• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Dark Awake PSN (AKA Chaos Breaker in the Arcades)

Started by ROCOABC, August 10, 2010, 04:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROCOABC

//Note - Sorry all.  Just Noticed there is another thread for Dark Awake.  If the moderators need to close or move this then please feel free to do so. 

Hi guys.  Last week in the Jpn PSN store saw the release of Dark Awake (2000 Yen), a 2D fighter that was released in the arcades in 2004 under the guise of Chaos Breaker.     

So "What is Dark Awake"?  Well lets see, it is a 2d fighter which is team based (3 vs 3) based on the universe of Orcs, Goblins, Barbarians, Mages, etc.  You get the idea I hope.  On top of that you also then pick an item.  Items have special abilities towards certain characters as well as providing limited usability to enhance your current character for a short burst of time.

"3 vs 3 you say.." I heard you asked.  Yes similar to the Kof series but your remaining partner can also jump in for an assist similar to MvC2.  This will cost 1 super bar.  You can build up to 3 bars max.  Also, using an item will also cost 1 bar.  Pretty much once all 3 characters have been eliminated, you lose.  Within the team, there are 4 slots.  By default 3 of the slots will be set aside for your team members and one for an item but you can also customise (I've yet to set aside time to properly do this) your slots to have 2 fighters and 2 items or 1 fighter and 3 items but you can't have 4 fighter and zero item.  That means if you know your character well enough you can pick the correct items to stack their stats.  There are 18 characters and 40 items.

With items the general idea is pretty much the following.  Each item has a specific effect towards on of the character.  For example the Daemon Club will give the Troll (Big ugly dude with a giant club) increase in defense and increase in attack normally by just having the Troll and the item within your team but if you don't have Troll in your team then you will need to use the item with the character you are currently using at a cost of 1 bar to get the effect which usually last approximately 8-10 secs.  Each item also gives an additional super to boot.

Buttons (The Basic)
A - Weak Attack
B - Normal Attack
C - Strong Attack
D - Kick

Forward/Back + D (close) - Throw

FF/BB - Dash

Down~Up (Quickly) - Super Jump

Any button just before hitting the ground - Tech Roll

(By default)
A+B - Assist 1
B+C - Assist 2
C+D - Item

PSN Release Changes

• Ramda and Sandra (Barbarian guy and girl) has been redrawn.  Their old look is selectable by holding select while selecting with A, B, C or D.  They actually look very different as the old art they look alot more anime and alot less barbarian like.
  • Smooth graphics option available.  This really does clean up the overall look of the game.  Just don't expect anything amazing or high res

A few links below.  Enjoy.  If anyone does end up downloading the game, hit me up.  I have the game and have been playing it alot.  Lets hope this game comes across to our PSN store.  Its amazingly fun to muck around in and definitely have the ability to be a deep fighter once you learn each character, the items, etc.  Also, the game has wicked smooth animation for a 2d fighter.  I am working on the items and their effects with the help of SRK and Japanese Wiki and will hopefully be able to post new stuff if there are interest.

Dark Awake Official PSN Site
http://www.recom-corp.co.jp/darkawake/

Chaos Breaker (Arcade) Matches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saILFc9NkLQ

Casual PSN Match (Not me playing)

CrazyMobius

I'll be keeping my eye on peoples general reception. But am interested.

geneterror

Any idea of a release date for the U.S or N.Z store release?
KOW 2011

electric

Great write up ROBOABC

It sounds pretty fun - I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I could get a copy of it
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

stereomonkey

Damn it!  Why not on xbox live arcade :'(

I wanna troll people in 2d!
"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

electric

Quote from: stereomonkey on August 10, 2010, 07:17:24 PM
Damn it!  Why not on xbox live arcade :'(

I believe you already know the answer to that one, Stu...
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

Lennysaurus

Quote from: electric on August 10, 2010, 07:22:04 PM
I believe you already know the answer to that one, Stu...

Yah stu its obvious.  The xbox doesn't lag enough for this game.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Damn that game looks like shit lol. Stupid psn still getting stupid games. Oh well ps1 classics own.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

ROCOABC

Quote from: [NYC] weazzyefff on August 10, 2010, 10:30:08 PM
Damn that game looks like shit lol. Stupid psn still getting stupid games. Oh well ps1 classics own.

Yeah.  Not a looker by any means especially when you play it on a big LCD.  Looks great on a CRT though.

That aside the game plays really well.

Single player is pretty different.  The better you play - eg perfect rounds, super finishes, etc you will be awarded items to switch between matches.  Also, you have to gain around 25+ (I think) items during single player to unlock the true final boss.  In between you will face 2 other bosses.  A mid boss Manticore which you have to fight in 2 occasions, once around the 3rd match and then again prior to a semi last boss.  The semi last boss is a very overpowered mage lady.  Now after defeating her and you have enough item, the gate will open and you will get to fight the true last boss; a big red dragon.  The dragon's head is what you will be fighting as the head takes up a good chunk of the screen while its neck and body animates in the background.