53cm-and-under/auction-300185107.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/TVs/Standard/CRT/21-53cm-and-under/auction-299699689.htm

That shit looks good

zos'la

does the wide screen make any difference? im talking about the flat screen wide screen CRT?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=300286385

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

The one in that trademe link isnt wide screen.

But no, afaik wide screen shouldnt make any difference, however, as i know very little about all this, you should probably wait for someone else to answer. :P
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

fluxcore

No idea, as I say over and over - you can never actually know until you've tested it out!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

just to be sure,
I want a FLAT wide screen CRT, would this be good for SF? I really dun want junk in my house
if its not good ><

Lennysaurus

You cant be sure man.

You just have to test this shit out.  Generally a regular old CRT wont lag, but the problem you might have is a fucked up screen resolution.

Test it first.  Otherwise you might be buying a dud.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

zos'la

fucking lame LOL.
why do u guys make my life so hard cao.... :(

rugdoctor

All your sticks belong to me!