• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Your fighting game experience?

Started by MistaTCR, July 03, 2010, 11:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MistaTCR

Hi all. I hardly post here but I just wanted your views on fighting games.
I've been playing fighting games since 5 y/old whenever I could get a hold of it. My favourite gaming genre not because of the winning but every match played you learn something from how you play.

How long have you guys been playing fighting games for and what draws you to it?

wong

I started playing tekken 6 December last year mainly because CS 1.6 was dying and didn't really have a scene except for the 2 months before xlan.
Then somewhere between march and april this year i came across one of daigos sf4 matches on the net and started playing sf4.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

To put it short, i mainly just play them cos there competitive games. I love games, any games. But when it comes to fighting games you can have fun and also impress people with the shit you can do.

Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

maelgrim

Since 'Way of the exploding fist' on my ZX spectrum back in 85.
As to why - fighting games give me a real sense of achievement & actually make me want to come back for more (win or lose).
I feel like I am always getting better (though very slowly).
Other games, once finished just go back in the cupboard.

Though I admit being 36 with a family & mortage gives me little time to play these days. I am usually crushed by today's youngsters but I still appreciate high level play even though I can't emulate it.

I guess its why my Fav fighter is currently BB - as the rich story & characters allow me to enjoy at my own pace.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Barnstorm

I remember when my friend had Mortal Kombat when i was 8 i thought that was the most awesome shit ever I also loved going to arcades but could never afford to play
I was given amiga when i was about 10 with MK2 and SF world warrior played them a lot and really loved playing against mates but none of us were really any good but fighting games sort of died off for me after that.

Me and my brother in-law used to play heaps of tekken 3 on the playstation and when i got TTT we played the shit out of that probably the most played game ever for me.

We thought we were pretty good so that was when we started goin to arcades and to be honest we did pretty well

And there is nothing like the feeling of playing at an arcade I still remember how nervous i would get when i first put that coin in
its also funny when trash talk is quickly shut down after u rape someone

Plus Ive made heaps of friends playing arcade games its such a social part to it and console just can't recreate it

MistaTCR

I remember when fighting games were kinda off the radar. Especially before Street Fighter 4 existed, everyone was playing FPS. I'm not bashing FPS, love the genre but EVERYONE was playing it. The games available were KOF 11 (Still a good game but SNK bombed on XII), Tekken 5, tried the Rumble Fish game. Me and a few friends played Tekken 5 but nothing serious.

The first time I ever played on the arcade ( I still remember there was a Marvel VS Capcom in Westfield shopping mall) I used to mash those sticks badly.

Also anyone who play with PS3 controllers, do you guys have a ring around your analog stick? I got mine from wear and tear from doing them 360's.

fluxcore

I stumbled onto this site and thought it looked awesome. Came along to an event and then was hooked!
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

CrazyMobius

I like the focus on the characters. In fighting games every character in the game has to be a star. I also like the abstract qualities fighting games possess. Depending on who you pick the whole idea of the game changes both in gameplay (usually) and story. There are multiple realities and time does not follow the usual order as it does in other game genres.

In some ways I think fighting games share a lot of things in common with puzzle games. Limited playing fields, set time limits and usually a one on one player structure.

I prefer 2D to 3D though as I like the simplicity and limitations that come with it.

Cr8zyK1LL3r

I started to play fighting game pretty late. The first arcade/fighting game I played was MVC2 8 years ago. So experience wise, I'd probably don't have as much as many other players.
Now for the reason I played fighting game is pretty lame....... 8 years ago, when I first came to NZ, my viet friends took me to Yifans and introduced MVC2 to me and needless to say, they beasted me like no tomorrow coz that was my first time holding the stick. But within 3 days, I got a hang of it and started beating them back. After a week, I could do combo and linked into super consistently and they pretty much had no chance against me so they all stopped playing  :(. At that time, I felt like I could do better than that and I wanted to see my limit, so I've decided to play a bit more competitive and kept moving on till now.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

I reckon Tekken was more popular back when i played cos EVERYONE had it on there ps1/2. So everyone knew how to play it, and we had a Tekken 3 tournament at school which i cleaned up as well as our tony hawks 2 tourny. I dunno maybe SF was more popular at the arcades but not with console dudes i reckon.

FPS's ftw! Nah jk but it's alway nice to sit down grab a gat and blow some fuckers away once in a while. And with online that shit can get addictive as hell.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

cha

Still remember my brother used to bring a buncha frds home and play SFII together when it first came out on SNES, he forbid me play after 2-3 times coz I pwned everyone with dhalism slide... and he said its cheap, i think we had a fight becoz of it.

3D fighting? Back then when you buy the first ever 3dfx voodoo or powerVR it came with an awesome game called FX fighter.... I was like wow 3D when I first saw it (running on MS-DOS), used to play it a lot, awesome bgm, gameplay etc, i think its a piece of art.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gqdpPdkD8s

Arcade... Double Dragon, the fighting not the shooting one. SFIII, all I remember was ibuki roundhouse infinite. And of coz KOF series, addicted to it since kof 95...

The graphic has definitely improved a lot since then, but not much for game play imo.
Somehow I think the games i mentioned are still a lot more fun compared to a lot of fighting games i see in recent years.

RixJamez

I like them, because of the way you use your brain, its like chest thinking moves ahead but speaking through your fingers... Accuricey, Speed, Timing an Rythm... SF4
"DJ RKAYDE"

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

hyper fighting is the greatest game ever made .
probably gunna run a side tourny for it some time soon , had too much fun playing it again at xlan with all these randoms who wanted to put their 50c down for a challenge  8)

i know this has nothing to do with this topic but too bad  :D
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

originaljulz

Quote from: maelgrim on July 04, 2010, 09:40:26 AM
I guess its why my Fav fighter is currently BB - as the rich story & characters allow me to enjoy at my own pace.

I thought everyone just played SF in here.

This makes me happy.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

OWTLAW274

man i still remember going to the spacies after school and playing SF2 for .20¢ .. i kinda stopped playing fighting games in intermediate since non of my friends were into them and i always dominated at MvC on xbox (mod-chipped) .. wasnt till ps3 that i found others that were into fighting games that i started playing again