• Welcome to New Zealand Fighting Game Forum.

News:

Newbies: feel free to ask for help! We can do training sessions online as well!

Main Menu

Slips' article on Tekken's Crush system

Started by LN, March 15, 2011, 08:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LN

A Tekken Tag Tournament player's good/bad/ugly evaluation of a mechanic introduced in Tekken 5 to solve a particular gameplay problem. I don't particularly care if you don't like Tekken, it's still interesting to think about how a game system element is designed and how it actually works out, so I recommend reading this even just to broaden your horizons a bit.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2011/3/14/crush-system-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-an-article-by-sli.html

There is no knowledge that is not power

Pinolicious

Ha, this conditioning of playing fighting games like this is probably why Toots rages when I whip out that crouching short!

QuoteAnd while the odds are not in the favor of the player without frames to guess right, the reward for when they do guess right are so great that it is worth trying for nearly every time.  To the point where it skews the reasoning of relying on the good old fashion form of defense of simply blocking correctly.

I never really, and still don't get into frame data.  I just know, after experience, that certain moves beat out certain other moves.  Slow way of learning?  Probably.  Interesting read none the less!

Also the next paragraph describes my 50-50 Christie style playing

QuoteIt has changed the game that once rewarded a player’s knowledge, instincts and fundamentals, into a game that now rewards chance, haphazardness and desperation.

Oh how I love the Christie mixups!

Cheers for that LN
<PSN> Kriselda

[NIUE] B1ackstar Ninja

"Attack me if you dare , i will crush you "