• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

Marvel vs Capcom 3: XFC owns you! Post release thread

Started by fluxcore, February 15, 2011, 08:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[8-----D] Toots

I know wolverine is easy but calling wolverine braindead is kinda ignorant bill and it has alot to do with how wolverine effects your team

As good as he is on point he has no value as an assist something you cant say about a lot of characters. He is very assist dependent/meter hungry if your playing against good opponents. He basically has nothing safe with out the use of assists or meter...I guess you could say he has a lot of strong gimmicks. Most divekicks are not safe when blocked and berserk slash is -12 on block. Your whole team has to be built around wolverine if you want to make a top tier team imo. If you dont have the right covering assist to help wolverine get in(arthur daggers, sent drones, akuma tatsu) you have to burn meter on berserker charge which also stops meter gain until it runs out. If wolverine dies the second character will often come in with little to no meter.

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

Wolverine is a much easier character to get into than say, Mags. And the execution barrier to do anything he needs to do is really low. Maybe braindead wasn't the right word, but what you said (covering assists, burning meter for safety etc) also applies to just about every other character in the game to some extent. Expecially rushdown characters wits a similar gameplan to wolverine. So it doesn't really justify anything. With that being said, its still easier to be effective with wolverine than with the vast majority of the rest of the cast in terms of rushdown/pressure.

Hes not braindead like say, Sent. Braindead was probably a far too strong a word to use. But in terms of being a rushdown/pressure character, hes by far the simplest one to use effectively.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

Lennysaurus

I think he is just simple to play is all.  Any character is brain-dead if that's how you play with them.

Dive-kicks aren't safe?  What's the down-low on that Ben?

I think Sent is just the same mostly.  Just have to be way more careful.  I play him very runaway now.  I also think that you have to have an assist that helps him control space now.  Whereas before you could zoom around the screen doing whatever you liked, now he has to cover his space well, with his approach and his zoning.  I just try to control as much space as I can, and use an assist to cover the gaps in my plan.  I find with this that I always have tons of meter to use by the time I land my hit, and use the strength of my teams DHC's to finish off point characters.  And then continue to zoom around and control space while building more meter.

NZism 2011 King of Wishful Thinking and Part-Time Hero

[NIUE] BIRRY WONG

If wolverines foot tags you high in your hitbox, you can jab him iirc. But if the foot hits you from the waist down, its safe.

Simple to play is what I should've said. Thats what i meant anyway.
<Smoof>
He's the hero NZism deserves.
But not the one it needs right now.
So we'll hunt him.
Because he can take it.
Because he's not our Hero.
He's a Niuean Guardian.
A watchful poster.
BIRRY WONG.

[8-----D] Toots

The only hard thing about mags is that he has low priority normals. He can get in by himself from anywhere on the screen and can be threatening at fullscreen with em disruptor. Sure wolverines combos are piss easy but what does that matter. Are we talking about how easy a character is in terms of the first month of the game? If so then there really is no need for an argument because it doesn't matter. Besides rom which isnt even his best combo now magnetos combos arent too hard at all and he can do damage that is significantly higher than wolverines that builds more meter. Magneto can mix you up high low left and right safely with out the need of an assist. Wolverine has to use an assist to create any mixup besides unsafe berserker slash crossup and walk up throw. Also how many characters fall into the same role as wolverine? a character that is only effective on point and at close range? felcia thor and skrull I guess?

Sents not braindead anymore because jumping around doing random shit will get you killed more often than not same goes for mashing drones assist. I agree that he is the simplest (not by far unless your talking about day one wolverine vs day one mags) rushdown focused character but he has short comings that I dont think many other rush characters have that will soon have to be made up for by smart play instead of mash assist berserker slash lol next game.

Nick4now

Quote from: [8-----D] Toots on March 25, 2011, 03:13:25 PM
The only hard thing about mags is that he has low priority normals. He can get in by himself from anywhere on the screen and can be threatening at fullscreen with em disruptor. Sure wolverines combos are piss easy but what does that matter. Are we talking about how easy a character is in terms of the first month of the game? If so then there really is no need for an argument because it doesn't matter. Besides rom which isnt even his best combo now magnetos combos arent too hard at all and he can do damage that is significantly higher than wolverines that builds more meter. Magneto can mix you up high low left and right safely with out the need of an assist. Wolverine has to use an assist to create any mixup besides unsafe berserker slash crossup and walk up throw. Also how many characters fall into the same role as wolverine? a character that is only effective on point and at close range? felcia thor and skrull I guess?

Whaaaat? What's his best combo now? I'm here to learn  :D So far I've been using the j.H -> adf -> j,M -> j.H -> land loop, and still in the middle of mastering rom (sjub.H -> addf -> sj.H -> land loop) but can only get like 3-4 reps consistantly atm.

The Self-proclaimed Christchurch Hyper Fighting 2011 Champion

Nick4now

Wow that's awesome! Thanks Ben, it looks easier than ROM to pull off too. I'll have to see for myself  ;D From watching that video the damage total was 608,900. Any idea how much damage/meter it is with the cr.L, cr.M, cr.H, launch starter?

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Hard doesn't sound like much ay but how much with the super at the end?

Dante would have mean dmg if his combo's weren't so stupidly inconsistent due to difficulty.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[8-----D] Toots

608k with no meter is pretty massive weazzy.

I haven't learned that exact same combo but it should be around 550k with c.lmhs

[NIUE] weazzyefff

Oh yeah i know i fucked up my sentence hahaha. That's what i meant to say. It's cos his super is so weak. Well i don't know the dmg. But it looks weak as shit.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

whos supers weak ?
all magneto supers do beast damage
"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "

HoneyBadger

608k with meter is decent damage. Therefore any extra damage is just beast.
my mum found dark dawn on the DS.

that game is gonna get raped.

MUMMYHALA

Nick4now

Quote from: [NIUE] weazzyefff on March 25, 2011, 04:47:13 PM
Oh yeah i know i fucked up my sentence hahaha. That's what i meant to say. It's cos his super is so weak. Well i don't know the dmg. But it looks weak as shit.

Comboing into Mags' Gravity Squeeze is almost ALWAYS guaranteed a kill. Tempest also gives a ton of damage and Magnetic Shockwave is only weak (for a Hyper) in the corner.

But like everone else said, 600k is A LOT of damage for a meterless/no assist mid-screen combo.

Btw is there a way to combo into Tempest mid screen? Or is comboing Hyper Grav xx Tempest in the corner the only way?