• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

DID YOU SEE THAT? That was the DAMAGER!

Main Menu

Tournament players banned for match fixing.

Started by CrazyMobius, October 29, 2010, 11:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyMobius

Here is an article about some Smash Bros tournament players who were banned for planning a forfeit or match fixing. Just wondering about other's thoughts on this in relation to the NZ scene. This is something we seem to be a bit more relaxed about. What do others think?

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/10/27/top-smash-players-banned-from-mlg-due-to-fixed-matches.html

Rorooze

I don't think it's an issue to be honest :o

Do you think somebody purposely lost a game at the nationals?

[edit] blergh [/edit]

massi4h

What you talking about Rory?

In other news Jack vs Fong at nationals is on youtube, what an epic comeback by Jack!!!

M2K = god of SSBM, I'm pretty sure he got all the frame data by hand. Pot splitting has happened heaps in all Smash tournaments, pretty stink that MLG banned them if you hear the whole story.

This instance really wasn't match fixing either, they agreed to split pot in the loser's final and sorted it out later.

Match fixing is generally where people purposely lose matches to change certain situations. It happens in WCG tournaments alot (especially starcraft and fifa so I've heard) cause the players know once they get out of pools it's single elimination and they want to do the best for their country so they try to avoid playing eachother.

It can happen in double elim if someone really wants to knock someone out, but they're pretty stupid to risk their tournament life to do that. We run double elim all the time, and nothing like that ever comes up.

Rorooze

Quote from: massi4h on October 30, 2010, 12:15:29 AM
It can happen in double elim if someone really wants to knock someone out, but they're pretty stupid to risk their tournament life to do that. We run double elim all the time, and nothing like that ever comes up.

nail on the head.

Pinolicious

I think if you want to split the pot, that's ok, just still play to the best of your ability

There's a difference between intentionally matchmaking to affect results/brackets and splitting the prize

I am against agreed prize splits and just fluffing about in a hyped tournament match though
<PSN> Kriselda

evenflow

You have to play by the rules, as a player entering these tournaments you agree to the rules.

There has been a much much bigger example of match fixing (involving betting and potentially millions of dollars) in starcraft:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=125601

That sort of thing is far more serious and the more betting is involved in this realm well, the more serious this sort of thing becomes.

fluxcore

In a corporate/pro league, it's important. In anything else, it just makes for unimpressive matches, which lessens the event.

Anyone doing that in grand finals for example should be ashamed.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

Lennysaurus

Quote from: fluxcore on October 30, 2010, 09:31:06 AM
In a corporate/pro league, it's important. In anything else, it just makes for unimpressive matches, which lessens the event.

Anyone doing that in grand finals for example should be ashamed.

Ditto

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Quote from: massi4h on October 30, 2010, 12:15:29 AM
In other news Jack vs Fong at nationals is on youtube, what an epic comeback by Jack!!!

hahahahahaahahahahahahaahahaahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!