• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

WWBWD?

Main Menu

earthquakes

Started by Rorooze, March 11, 2011, 09:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorooze

holy shit. japan got hit by a magnitude 8.9 earthquake. massive tsunami. wtf.

massi4h

Yeah that shit's insane. Was watching it on the news and thought wow those cars in the background are flowing like water on that motorway. Oh wait that's no longer a motorway farrrk. EQ was 120kms off shore so main worry is the tsunami.

[NIUE] weazzyefff

OMG i know ay. So sadd. I hope Daigo is alright. THere's ships on the fucking road and shit.
Bison: [to Guile] Something wrong, Colonel? You come here prepared to fight a madman, and instead you found a god?

Das Right bitch, G Weazal is GAWD!!!

Rorooze

see that oil refinery? fuuuuuuuuck.

CptMunta

The pictures coming through are crazy. So sad.
Munta on the web: www.pavementart.co.nz
PSN: CptMunta

amendonz

Quote from: [NIUE] weazzyefff on March 11, 2011, 09:15:13 PM
I hope Daigo is alright.

made me lol.

in seriousness tho, pretty scary shit.

Rorooze

apparently the peak ground acceleration was around 0.25g (average) which is heaps less than the recent CHCH earthquake (which was around 0.6 to 1.0g)

CaptainHook

I'm starting to think maybe i should talk to Jason from Opshop about saving a spot in his ark for 2012. :(
Xbox Gamertag is ZERO's, not capital "O"s ~~ CaptainH00K

CrazyMobius

tsunami warnings for NZ

originaljulz

Dude govt issued official warnings about a nuclear power plant having electrical problems. Holy fuck.
HEAVEN OR HELL? DUAL ONE. LETS ROCK!

Rorooze

yeah, releasing air to prevent their systems from collapsing. mother fucker. that's the equivalent of nz releasing all of clyde dam...

Filter

about the huge explosion at the Fukushima #2 nuclear power plant, this is the latest that I have heard, altho there are a lot of conflicting reports going on, this one at least is coming from a government spokesperson:
'‎'Officials of Japan's nuclear safety agency also said after examination that they believe there has been no serious damage to the container of the No. 1 reactor, judging from the latest radiation data monitored around the facility.''
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77156.html

about the initial radiation leak of cesium and iodine Brian Dunning of skeptoid  (who is a pretty trustworthy guy) said:
'how bad is current radiation? They say 1,000x normal. // 2.4 mSv per year is normal, 1000x that is a chest xray every 2 weeks'
http://twitter.com/briandunning
That is still a lot tho and I sure wouldn't want to get that kind of a dose. I think it may be possible to calculate your chance of illness using the linear hypothesis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_no-threshold_model

Filter

a nuclear physicist on Aljazeera just now is speculating that by the looks of the explosion he thinks the inner containment of the reactor has exploded and it's likely that the radiation would have escaped.
fuck this shit.