• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Wugga is eating uppercuts

Main Menu

Street Fighter 4

Started by fluxcore, October 18, 2007, 07:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelgrim

Man after playing BB I find SF4 way to slow
i'd rather play IK+   ;D

Have yet to play MVC2 but will likely get that soon - looks fun.
Hopefully its success will spur Capcom into making MVC3
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

moose!

MVC3 is some pretty wishful thinking.

HoneyBadger

Quote from: moose! on August 27, 2009, 04:57:14 PM

People would've said the same thing about SF4 a while back
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

electric

Quote from: moose! on August 27, 2009, 04:57:14 PM

I agree

Whilst I didn't personally get into the whole 3S game so much, I did think it had some absolutely AWESOME characters. Makoto in SF4 ? YES PLEASE!

Would also like to see more Q, but I don't know whether he'll fit too well into the SF4 universe
"gief can jump above the screen and pummel all over the place..." - Zosla

fluxcore

Quote from: moose! on August 27, 2009, 04:29:18 PM
Oh wow, this thread...

Really useful post.
BTW 3s sucks, I'd rather play SFIV any day.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

moose!

Quote from: fluxcore on August 27, 2009, 05:09:09 PM
Quote from: moose! on August 27, 2009, 04:29:18 PM
Oh wow, this thread...

Really useful post.
/parried.

fluxcore

And that's what most of the problem is. At least SFIV only makes you not want to attack for half of the match.
Any sufficiently godlike street fighter technique is indistinguishable from randomness

moose!

Just out of curiosity: did you ever play 3S enough to learn/come to grips with the parry system or did you just give up after being stomped by someone who did?

stereomonkey

"I got that peanut butter chocolate flavour"

[8-----D] Toots

^

I don't want to offend anybody but it sounds like a lot of people don't understand the games that they don't like. Sure option select parries and the like may be a little too strong but parry in itself is not strong. It's simply another part of the guessing game.

3s is a very offensive game. Watch any Dudley video and you will see that a round can easily end within 10 seconds.

And why is game speed such a huge factor to everyone? Is SFIV that slow that you can see through all the mixups, tech all the throw attempts, anti air every jumpin, punish every whiffed limb and so on. Get stuck in a Ryu or even worse Akuma 'vortex' and you will be hoping that the game was slower. Its almost like people don't want the time to think about what the other person is trying to do and would rather just eat mixups until there random guess hits and then proceed to mixup the other person. Almost all of the best players in New Zealand play an offensive style of SFIV. The only exceptions would be Andy, Richard and to a smaller extent me (I'll rush down if I'm in the right frame of mind).

Thought about the guard bar thing Leo and I really don't think it would work very well. Some characters would absolutely rape gaurd bars while others wouldn't be able to do jack shit. Basically the top tier would get even stronger.

:-*

maelgrim

SFIVs speed itself isn't a big problem.
in fact it can be a nice change of pace after BB et al
BB is harder work physically :)

But its purely a preference for some to like an even faster pace
and it has nothing to do with trying to mask or get away with whiffs etc that you might not have otherwise (for me anyway).

The strategy / tactics of a slower game like SF4 applies equally so to games like BB / ST etc its just your mind has to be trained to see whats happening and adjust faster - I prefer this - not saying i'm any better - its just more fun (for me) when you get into the zone. Takes a while to warm up though - its like playing later levels of tetris when everything is at warp speed.

Its probably due to the sports I enjoy (table tennis / fencing) where you have to be thinking 3 or 4 moves ahead at high speed. Unfortunately I am nothining like that with fighting games (oldy with family) but I do enjoy watching those that are.
Tell me something, Billy. How come a cute little guy like this can turn into a thousand ugly monsters?

Lennysaurus

Quote from: Toomeke on August 27, 2009, 06:02:58 PM
^
Thought about the guard bar thing Leo and I really don't think it would work very well. Some characters would absolutely rape gaurd bars while others wouldn't be able to do jack shit. Basically the top tier would get even stronger.

:-*

Yeah i get that.  A major change like a guard bar would require the game to have a huge overhaul.

I think when peoplee are talking about the speed, its not just the actual speed of the game, but more like the flow of it.  The way attacks string from one another.  The way the blockstun works to allow elaborate and fuun block strings.

The one MAJOR thing that pissses me off is how people can mash during your blockstrings.  AND DONT FUCKING TELL ME HOW TO BAIT A MASH CAUSE I KNOW!  If you want a dragon punch, you should have to do the motion properly at the time that there is an opening in a string.  not just mash like a twat every now and then and be rewarded with something that can on hit lead into ultra/etc.  Same goes for gief SPD in block strings.

I thnk people are getting worked up about nothing.  I like vanilla ice cream.  Someone else might like chocolate.  Another dude might like strawberry.  Just cause we like different ice cream, doesnt mean we have to argue which ice cream is better.  We should just accept the fact that each of us have different tastes and that we like our own ice cream for its particular reasons.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

HoneyBadger

You just say that cause my Strawberry ice cream owns that chocolate one you have.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

fluxcore

Yes of course I have tried 3s. I've been through this many many times on this forum already. I played the game religiously back when it came out and the US scene hated the game, and kept playing it for a couple of years. I started to get bored of it, and basically haven't seen any videos for many years that made me ever want to play it again, and I think that says enough about the game. If it makes any difference I bought it for dreamcast, I liked it that much back in the day. So yes, I understand the parry system and many other things about the game, as far as I'm concerned it's a game whose time was up about 3 years ago, and wasn't that good in the first place. This was the last year at evo as well from what I understand.

As for the speed in SFIV, there are two things which annoy me in fighting games. Longass combos that you get bored waiting around for (GGXXAC, BlazBlue, MvC2 are all very guilty of this), or games which reward runaway or turtling far too much. Usually there are a couple of chars in games which have strong runaway (Storm, that old geezer in Samsho5), but I think SFIV is very teetering on the edge of just being boring in general.

edit: Lenny I totally agree. I like vanilla too, and hate blockstring mashing bullshit. Block stun is stupid in sfiv. That's one thing I'll give 3s over it ;)

CrazyMobius

Quote from: fluxcore on August 27, 2009, 05:09:09 PM

Really useful post.

Cmon man. Don't be a dick. We get that you don't like 3S.