• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Lenny’s dos and don’ts for this years Fighting Game Nationals

Started by Lennysaurus, August 01, 2010, 05:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennysaurus

In only mere weeks the largest fighting game tournament ever to be held in New Zealand is about to commence, and most of you reading this are going become a part of it.  It’s been a hell of a ride leading up to it, and it’s going to be one hell of a weekend.

So in saying that I have decided to compile a few paragraphs of thing’s to be weary of to make every thing run a little smoother on the day.  Check these off and make sure you stick to them on the day for the sake of yourselves, but mostly to ensure the sanity of myself and other judges trying to run the event.

Firstly, use some smarts when doing your guys button checks.  I don’t know how many times I’ve stressed it lately, but people still manage to ignore me.  So:

- Make sure you use the “rematch” option in between games to do your button checks
- It is a button check, not training mode.  You do not need to hit the opponent to check that your buttons are mapped correctly
- Know what setting your joystick/controller maps to in the button configuration screen

before time so that you aren’t wasting time going back and forth adjusting each button one by one
Button checks are beginning to border on the ridiculous at our tournaments, and at nationals we are going to use a two strike system.  So check your buttons and then start your game.  People that start practicing combos on each other at Nationals are going start earning themselves yellow cards.

Do not come to whoever is organising the bracket and start bugging them to find out when your next match is.  The plan is that we will either have this on the projector or on a whiteboard for you to see upcoming matches.  Remember that we are going to be trying to run 5 tournaments on these two days, so be around when your game is being played.  Also it is probably a good idea to pack yourself a sandwich or something, to tide you over if you are getting hungry.  We will also be making sure that we provide time for everyone to go and get lunch.

This year we will be relying on the participants to play their matches and to report back to the bracket organiser with the results.  So make sure when you have finished your game that you report immediately to whoever is organising your bracket.  If we end up holding up a bracket due to you not being around or not reporting your result, expect to be DQ’ed.  Also don’t rely on someone else to report your game for you.  If you have just played John, then make sure both you and John walk over to report your game.  If John doesn’t tell the judge, you’re probably going to get DQ’ed.

Do not turn up late for the event.  We want everyone there at 9AM to start registration, and we are only giving people about an hour and a half to get registered.  I don’t care how bad the traffic is on that day, and I won’t care that you missed your alarm clock and slept in.  The night before go to bed early, get up early, and get to Giga on time.  Make sure you take into account things like how long it might take to get parking, and getting gas etc.

Also, don’t organise any thing for 5-30pm on Saturday night.  Most of us have been to a tourney now, and we all know that they tend to go overtime.  So plan for the worse possible outcome and expect the damn thing to not finish at 5pm.

And finally get familiar with the rules!  Don’t risk throwing your chance at winning by doing something dumb.  Link is here:
http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,541.0.html

So have fun everybody!  I’ll see you there!

HADOOOOKEN!!!!!

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Rorooze

A note on button checks, the longer you spend messing around for a button check, the more time we have to pay for hiring the gear, and that money comes directly out of the prize money. Ignoring these rules no only sets you up for a DQ but it also makes the prize money less, so please do it quickly!

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Man there's so many rules.

It's gonna be fucking epic this year bro. It's weazzy's revenge muahahahahaha.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

fluxcore

Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

Widen your eyes, there are always mountains higher than the ones you see.

CaptainHook

Just curious, how many people are you expecting to turn up to this?
I think i have to work on the saturday :( but hopefully can come watch sunday. SO keen.
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

Skullator

Quote from: stereomonkey on August 07, 2010, 07:02:34 AM
Amount  of people coming can be noted below.

http://nzism.alphaism.com/forum/index.php/topic,1153.msg35325.html#msg35325

And based on last years nats, quite a few people choose to just turn up on the day as well, so probably a bit more than those who have posted on the topic.

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Skullator on August 07, 2010, 10:37:36 AM
And based on last years nats, quite a few people choose to just turn up on the day as well, so probably a bit more than those who have posted on the topic.

What he said.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

Skullator

zos'la

fluxcore

For what? That's not the number of ppl that entered SF4 at last year's nats.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

zos'la

fluxcore

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"